New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
DerVVulfman

Java Dropdown issues...

This might booster incentive in Marked's earlier thread:
http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/12756-idea-reverting-to-traditional-forum-format/

Now I don't mind the layout so much as I do mind the java-based Dropdowns... especially when my home pc as well as others would be using features like Ad-Block which causes major hiccups.  Even my forum has dropdowns, but not nearly so problematic as these.

As an example, my home PC shows the dropdowns  (Refinery Forums Games...) at all times, including the Sign-In screen.  I endeavored to manually type the URL to get to the sign-in page.  Even there, the dropdowns covered every field and button so I could not use my mouse to click into the fields.  I did manage to use the [TAB] key to eventually enter my User and Password.  However, nothing allowed me to enter the forum.  Hitting [Enter] in the fields did not work and the Sign-In button only works by mouse click.  The dropdown areas prevented signing in.

So perhaps a refining of the dropdown options could be considered.  Not everyone will relent to turn off protection systems that hate Java. 

I take my java in the morning with two sugars and milk. :grin:

Gonna need some information, if you don't mind.
- What anti-virus or adblock programs are you using?

- What browser do you use?

- Are you absolutely sure it's Java and not JavaScript?

For a possible, temporary fix: Disable adblock on this site only. There are no ads anyway, so you shouldn't see any problems.

There are ads actually, for all users with less than 6 posts. 

Perhaps your site's dropdown's use CSS. As I said in the other thread (which I saw before this was posted), the problem might be the use of CDNs. Perhaps in particular loading jquery from google: //ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js We could actually just make this local, obviously very easy. But not sure what the go is these days with this site. I'm retired, this design is half-down and the market has moved on. Perhaps replacing this site with a fresh install of maintained software is the best approach. Then I would expect these types of issues to disappear as well. 

Still here, though posting is only available at work.  HOWEVER, loading the forum allowed me to screencap what I receive at home:

post-22789-0-74202300-1543527936.png

Unlike work, the dropdowns stay in place and do not vanish after the forum loads.  This includes the sign-in/login screen so mouse clicks are blatantly blocked.

Insofar as browsers, I have IE, Seamonkey (a Mozilla product similar to Firefox), a Chrome-based browser that comes with Avast Antivirus Suite, and a browser called Brave (recommended by a friend).  At no point does the dropdowns vanish at home.

For my anti-virus, it is Avast Internet Security.  However, I have tried entering the forum with the antivirus turned off.

As to other preventative measures, I have NoScript which works on my copy of Seamonkey.  It does not function on any of the other three browsers.  However, I also have gdunlimited.net under its whitelist category so it should have allowed its function.

As it stands, using browsers other than Seamonkey while Avast and its firewall protection should function.  However, no joy.  BUT...

... one thing to note:  AOL Dialup.   Yes, I have been in the gaming community since the early 2000s, and I still have dialup.

post-22789-0-74202300-1543527936_thumb.png

Edited by DerVVulfman

Thank you for posting in such detail. 

It is pretty amazing you still have dial up. I thought I was late to the broadband party... in 2006. 

I do think that I understand the cause of the issues that you're having and I know how to fix them. But as you can see, I have decided to call it quits with maintaining this website and there are presently no efforts to revive its activity. In all likelihood the website will be shut down soon.