New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Alyon93

Messages not locking Player

Question

Hi guys, I'm new here, I hope to find a vast community with lot of good people. I must advice you that I am Italian, so my English couldn't be so good. I hope not. However let's go straight on to my request. I have this sort of mini-game in my project where you have to do some noise to bring the guards to your place then you have to hide yourself. The point is that while they hear the noise and the actual movement a message appear. Now the point is that, since they are in parallel process they still move while the messagge is on the screen, the player instead stays still waiting for the user to press "Space". Now this make sense since when you actually have a message the game awaits for input to close it, but if the input is actually different from space the game does nothing. Now you might say that if I press space in about a second this won't ruin the game itself, but I would like, if possible, to leave the message for a couple of seconds on the screen while the player keeps moving freely. I know there are some script out there for advanced messages. I actually have one from Slipknot and Dubealex if anyone knows it. Give me some advices and I will follow the better way, since completely change the script might mean to completely rewrite all my dialogues. I hope to have explained myself the best. Thanks in advance for any answer :-)

19 answers to this question

I think you can write a special message window script for that. The one that just showed a window and text, without needing an actual input from the player.

You can look at my Popup Window Script, and begin your work from there. I think it only need some adjustment.

Popup WIndow Script

Edited by black mage

Thanks a lot, I will try it and let you know. 

Edit 1: I'm not pretty sure on how to call this script and on which paremeters can you explain it?

Edited by Alyon93

Try this on script call :

$popup = Window_Popup.new("Test", 400, "001-Weapon01.png")

Test is the text that should appeared. 400 is the window widht. 001-Weapon01.png is the icon that'll showed up at the beginning of the message. You can leave the icon empty.

It almost works. I don't know why but it doesn't show any message yet. Nor test nor anything. It shows the window and I can move and everything but it doesn't show any message inside the window. Could it be something related to AMS?

Edited by Alyon93

The AMS is Dubealex AMS R4 right? It works fine on me with both script used.

Just checking, the window dissapeared after a few seconds right?

There are other message systems that allow the player to move around while messages are displayed...

Do you mean those created with script? The point is that I would like to have the common window and font because I don't want to mark the difference. To the eyes of the user they have to be the same thing, only that you don't stop now.

Hmmm, I'm not quite sure whether the problem is on script call, conflict with other script, or the script itself. Maybe you can send me a demo of yours, so I can check if there's any problem or conflict with other script, and fix it right away.

I think this has nothing to do with version. Because, as far as I know, the version is work like this :

1.01 - The original RMXP, Japan version

1.02 - RMXP translated to English

1.03 - Server update for Japan version, to deal with serial numbers.

1.04 - English version of server update.

Feel free to correct me :p

So, I think it has nothing to do with version. I'm using 1.04 btw.

My suspicion is, like I've stated before, on script call method, conflict with other script, or my script itself.

I think 1.04 also had some other changes as I had some difficulty with fonts and spaces coming up as squares instead of empty.  Not sure what else changed however.

There may be other ways to pull this off.  In my "collection" (sig), and this sounds unrelated, but it is related, there are two scripts for Animated Title Scene (you dont need) and Timed Inputs and Windows (which may be of use).  The Timed Inputs are displayed when you start the Demo for the Collection, and used to get change the name Aluxes to Heretic.  Now that does NOT sound useful, but other parts of that same script ARE useful.  You can display a Timed Message Window ANYWHERE, including inside Menus and other stuff.  It uses the Default Message Window, but can be customized if you wish to alter its appearance.  The purpose of that window is to communicate to a Player while being allowed to move around what they are expected to do.  You can set up those Message Windows to "act like normal Message Windows", or to stick around until a Player accomplishes what is expected.  Like pressing the "Up" key, or ANY other Condition, such as the Player pressing the "Space" key (as mentioned, also checked with Input.press?(INPUT::Space) or related Key Binding) or the Player equips a certain Item on a certain Character.

There is a Message System in my Collection Demo, but you DO NOT NEED my normal Message System.  The Timed Input and Windows (Message) Script acts like an entirely separate Message System that should be perfectly compatible with your current game.  The Timed Input and Windows Script should be 100% compatible with your current Message System.

The only trouble that may occur is the Timed Windows uses the Default Message Window, so it isnt tied to any specific Message System.  This could be good or bad depending on your perspective.  If it is different than your normal Message Window from your Message System, the Player could recognize it as being different, and more like a Tutorial Window so they understand that they are being Trained.  If you want the Timed Windows to look exactly like the Windows in your existing Message System, that could be a bit of trouble for you.

Slightly off topic, but you mentioned having Guards react to Sound.  Another script that is part of that "Collection" is called Super Event Sensor.  That script has some very enhanced abilities that allow Events like NPC's to "see" or "hear" a Player.  The script also allows you to set up Events so they are not Psychic, and only see what is in front of them.  For Sensor Events to hear something, that is based on Move Speed, but can also be affected by certain types of gear with additional scripts that are also included in that Collection.  In the Demo, there is a "Ring of Silence" so a Guard that reacts to Sound (Move Speed) wont hear you if you are moving behind them, but without that Ring equipped, the Guard will "Hear" the Player and react to their presence.  You could easily swap out "Ring of Silence" with "Feather Soled Shoes", or if you've set anything up to alter the Players Move Speed so they "sneak" by moving "more slowly".

Lots of scripts have so much stuff that it is difficult to communicate everything.  This script does this AND that, and often people only see the "this" and miss the "that".  I know it sounds like I am trying to pimp my own scripts over someone elses, but that Collection Im suggesting you take a look at contains scripts from MANY people, not just my own stuff.  I included so much stuff in that Collection that others have written because of how useful it can be to everyone.  There is such a wide degree of features, literally thousands of things, that many specifics of what it contains will most likely be overlooked.  The scripts that are in that Collection are intended for you to be able to use just the scripts you want.  You wont be required to use every script in that Collection, just the ones that you find useful.  Trust me, it IS worth your time to take a look through the entire Collection as there will most likely be something that you find very very useful.  I do understand if you prefer other scripts as there may be times they fill a need better than the scripts that are included in the Collection.  It is your decision.  Black Mage's script might very well suit your needs better, and Im perfectly fine with that.

There are two things I want to give you credit for thinking about.  #1 a Stealth System.  Very few games consider using stealth at all.  #2 Training your Players in your unique type of gameplay.  A lot of ambitions game creators use very complex and confusing systems that require training to use and understand.  They give their players the complex features, but rarely teach the Player how to use those complex features, which leads to player frustration and dissatisfaction.  Crafting Systems for example are complex and neat, but they dont always make sense to Players until they are taught what does what.  So I have to give you a big thumbs up (excellent ideas) for using both of these ideas.

I know english isnt your native language, and the Collection is in english.  If you have any trouble with parts of the Collection, I will do what I can to help you.

Well firstly thanks a lot for the interest. You have been very kind to not only advertise about your script collection but also for being so specific and let me know what kind of scripts may I need. I will for sure take a look at it and let you know what I like of them. Then thanks also for the compliments(i'm becoming shy now XD) I think you actually overrated me. I'm only trying to create my own rpg with all the resources I can get. I'm not a programmer(even if I should become following my course of studies) and I'm not a graphic. I'm actually alone on this, apart from a friend of mine who sometimes helps me realize some characters or arts. I'm just a gamer with a lot of fantasy and will. And so starting from my experience(Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Dark Souls, Dragon Age etc.) I'm trying to realize a game with a decent story and well characterized characters. One for all, the stealth system is related to the thief of the team(I suppose I will create some subquest regarding stealing objects and so on). There will still be the basic RMXP battle system and the EXP system, only that starting from that I want to create a good story. But to create a good story you need good features such as these. So I'm pretty sure a lot of your collection's scripts will come handy. For the rest I don't want it to be perfect, if your timed windows are not completely equal to the basic windows no problem, I don't intend to sell it, I intend to have fun and let the others have fun with it(and I could always improve it later).  Thanks also to Black Mage, with no offense I will try also heretic's script, since I have this possibility and it could come handy anyhow. However IF the game will be ever finished(it's about 5 years i work occasionally on it) I will quote anyone who helped me in this. Anyway. So thanks a lot to both of you who followed me 'till now. Cheers!

P.S. Heretic don't worry, English is not my native language, but I pretty much understand every word and can actually write it easily(I also write some songs in English since I play in a band), only that probably I don't always write in perfect grammar and so on, that's why I usually specify that I'm not native

I think this has nothing to do with version. Because, as far as I know, the version is work like this :

1.01 - The original RMXP, Japan version

1.02 - RMXP translated to English

1.03 - Server update for Japan version, to deal with serial numbers.

1.04 - English version of server update.

Feel free to correct me  :P

So, I think it has nothing to do with version. I'm using 1.04 btw.

My suspicion is, like I've stated before, on script call method, conflict with other script, or my script itself.

UPDATE: The problem still occur. 'till now the nearest solution was the one from Black Mage in which the character could move but the message was blank. If you have any idea on how to solve the problem it might help, Black Mage, otherwise I will try to understand where the problem is and try to solve it. I want to say that I've tried it also on a new project without any script other than yours and the output was the same, i think is not a compatibility issue, maybe it has something to do with another script you've got and me not?

UPDATE 2.0: I solved the problem with the blank message, it was probably related to the SDK as I "installed" it in my script manager it worked. RIght now all we have to achieve is to put the message in the bottom like normal ones and let it interact with the AMS so I could use Faces and Name Box also in a message popup. Hope someone could help me!

Edited by Alyon93

Here I'm surprised that SDK solve the problem, as I never use SDK myself.

If you're using the popup window script, you can easily modify the script to act like a normal ones. I can do that for you easily.

But, when we talk about faces and namebox, I think it's an entirely different matter. The script isn't tied with any windows message script. I might able to try to integrate the script onto AMS, but I can promise you that it'll take some times.

Oh no, Black Mage, I don't want to bother you, thanks anyway but I think I'll take the picture solution, it's not so hard to do and seems pretty efficient, for sure I can't ask you to spend a lot of time on a script that I won't use so many times. Anyway you're Still being useful since I'm using your message pop-up for showing the place the player is in as he enter it.

Picture solution for displaying face pictures, or Picture solution for displaying text with that "Pic to Text" script in my collection?

Note: Pic to Text script usually requires another type of SDK called the MACL, and the MACL causes as many problems as the SDK does. The version of Pic to Text in my collection, as far as I know, is the only version of the script that does not require the MACL Lib to work.