New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Phrono

[ISSUE] Annoying priorities / savegames bug - Help!!

Question

Hi people!

I found a curious (and annoying) bug related to the priority of the tilesets and saved games in my RPGMaker XP game:

When testing the game from the beginning all priorities are displayed correctly, or when I place the beginning of the game in a specific map and then make an event where some character is automatically added to the party.

BUT when I load a saved game, priorities are "out of step", making objects that would normally be above the character, are below.

You can imagine the result: The character goes above a LOT of objects, giving the feeling that I have not properly configured tileset priorities (which I assure it's done)  ;)  .

It seems that the character "loses" its priorities regarding the objects to load a game, which to start a new game or "return to the initial state" does not happen.

I have no idea about programming, just some basics (just enough to implement some script that I may like, and hardly), so do not think it's an incompatibility with scripts because I've used very few. However, I removed all scripts that had implemented except the "auto full screen Alt+Intro" trick.

Does anyone have any idea where this bug can be located and if there is any way to fix it? It's quite annoying and affects badly the gameplay...  :ehh: 

Thank you very much in advance.

12 answers to this question

The problem might be :

* Transparent tileset which is passable are placed on second or third layer. Make sure that you only use the most upper right transparent tileset when you want to erase the tiles you don't want to use on your map.

* You mess with the character setting in the "move event" command. Perhaps you set the priority to higher or something like that and forgot to turn it back.

I think that's all. If there's still problem, you can upload the demo of your game and I can check it for you.

Upper right!? Is not top left?  :dizzy:

I have all the tileset's upper left tile set to priority 5 and passable, and that's the one I use for erasing when making maps.

The "move event" use I have done it's very simple... do not even know how to change the priorities using it.

Thanks a lot for the tips!

Oops, yeah, it's the top left one. My bad :p

About the move event (or Set Move Route), there is command that can make the player is placed on top of other objects called "Always On Top" and there is command that can make player move through any terrain called "Through". If both are on, the the player will be on top of all objects and able to move through everything.

Hummm... i've been checking all of my move events and I have no used that function... I believe that's not the problem. 

Here you have the "move event" as shown in my RPXP (spanish version)... with the translation of functions.

nq4t2c.jpg

None of this functions have been used... ¿This is what you're about? If that's the case, I think that's not the problem...

In theory, everything is configured correctly. What surprises me is that it happens only when loading savegames. I tried restarting the game and creating new "clean" savegames and not worked... keep doing it.  :dizzy:

I apologize to administrators for creating the thread in the wrong section... :oops: I thought it was the appropriate, thank you for placing correctly.

Yes, that's what I meant. Anyway, since none of those are the problems, and I can't think any of another normal cause, perhaps you should try to upload your demo with working bug on it, or post some method to trigger the bug. I can check it for you on my spare time. :)

Edited by black mage

Ok, I've been looking and it seems that I left somewhere the "Bring to Front" option switched on...

So i tried, in the side events that I have in my maps, adding a "bring to front: OFF" and ... it worked!

I will do a deeper search in the code and if I can't find anything, probably I'll solve it by adding that option on all maps.

At least people will be able to save their games without strange things

Thanks a lot for the help!  :youcandoit:

Do you really need to turn that option on by adding events to all the maps, Phrono? 

I would have thought that switching it off after you finish your event would be enough, or does the player still need to move around while being able to pass through objects?

Just saying, because I did a very similar thing in one of my projects back then and ended up being confused when I came back to it after a while. imo it's good to cut down on the needed events, make everything simple as possible.

Well... that's just what I'd like to do. But I checked ALL the code, all events one by one, and I have not been able to find any "Move Event" command that includes "Bring to Front = ON".

Or am more awkward than I thought, or is it a bug related with something else... Anyway, I needed to fix it and this solution, although not the best, it's the only thing I've found so far that solves it... :oops:

Hm. Something curious I saw in your first post is that it only happens in a save game... It doesn't happen in playtesting?

I've also had similar problems with save files, only it's that the switches aren't activated even though they were before. But when I exported my game, the problems weren't present. I'm not sure what it means, but I feel that if the problem isn't present in the playtest, they shouldn't be there in the save files.

Or,

the problem is on one of the earlier maps you made. I'm wondering whether when you tested certain maps you just put your player right on the current map you were making. Then the error is in one of the events from earlier in the game. Although it does contradict what you said: "I tried restarting the game and creating new 'clean' savegames and not worked".

In any case, I could look through the project if you uploaded it. I'm actually curious about what this problem could be. Seeing your project on my English copy of RMXP could reveal potential evidence, since I'm only in my second year of Spanish and probably missed something in your screenshot.

I tested several times, saving the game while playing from the beginning (luckily it is not very long yet) , and kept happening.

I also tried to export it, even running it on another computer, and still happening with saved games (but ONLY with them, that's the funny thing).

I also think it has something to do with the previously activated switches, but not sure and what was happening with savegames baffles me ... It is assumed that the system stores the states of the switches when saving, as far as I know...

Anyway, so far I have managed to fix it and I still have things to work on, so when I have something fairly playable, I'll get a demo for people to take a look.

Interesting. Let me know when your demo is out--I'm really very curious about it, since my games have always had trouble with saves and switches. Who knows--it could be a script. I have plenty of them, and they always end up corrupting my files somehow. 

But I doubt it's that in your case, since you said you uninstalled all the scripts except for one, and I doubt that one is the cause.

Again, I'll be looking forward to your game's demo. I've been craving something good to play.