New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
PhantomProdutions

Calculating Item/Enemy/Character Stats

Question

I have all my resources finished and am onto the bulk of the creating, but the only problem that I'm seeming to have is calculating the stat of my weapons and armors as well as the stats on enemies so that they are balanced with my character's stats.  So I was wondering if there are some tutorials or a stat calculator on this subject.

Engine: RPG Maker XP

Edited by PhantomProdutions

7 answers to this question

Unfortunately, the best way to do that that I've seen so far is just trial and error. :\

For each enemy, figure out how strong the player should be by the time that enemy is first encountered. Then, set the enemy's stats based on the player's and just do test battles until it's perfect.

Edit:

I ended up creating my own battle formula to make everything easier, but I caused more problems than I created because I never got very good with RGSS.

If I had my laptop, I could give you a script or two that can help you create your own stats. Also, creating your own formulas can help balance things if you do it right.

I know I found an online damage calculator for the default formula somewhere, but I can't seem to find it :(

Edited by Bob423

That's what I figured just figured with all the one man teams out there, there might have been something that someone created to make the process easier.  I used to have a guy that was good with the numbers, but since the project was pushed so much (Started back in '09) I'm all alone in it just to see if I can make it happen.  All well if you do come up with that calculator (Which I also believe I found awhile back too) let me know I'll try finding it as well.  

My friend is using Microsoft Excel to do things like this. He put the formula onto it, and just changing some value to balancing the stats. Not that I'm know what he's doing, but perhaps this could give you some insight. :)

Also you gotta realize what is balanced to one person is op to another,testing each monster how and then applying your own sense of balance is best my opinion. 

Unfortunately, the best way to do that that I've seen so far is just trial and error. :\

For each enemy, figure out how strong the player should be by the time that enemy is first encountered. Then, set the enemy's stats based on the player's and just do test battles until it's perfect.

This is really the only way to do it. You know where the player will encounter the enemy and should know what theyre stats should be about. just do some tests. on average a normal enemy should do about 10% damage to the party, a tough fight should do 25-30% and a boss fight should be around 70% damage. There will be people who grind so those people will find even tough enemies easy, but estimate minimal grinding for the players level.

A formula would be pretty useful. But yeah, so far I'm just making wide estimates with each different battle, then testing over and over again while making small changes each time. Trial and error. :P Time-consuming, but that seems only way...

(Been trying to figure out battles for about a week, they're a lot more difficult than I thought XD)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/72598m5axgpt/RMXP%20Damage%20Calculator%20v1.0.xlsx

Thats a spread sheet u input your numbers and it shows the damage, quicker than going into the game and fighting the battles.

Also allows u to see what effects what and by how much, so it's informative.