New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Moonpearl

An alternative engine to RGSS

Hi guys,

This is more of a project than an actual engine so far, but I thought you might like to hear that I'm trying my hands at an alternative to RGSS - that is, in short, something that would replace a RM project's Game.exe. In other words, it could override all limitations inherent to the RGSS standard engine, like its poor performances, inability to natively change resolutions, lack of support for mouse, and so on. I wrote a complete post about it on my blog, any feedback is welcome.

I must say this is very very neat. I dont know much of regular ruby outside of RGSS.

Ideally entirely compatible with any versions of RGSS-using RPG Maker, past, present and future, and all custom scripts available on communities

So in other words its just like RMXP with the latest ruby and RGSS, so we can still use RGSS scripts?

I must say this is very very neat. I dont know much of regular ruby outside of RGSS.

So in other words its just like RMXP with the latest ruby and RGSS, so we can still use RGSS scripts?

Basically, yes. There will be no difference to the end user except maybe less lagging, however the developers will get a lot of additional options - like changing resolution, FPS limit, using the whole keyboard and/or mouse... but the point is to recreate RGSS syntax and functions so that any existing RGSS code can be run directly. So you can think of OpenRGSS as a mere improvement to the existing RGSS. 

Now thats awesome! I so cant wait to try it out when you get a public version out. Just need to learn actual ruby lol.

Now thats awesome! I so cant wait to try it out when you get a public version out.

Thanks. I've just started so I'm not close to publishing anything yet, but I'm curious as to what people may think about that project. I mean they often say "it's okay if I can't do this or that with RPG Maker, I'll think of something else", but how okay is that in actuality, and what are the features people would like to have the most?

So this could use XP, VX, and Ace scripts? If so you are immortal!!

So this could use XP, VX, and Ace scripts? If so you are immortal!!

It depends on what you call use all three of them. It would not make scripts designed for one version compatible with another, just like magic, if that's what you mean. However, with some additional code to match each version's specification, it should be able to run XP, VX and VXA projects alike, as well as any future versions based on some hypothetical RGSS4. It's a replacement for RGSS, so as long as it's RGSS, my engine should be able to handle it.

I think your idea is brilliant. Can't wait to see it in action.

I get that not all scripts can co-mingle (heck not all XP scripts can work together) but if people try they could probably fix those compatibility issues. It would be cool to see what people could do with access to all RM scripts, and better use of keyboard, mouse and resolution. Heck I'd be happy with RMXP with better keyboard, mouse and resolution abilities, let alone use more than one RGSS

Actually to make things more clear regarding the "compatible with any RGSS versions", trying to get VXA scripts to work with XP scripts would be exactly the same as copying a VXA script into the XP script editor and hope that it would work. All three RGSS versions work on different premises so it's virtually impossible to make a script which would be perfectly compatible with all versions at once. However, each RGSS uses the same language, though in a slightly different way. That's why I said that OpenRGSS will ultimately be able to understand code from whatever version. However it will have to  sorta "switch" between XP, VX, and VXA modes - meaning it won't change anything whatsoever to compatibility between various RGSS versions.

Thanks for the feedback, dolarmak.

Hey guys,

So I've worked a lot on OpenRGSS this week and I'm almost done with the graphics engine. I also added windows and mouse support. Here a a few screens rendered with OpenRGSS (I know it looks just like RMXP but it's the very point isn't it?).

RMXP's title screen rendered with OpenRGSS

1_1.png

The same screen at a 800x600 resolution instead of the 640x480 default

3_1.png

OpenRGSS's built-in Options menu which allows resolution change, at both resolutions

Screenshot03_1.png

Screenshot05_1.png

An example of selectable windows with mouse support

Screenshot06_1.png

Test for text & windowskins

Screenshot08_1.png

You can find the entire report with detailed explanations on my blog.

Edited by Moonpearl

SWEET! Is it possible to scroll through a large list of options with the scroll wheel if you get what i mean?

Oh wow, it looks awesome Moon!

Thanks dolarmak. I must say I'm pretty satisfied with the result myself, especially when I think about all those long hours of coding and debugging...

SWEET! Is it possible to scroll through a large list of options with the scroll wheel if you get what i mean?

Well I'm not sure I do get what you mean. You can scroll through a list of options of any size using the mouse wheel, as you would in Windows. Now if you mean scroll faster, you get to set how many rows a single mouse wheel click will have the windows scroll at a time (default 2, which is neither too fast nor too slow, especially considering you will rarely have lists with hundreds of options anyways).

I cant wait to use my xp scripts in ace projects...hehehehe

You can actually already do that, someone has already solved that issue about 2 months ago.

It seems like despite my efforts to make things clear there remains some misunderstanding. OpenRGSS will not allow you to use XP scripts in projects other than XP. This is an issue relative to how scripts were designed in each different versions, and it's Enterbrain's fault if they won't work together, and there's nothing I can do about that. Sorry to kill your hopes.

Oh thats what ShinGamix was talking about, okay never mind then. I don't know why people think scripts are going to just automatically with each other just because someone builds another engine or extension. If the script didn't work before, it's not going to work now unless some reprograms it to.

You can actually already do that, someone has already solved that issue about 2 months ago.

Please tell me what you meant here. Any links with be greatly appreciated.

Oh thats what ShinGamix was talking about, okay never mind then. I don't know why people think scripts are going to just automatically with each other just because someone builds another engine or extension. If the script didn't work before, it's not going to work now unless some reprograms it to.

Why can one player understand al the forms of ruby form the older ones like XP and VX use to the new one ace uses. Reason is I tried taking all the vx scripts and erased ALL the ones from an ace project and added all the default VX ones and it didn't play.

Please tell me what you meant here. Any links with be greatly appreciated.

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,12899.msg173961.html#msg173961 

Why can one player understand al the forms of ruby form the older ones like XP and VX use to the new one ace uses. Reason is I tried taking all the vx scripts and erased ALL the ones from an ace project and added all the default VX ones and it didn't play.
Uh they didn't work because all the hidden scripts are different then VX and XP, their not going to just work without reconfiguration. This should be obvious from the way the database looks.

It's pretty much like you were asking why you can't connect a mini DV cable into a USB slot - well, the plug doesn't fit in, as simple as that. The developers made different choices at one point and you should rewrite the entire underlying engine to get scripts from another version work with it.

Hmm, back to the topic please?

Hey guys,

I made a video to show my latest progress with OpenRGSS. You can see that it looks very much like a RMXP project but doesn't run on any of RMXP's binaries. You can witness the use of the mouse, sound and music playback, and resolution change. Enjoy the show. (I recommend watching in HD/fullscreen).

Youtube Video ->

Also you might notice the music plays differently than how it does in RMXP. You can find full explanations about it on my blog.

Edited by Moonpearl

Now that is AWESOME! I never knew thats the way MIDI works. I always had great experience with MIDI to begin with but now im going to love it even more with OpenRGSS. :)

Keep up the awesome work Moon your really impressing me and getting me excited  :thumbsup: .

EDIT: little off topic but what would you recommend playing MIDI with to get the best possible quality(right now i use vlc player)?

I always wondered why from one player to the next Midis sounded different.

Your progress looks great Moon.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

EDIT: little off topic but what would you recommend playing MIDI with to get the best possible quality(right now i use vlc player)?

It's not a matter of what application you use but rather what soundfont. It's a bit like you were asking me what word processor to use in order to get the best-looking text. The best of course is a real MIDI synth (you can plug it to your computer via a USB/MIDI cable and then tell the system to route MIDI to your USB port instead of using its built-in synth), but this forces you to keep it on at all times, and you also need speakers for it so it seems a bit much just for the sake of getting top-notch music. That's why I introduced the third-party software synth option, you just have to set it up and then no more worrying about where your MIDI goes.

Now to suggest some soundfonts, Merlin Gold sounds just right and is small enough to prevent memory overloading. It works fine on my old ASUS EEEPC 1005HA, with just a small lag when the music loops. All of Merlin's are great in a general manner. The GeneralUser GS FluidSynth is even smaller but sounds a little awkward with some instruments so it all depends on what kind of music you intend to play back. You just need to get an application that supports soundfonts, and VLC does (you need to go to Preferences>Codecs>Audio Codecs>FluidSynth and specify the path of your soundfont).

This is amazing Moonpearl! It must take a lot of time and effort, and patience! I can't wait to see more updates. :)

This is amazing Moonpearl! It must take a lot of time and effort, and patience! I can't wait to see more updates. :)

Thanks for your appreciation CrimsonInferno. :) Actually it mostly takes a lot of planning ahead. One I've got everything cleared up in my head I do progress quite fast.

Are you still working on this? The mouse support look awesome! xD

Well I must admit I'm a bit stuck at the moment, and besides, the death of my small EEEPC sure didn't help. So the project is standing by right now but I'm not giving up on it.