New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Update on GDU's future

Take this with a grain of salt. 

It is always exciting to throw around new ideas, starting something fresh. Following a notice of the site's closing, I was contacted by a developer with an offer of how a new GDU might look. It's tricky, because on one hand you want to protect something special against an unknown, on the other, it would simply disappear off the face of the earth anyway. It might be a matter of selling GDU. 

What is being discussed at the moment is exciting to me in terms of the development ideas being discussed. Not features, but constructing bespoke web apps which are maintainable, quick to build, and easy to expand. I'm very impressed with the formula proposed. 

Early days, but the following ideas are present: 

• New domain name, but retaining the "GDU" brand; 
  • Preservation of data of the forums, games, scripts, refinery, gallery, tutorials. 
  • IPB and the website otherwise being deleted and replaced with new software.

I just don't want them ordering Luke, me, or the mods around, or making changes to Discord. That's my main concern, really.

I mean, under a sale I would lose all control. There's some risk there. But considering a few weeks ago, the site was closing down, what do you really lose? The discord really is yours. Even someone wanted to, they couldn't take it from you. At worst, a re-branding. 

And I want the Discord to stay ours. They can make suggestions and help it grow, but I'm not afraid to cut ties if the new owners turn out to be douches. I'll give them a chance though :)

From my point of view, having someone passionate about my running the discord server can only add value. So I wouldn't worry. I would only anticipate issues where members wanted to be part of the management but were not on board with the direction of GDU as a whole (which I'm not sure of at the moment). 

Right now I'm just really excited about discussing the technical aspects being proposed, including rebuilding the entire GDU code-base within a few months using start of the art tech and modern development principles, i.e: 

• ​Elementizing standard component-like features and using this code base across everything. E.g. comments on all content. A change to the comments system implements changes across comments site-wide. 

• Every component, down to individual form-fields being elementised for ultimate maintainability. Therefore, the entire site will be updated across the board by updating individual components. 

• ​Underlying HTML mark-up and CSS classes belonging to a single CSS framework. In other words, only establish new CSS classes or HTML structures as an exception rather than a rule, leading to ultimate maintainability. 

• Forum integration will be done via a bridge, rather than hacky member and template integrations. A bridge is an advanced connection and data-sync which will result in flawless integration.

Easier said that done, but when implemented correctly, this will be lead a fantastic website experience. In particular, if GDU's various sections can be rebuilt in a matter of months, then imagine what else can be achieved.

Proof of concept under development. In other words, can they migrate all of the existing data (my requirement) to a new, modern system. If so, then I would expect GDU to be updated with new software and new management.