New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.

What if...

You choose your race, player graphic, etc. for your account and then you could login using your account into an RMXP-like game and interact with other GDU members?

It would be easy enough to make, building from the following code http://rpgjs.com/examples/demo.php

I guess we could build our own world, right there for everyone to play online using their accounts.

What do you guys think?

We could extend the points into here.. like you can buy weapons with your points, or find things in here to sell for points. But that may undermine the points system somewhat. Just a crazy idea tongue.png

sounds cool, but what kind of interactions, what features would you add exactly?

sounds cool, but what kind of interactions, what features would you add exactly?

Definitely a battle system, which I believe this already has an ABS. Maybe a purse system where the loser has to surrender a predetermined amount of points. You would build your experience, stats and inventory. And chat, like going up to another player and typing into a box.

sounds fun, and since iv been spending a fair amount of time on teh site since joining, something i think i could def get into :P

Or a tactical RPG (there is a RMXP/VX script), where people can use points to recruit made up characters to there team; Sorta like FFT series.

This would be aswesome. It would be a nice way for members to gamble their points/gems/crystals. We could also hold events in the game to allow members to win points/gems/crystals. Could hold tournaments, boss fights, dungeons, and etc....

EDIT: We could also hold mapping contests and if you win your map goes in the game somewhere.

id be in for that :D although i dont think he ment a full on game like that

This sounds like it could be a good idea, but there is a problem that maintaining a game like this would mean a lot of work for for GDU staff.

There is the question as to what the intention of an Online RPG for GDU would be, would it be simply a way to use the points earned in the forums, or would it be a way to balance(or unbalance) the site economy? Would there be more to do in said RPG than battling each other or would there be quests in which we could do to earn more points, and experience? Would experience only be affected in the game or would actions taken on the main site(like posting) also affect experience points?

Last question I have is who would work on and set up such a game, would only one person set up, maintain, monitor, and update it, or would there be a select 'staff' of members who would do this? I only ask because these would have to be things to take into consideration.

Personally if the system is just going to be members battling members then I don't think it would work to well, may start off being a big thing but after awhile it would lose hype quickly, that is the big thing about online games, without newer content being released every so often, they quickly have a loss of use and are eventually reitred to being scrap code until they die never to be heard from again.

There is the question as to what the intention of an Online RPG for GDU would be, would it be simply a way to use the points earned in the forums, or would it be a way to balance(or unbalance) the site economy? Would there be more to do in said RPG than battling each other or would there be quests in which we could do to earn more points, and experience? Would experience only be affected in the game or would actions taken on the main site(like posting) also affect experience points?

This idea would allow for spending points in the game, no points would ever come out of it (except if other members points were somehow exchanged, ie battles). Because we have big ideas for the points system as you know. Points that can be 'found' without being earned in anyway could break the system.

Last question I have is who would work on and set up such a game, would only one person set up, maintain, monitor, and update it, or would there be a select 'staff' of members who would do this? I only ask because these would have to be things to take into consideration.

I haven't looked at the code but I'm pretty sure programming knowledge is required. There is a possibly is uses ruby though, which I do not know. Apparently you can import things from RMXP. But its likely just me.

Personally if the system is just going to be members battling members then I don't think it would work to well, may start off being a big thing but after awhile it would lose hype quickly, that is the big thing about online games, without newer content being released every so often, they quickly have a loss of use and are eventually reitred to being scrap code until they die never to be heard from again.

I agree. I didn't mean to define what this is going to be in any way. There is a nice existing base out there which is free to use and expand on, it could be what ever the community wants it to be. I agree with you, new content would need to be made every so often.

Maybe: we could make an actual project with a storyline and all, mixed in with all the interactions of other online members. By the way, I've never played an online RPG, MMORG (whatever that is, i spelled it wrong i think), etc. So we could have the interactions separate to the storyline. Then we could slowly build new storylines right into the actual game, and expand on it with new maps, etc. every so often. But we still need to have a heap of stuff to do within a limited number of maps. You know pokemon, those games used to keep you busy for so long within the world. There's got to be something to collect, build up, etc.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot to help with this, it would take all the help possible to make this a success. I also have a lot of experience with online RPG's, from working with a dev team (the project never saw release) to being a GM. Send me a PM if you'd like some help with working on this.

Thanks for the offer :) If you're still around when I'd have time for this project, I'll let you know wink.png Even the current release date I set for GDU is gona be extremely tight, and I plan to release it with a lot of sections uncoded. I've given myself 3 months to code the necessities.