New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.

MapExtractor

Authors: ForeverZer0

Version: 0.90

Type: Advanced Map Image Extractor

Introduction

This is small utility program I wrote in C# to easily extract maps from RPG Maker XP's .rxdata files and convert them to images to use for screenshots or whatever else you may need them for. It supports 7 different output formats and batch conversions. The program also is completely portable and does not write data anywhere to your registry, AppData folder, etc. There are numerous features (see below) that allow for altering the appearance of the map before saving, without actually having to change the map in the RMXP editor.

Features

• Seven different output formats: PNG, JPEG, GIF, ICO, BMP, TIFF, WMF
  • Enable/Disable event display
  • Enable/Disable fog display
  • Enable/Disable panorama display
  • Change screen tone
  • Supports event hue, opacity, and blend type (Subtraction blend mode is not yet finished)
  • Tree structure for selecting maps just as it is RMXP
  • Different sizing methods for the map display, including center, zoom, stretch, and fill
  • Intuitive interface for easy use
  • Easily create full-sized screenshots of your maps without using scripts
  • More to come!

Screenshots

MainForm.png

BatchSelection.png

ScreenTone.png

Download

MapExtractor 0.90 (1.88 MB)(Self-extracting archive)

Dependencies

Requires Microsoft's .NET Framework 4.0

Compatibility

The "Subtraction" blend mode for sprites is not yet finished. I implemented a "negative" of the images for now, which is not an accurate conversion.

Credits and Thanks

• ForeverZer0
  • Blizzard and winkio, for some help with sprite blend type

Author's Notes

This is a BETA version, and is still incomplete. I do have a few more features I would like to include in addition to fixing the blending issue.

• Resizing of map images and saving to those dimensions
  • Cropping
  • Importing individual Map###.rxdata files without loading a whole project (maybe)
  • Possible use of a rendering library to improve map speed instead of simply using the built-in GDI+

If you have a any ideas I would be happy to hear them. Keep in mind I have no intention of creating a whole new editor, so suggestions like adding new events, building maps, creating new layers, etc. will be ignored.

Please be sure to report any bugs. I tried a new method of combining many of the libraries into a single executable, which required a lot of trial and error to get a stable build. I did some debugging to try and ensure its stability, but it is possible a few bugs persist, so let me know about any you find.

while this is pretty cool, its been done before. there's another program called map maker, but yours looks better. the other one uses the data files from your project to make it look like its in game, but its not. just thought you should know. i might try this out though. mostly because of the hue thing. which seems to be one of the few differences. nice job either way alright.gif

edit: those other features you're planning on are great ideas. if you finish those, i'll definitely use this over the other one.

Edited by Bob423

Alright, I updated to 0.9.3

Changelog:

- Fixed screen tone issue.

- Fixed the exception on loading a project (?)

- Added a "Refresh" button to have the map redrawn. I don't think its needed, but there just in case

- Added a memory for last opened directory

On another note, I forgot to mention that you can open projects simply by dragging and dropping the Game.rxproj anywhere onto the form. You don't need to use the load dialog. I should have added that to the pain post.

Great find here. I have Omegas Map saver for VX and Ace so I hope this works just as good for XP!

How did i miss this awesome thing? This would have been so useful many times. I know what to recommend for a mapping contest now.

Looks pretty good, though seems the same amount of time as to just taking a screen shot.

~Keven

Not really since it saves the full size. If you have a small map that can fit in the window on default zoom then yes its the same time. but a big map you will have to take screens and piece them together to get the full quality of the map without the program.

Not really since it saves the full size. If you have a small map that can fit in the window on default zoom then yes its the same time. but a big map you will have to take screens and piece them together to get the full quality of the map without the program.

True, but I don't really need to see an image of a massive map. A simple section is good enough.

~Keven

I guess it really depends on what you want. There are some people who want to do a full Giant map, thats their thing. Now it's easier for them.

Looks nice, will have to try it myself.