New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Top Contributors Page

Hi all,

A few days I implemented a top contributors module on the forum sidebar. It was updating once daily, but I have since updated it to update point counts live :)

40807c7b35b8b702dba6ada384506712.png

The sidebar module will show the current week leader board. That means on Monday (GMT time) it will reset to 0 all. Therefore, everyone can compete against each other weekly.

You will notice a view all contributors link. That goes here

http://www.gdunlimited.net/all-contributors

This is the stats page. It shows these stats:

2c939def0546985d771add0f3da6146c.png

Obviously until next month, current year and current month are going to be the same thing because data has only been collecting this month. However by the end of the year we'll know who the top contributors over Sep - Dec are :)

Of course all these stats are relative and thus only show leaders based on current week, day, month and year. I may implement a date range changer to select specific times.

I have also decided to divulge one of the greatest kept secrets on GDU: how do you get points?

84f763606e58e17785b71905eb5f3c8e.png

Now you know :> Subject to change, of course. You could try to rort the system by constantly publishing games. But I'd find you. And kill you. 're games. :3

Hey! Nice to know that I'm a good contributor even being new here :)

Can I make a noob question? Is there any kind of reward for the points or something else, like trades?

I'm new here, so Y don't know (please don't kill me)

I intend to continue contributing even if there's no reward XD

There isn't right now... but I code something up. I really want to build a points system where people consider the points they have to valuable as attached to their account, so earning and spending points must be precisely balanced. So if you can buy something with your points, it must be set to the right price: not so expensive you think you'll never get there, not so cheap that everyone can get it so its worthless (and so are the points).

Anyway, I was thinking about selling advertising space for games (although that seems like a long way off, not until we get more (quantity) serious projects with games ready to play. I was also thinking about selling pro accounts for points - site subscription + pro game page (both in one package).

A long while back, we actually used to have a shop. I converted the VX style shop into a web style system, and you could actually attach it to your profile (refer http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/5257-rmxpu-shop/). You could chose your own class of 4 classes, then buy different weapons, shields, helmets etc. Actually this sounds a bit crazy. In 2010 we had 7.1 quake hit the city, uni was shut for 3 weeks so I actually built a web-based battle system where members can fight each other, using stats based on their class and weapons they bought. It was awesome and pointless.

Do you have any suggestions for a market? I do invision a marketplace of labor: trade points for game-dev related jobs. Eg you post up something like I'm looking for an amazing boss battle theme, completely custom. 100 points anyone? If that were to work, you must be actually really able to be able to trade them for something of value. A pro account in the games section might eventually suffice in the future, because you can remove all GDU branding and have it as an actual website (a current feature, eg rgangsta's project, but pro accounts is not a live feature). Also need a slightly bigger community.

I love the idea to sell advertisements and pro account for points. I'm not sure when it's possible though :(

Be careful Omar! The top place is mine :P

Yeah, I love that idea too, and the one you put last, trading points for resources and such. If I were to vote for something, I'd sure choose these ones.

I have no other ideas for a market now. But if something comes up, I'll let you know!

You are now. The data isn't displaying correctly. Ill fix it when i get a chance. Eg for a month it says i have 1 point and for the year i hsve 38... but its only been running in September. So its not working properly.

lol 20 points, when did I upload all of my scripts. Because in that case I should have a rack of points for this year. Still have to get my game out of Hell Development.

Yeah you may have points for those but not tracked by this system. This is like a monitoring system thats only be running for a week. I could technically run a script to calculate how many points ppl made each day... but bit of a hassle. If you guys really care that much re contributor of the year..

Naw, I don't care that much about the points unless there was a cash prize at the end of the year for top contributor (highly doubt that). But I do need to get back into more programming after being away for so long.