New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Firefox's new privacy feaures + poll

Browsing Privacy  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Browsing Privacy

• I care about my brower and internet privacy -
    • I don't want any company to own a log of my every move over the last decade but I'm too lazy to do anything about
    • I don't care. I didn't commit a crime... how does it affect me?

Chrome has been the number 1 browser for a few years and knocked Firefox off its pedestal. Which isn't overly surprising given the amount of resources Chrome had behind it... Firefox did an amazing job and not doubt facilitated the way for superior technology in terms of website capability and performance. 

Firefox have released a slew of new privacy features in it's latest version. A swing at Chrome perhaps? Not only are they differentiating from the competition but they're targeting user perception: We all know big bad Google is handsy when it comes to data collection. They still know what you're looking at even if you go incognito. But anywhere, here's what's new: 

• Forget that: a feature that allows you to remove all data related to browsing over a certain time-frame. 35f854ef2b040ab83ba745160d88544b.png
  • Private browsing (same as incognito)
  • DuckDuckGo: A new search engine that doesn't track you8daf5a931c7004d254c58fc1cb5e95eb.png

There's also an internet/browser poll related to this topic. ^ up there.

The forget that feature has kind of been around in firefox forever. Its the same thing but its called clear recent history and is still there.

iIobhUh.png

Tried DuckDuckGo for a while and it seems nice so far. only problem i have with it so far is the image/video search. when im searching for images/videos i want the search to be in a new page instead just a widget thing at the top.

Its all a step in the right direction for sure.

On a side note: is it possible to add HTTPS/SSL to this site? I just feel more secure when a site is HTTPS.

Private browsing has actually been part of firefox for years.

It's pretty sad that we live in a time where you actually have to take ridiculous amounts of time and effort just to protect your privacy, something that shouldn't even be at stake. Sure, people can use the "if you're not doing anything wrong/if you have nothing to hide, then it's not a big deal" bull, but seriously, we have the right to live our lives and do what we will without having major corporations (or the prism program for that matter) sticking their noses up our collective @$$es 24/7 just so they can spy on our daily lives.

In any case, I trust literally no browser with my privacy, it's just a matter of the lesser of two evils for me. I'm not totally convinced that mozilla (and certainly not google or microsoft) has our privacy at heart, for all we know, they all could be telling people that these features and sites don't do what these companies and browsers do, just to get better PR, I mean, do we really know that firefox doesn't track us while private browsing? Afterall, before, we really knew that chrome didn't track us during incognito.
We, the users, are essentially just pawn in their whole game, being used and told to take their word for it that they're doing something for our benefit, but we really don't know for sure, do we?

Something to think about.