New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
zahraa

What is happening?!

Hello guys

There is something that I really want to tell you:

when I entered this site,It was an amazing place full of active and advance members (Yeah now you can guess what I'm going to talk about) When I posted my problems,I got a lot of useful answers though my english was much worse than now and it made me so happy.I learned many things and I really felt like people care about me and my problems.Anyway I'm not new with RM now (and I couldn't make it without your helps) but i'm seeing that this site is falling and there is no excitement here.I know members are trying to make it better and I appreciate them so I decided to share my idea to make the site better:

Note: Maybe it's not a very new idea but I believe it's so good

Problem:

let's start it with an example: When I finish my game,I'm not going to work with RMXP anymore and will find more advanced engine so i have to leave this site.I believe this is the real problem.When people learn about RMs then they try to work with something more professional so they'll leave the site and look for a new forum.

Solution :

Well i think the solution is obvious now.As the title of this site says here is game development unlimited so we better don't limit ourselves with enterbrain's makers.there are much more out there at least we must have 2d and 3d sections but i think it makes the site more complex for newbies so we'll make a small cute creature at the corner of page that can help them.I know it's going to be hard to develop but It'll be amazing.next step is advertisement that can help us to bring many game developers from anywhere.

End :

At last,I can see a very good future for this site full of new members.I told this cause i really want to bring those good feelings back also I'm here and listening for your feedback so that we can have a great GDU again :)

yeah, this site has all the potential, we just need to tell people about it.

maybe we can team up and advertise on other sites. like, if someone made resources, they can post a topic about them, but link people to download them from here. or, post their finished game there, and add a link to their game-topic here. we can also make banners and add them to our signatures on other forums. something listing the site's features: get your own game page, chat, or join us in making a community game, at GDU. if downloads can be made only available to members, it may help.. or it'll just annoy people. either or ;)

I think the problem is because of lack of activity. We have our own matter to attend in real life. Also some of us developing game independently. Perhaps there's some team, but only one person that active in the forum while other members are either inactive or not having an account :p

I though we should make some project together and show the progress in the forum to show some activity. I think it should enough to make other people join in the activity. I was hoping FP14 can make this happen, but looks like it low on participant, and the update is rather slow.

I think the problem is because of lack of activity. We have our own matter to attend in real life.

Of course the problem is lack of activity but we want to know why activities decrease from 1 year ago as i said I believe we can't go any further with RMXP and VX we must support more engines 

I think the site really died when a lot of our contributing members left. We had really good resident scripters and people who generally contributed to discussions, support topics, etc. The fall of RPG Maker XP has really hurt us, but our traffic flow has remained satisfactory by supporting RPG Maker VX Ace.

We have talked about including other engines for about forever. The trouble is that I am the only architect here, and I do not know any other engines. How can we add support? I need to figure out how to structure the site properly for adding in further engines, if I am even capable of doing that... (which I'm not sure).

The site is user-powered. I have been building this site for years and years and I can't do any more. Well I can, but I gotta get on with other things.

We have talked about including other engines for about forever. The trouble is that I am the only architect here, and I do not know any other engines. How can we add support? I need to figure out how to structure the site properly for adding in further engines, if I am even capable of doing that... (which I'm not sure).

The site is user-powered. I have been building this site for years and years and I can't do any more. Well I can, but I gotta get on with other things.

When admin doesn't know if he wants to continue with the site or not then I must shut up :\

When admin doesn't know if he wants to continue with the site or not then I must shut up :\

No, like I say I am just the architect. The site should not be dependent on me. Pol is the admin here, my usergroup is owner :P

Observe: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=244166401+seconds

This is how long I have been doing this. 7.7 years. 2,826 days. I have made foolish sacrifices and right now I have regrets about sacrificing the time I already have. I really fucked some things up in my life in the last 3 years. Whether it's because I was sitting at a computer for far too long is unknown, or maybe I'm using it as an excuse, but the point is... I am leaving soon for good, at least in the role that I have been doing. If the site dies, which won't be a surprise to anyone, that would really be rubbing salt into the wound for me. But it is what it is. There's a reason people don't stay here, right?

There are two things that are quite concerning. First, I often the feel the urge to irreversibly delete the site which I sometimes see as a symbol for my failures, and second, no staff members have replied to this topic.

You know, I kept going knowing this would end in almost certain failure. It's all my fault.

Yeah... I should stop listenting to this depressing music, reflecting on stuff and posting........ :dizzy:

omg, what have you been listening to ?

I can't believe you're blaming yourself.. please say you're joking

omg, what have you been listening to ?

I can't believe you're blaming yourself.. please say you're joking

He isn't lying. I don't know if I can talk about our admin's condition. I won't say anything to respect it.

To be honest I think we have a lot of good members at Gdu and we still have.

If I was a average member and never see activity I would definitely leave.

However I think our staff is just lazy to post topics.

Same goes to members. No one replys because they're lazy.

Since bob and me are global mods we should keep the fourms more active and fun. Make sure that the staff is there for new members.

No, like I say I am just the architect. The site should not be dependent on me. Pol is the admin here, my usergroup is owner :P

Observe: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=244166401+seconds

This is how long I have been doing this. 7.7 years. 2,826 days. I have made foolish sacrifices and right now I have regrets about sacrificing the time I already have. I really fucked some things up in my life in the last 3 years. Whether it's because I was sitting at a computer for far too long is unknown, or maybe I'm using it as an excuse, but the point is... I am leaving soon for good, at least in the role that I have been doing. If the site dies, which won't be a surprise to anyone, that would really be rubbing salt into the wound for me. But it is what it is. There's a reason people don't stay here, right?

There are two things that are quite concerning. First, I often the feel the urge to irreversibly delete the site which I sometimes see as a symbol for my failures, and second, no staff members have replied to this topic.

You know, I kept going knowing this would end in almost certain failure. It's all my fault.

Yeah... I should stop listenting to this depressing music, reflecting on stuff and posting........ :dizzy:

owww take it easy it's just a site,If you feel like you're bored or you're losing important things in your real life then go and leave the site,No one should blame you,you even can leave for a while and make everything good in the real life then come back with a new site,I sometimes feel like computer is stealing good thing from my life either (I thought it's just me but hey I'm not alone!)....anyway don't worry every problem has a solution.I gave the suggestion for a change because i thought you're ready to make everything better but If you're in trouble with your personal life just forget about my idea.I'm not mad or sad at all.

BTW what were you listening to? I haven't ever seen you like that before :shock:

RPG Makers are dead or rapidly dying, that's were I believe the problem lays... The only way to regain life is to evolve with the times and introduce specific sections for other mainstream engines onto the site, such as Cinema 4D, 3ds Max, Maya, Unreal Engine, Unity or even Google Sketchup. As already noted, there needs to be people who understand these programs for trouble shooting, general advice etc but at the same time how are we going to get anyone if we don't introduce them to the site?

I hope that if these engines had their own section on the forum, maybe even a Sticky thread like a 'Currently active games in dev' thread (we the users would have to find games currently indev or already released form say other websites, even youtube vids) then we would attract people who use those engines, hopefully :P

Edited by madanchi

RPG Makers are dead or rapidly dying, that's were I believe the problem lays... The only way to regain life is to evolve with the times and introduce specific sections for other mainstream engines onto the site, such as Cinema 4D, 3ds Max, Maya, Unreal Engine, Unity or even Google Sketchup. As already noted, there needs to be people who understand these programs for trouble shooting, general advice etc but at the same time how are we going to get anyone if we don't introduce them to the site?

I hope that if these engines had their own section on the forum, maybe even a Sticky thread like a 'Currently active games in dev' thread (we the users would have to find games currently indev or already released form say other websites, even youtube vids) then we would attract people who use those engines, hopefully :P

You do have a good point there.

Still i think we should go easy on Mark. He already said that he doesn't know about any game engine besides RPG MAKER. Sure RPG MAKER isn't powerful and it still limits the user in many ways. but the rpg maker series are decent game engines especially XP.

But on today standards developers are looking for game engines to make money now a days and copy the gaming industry. Which for me is a good start but my only complaint is that many developers now a days don't really care about innovating the industry which saddens me. There are few developers that do such things.

Anyway back on topic. I think we should have our doors open to the game engine Unity since most of us are quitting on rpg maker and moving on to Unity which is a really powerful engine (feature wise) and people are starting to use it for it's flexibility.

Anyone agrees?

Sorry guys :dizzy:  It is the next day and I am embarrassed that I posted that lol. I haven't updated my music collection for several years and I don't listen to it regularly but sometimes I'm bored and I just play what's there and if I'm down to begin with... x.x

Anywhosies, our 3rd most viewed page on the entire website is this: http://www.gdunlimited.net/engines/rpg-maker-vx-ace ThereforeI think we should immediately create these pages and as well as some new forums.

I can tell even among you guys Unity is really popular. We could create a new forum category just like these guys for Unity

460dd2d3936291c1669917aba8674c24.png

Perhaps we could start out with introducing just Unity and see how the process integrating it goes. :)

Sorry guys :dizzy:  It is the next day and I am embarrassed that I posted that lol. I haven't updated my music collection for several years and I don't listen to it regularly but sometimes I'm bored and I just play what's there and if I'm down to begin with... x.x

Anywhosies, our 3rd most viewed page on the entire website is this: http://www.gdunlimited.net/engines/rpg-maker-vx-ace ThereforeI think we should immediately create these pages and as well as some new forums.

I can tell even among you guys Unity is really popular. We could create a new forum category just like these guys for Unity

Perhaps we could start out with introducing just Unity and see how the process integrating it goes. :)

Yeah that's right! but don't forget unity is only the start ;) Also we must add 3D graphics to our resource part and add some tutorials and you better use a 3D and unusual creature instead of that orange guy in first page :thumbsup:

You do have a good point there.

Still i think we should go easy on Mark. He already said that he doesn't know about any game engine besides RPG MAKER. Sure RPG MAKER isn't powerful and it still limits the user in many ways. but the rpg maker series are decent game engines especially XP.

Oh I wasn't going at Marked specifically, I was just giving my idea :p

I think introducing Unity is a nice starting point, definately could ease things into place rather than jumping into the deep end.