New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Bob423

Change party in battle

Question

This may be difficult to do since I'm using Atoa's ATB with Enu's Tankentai side view battle system, but I want to add an option to the battle menu to switch a party member out without using a turn like in FFX.

I'm already using Blizzard's party switcher, which I've set up to be called from the pause menu, and it would be cruel to prevent the player from switching out a character and using one that's better for fighting an enemy they didn't know would be there, and couldn't have since it was a random encounter.

I also need it to work with Blizzard's party switcher so that characters who are simply disabled for the party temporarily can't be in the party, and characters forced to stay in the party can't be switched out.

Here's the party switcher http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=116.0

and here's the battle system http://www.gdunlimited.net/scripts/rpg-maker-xp/custom-battle-scripts/sideview-battle-system-tankentai-xp

thanks in advance :D

Edited by Bob423

1 answer to this question

Here, I'll reword it...

In Final Fantasy X, you have 7 people in your party by the end of the game, but 3 in battle at once. Every turn you have the choice of replacing the character you're using for one of the reserve characters. The reserve character can then take a turn.

I want the exact same thing. (including 7 total, 3 in battle, which I've already set up)

FFX has enemy types like flan, flying, armored, etc. that are difficult to defeat unless you are either a lot stronger than them or have the right skills or equipment. I want to do the same thing and it would be unfair to throw the player into a random-encounter with an enemy they can't beat because the only character that can easily defeat it is in reserve.

(e.g. flans have very high defense and are immune to all but 1 element, which they're weak against. They absorb their own element)

I'm already using a party-switcher which lets me to set reserved members to either be forced into the party, or forced out of the party while still remaining in the party-switcher menu. If you can set up a way to even just call that party switcher from battle, and maybe pause the battle, possible by pressing a button? escaping is already done by holding X...or was it Z? that would be awesome.

And a pause button for in battle would be great too since it's an ATB, but I guess the party-switcher could be both.

Edited by Bob423