New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
ForeverZer0

Gemini Script Editor

Gemini Script Editor

GeminiCP.png

Authors: ForeverZer0 and Zeus81

Version: 2.0.0

Type: RGSS/RGSS2 Script Editor

Introduction

Gemini, named after the Zodiac Twins (RMXP/RMVX)(and now VX Ace!), is a feature-rich script editor designed purposefully for the RPG Maker community. It can directly read and write archived Scripts.r*data files, which allows you to use the power of an external IDE without the trouble of importing/exporting scripts to and from the built-in editor.

Features

• Uses the popular SciLexer library for syntax highlighting
  • Custom color and font styles for parsing Ruby syntax
  • Auto-Complete function to help improve productivity, letting you choose default words, or create your own list
  • Auto-Indentation which follows standard Ruby conventions
  • "Script-Structuring" to apply proper format to your script with the click of a button
  • Batch comment/uncomment selected lines
  • Line highlighter with custom style as an added visual guide
  • Indentation guides for easily seeing the start/end of blocks
  • Brace-matching for tracking down the elusive missing parenthesis...
  • Powerful Find/Replace function, as well as incremental search
  • Tabbed-style editor for quickly switching between open scripts
  • Automatic updater built-in so you can make sure you have the latest version
  • Debug games directly from the editor, with choice to run normally or in DEBUG/TEST mode
  • Character map for using special Unicode character sets
  • Simple and intuitive interface
  • Portable, no-install application
  • Much more!

Screenshots

Screen1.png

Screen2.png

Screen3.png

Screen4.png

Download

Gemini.zip (12.84)

Direct

Gemini.exe (Self-Extracting archive)(12.54 MB)

Direct

Do to a lack of time to fix bugs, and for the benefit of others, I am open-sourcing Gemini, and I welcome anyone with knowledge of .NET to fix/add anything they wish, under the following conditions, which I respectfully ask be followed:

• Gemini is to remain non-commercial
  • Original credit is to be given, although feel free to add yourself for any changes that are made
  • Please notify me if you decide to host it anywhere other than where I already have

Gemini 1.1.6 - Source (17.8 MB)(Self-Extracting Archive)

Gemini 1.1.6 - Source (19.2 MB)(ZIP)

Gemini 2.0.0 - Source (22.0 MB)(Self-Extracting Archive)

Gemini 2.0.0 - Source (41.2 MB)(ZIP)

Older Versions

Gemini 1.1.6

Gemini 1.1.6 (Source)

Compatibility

Requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (Web Installer).

Credits and Thanks

• ForeverZer0 and Zeus81, for the application
  • Chaos-Project, for support and feedback
  • Javier "TDS" Cabrera, for testing

Author's Notes

As of version 2.0, there are as of yet no known bugs or issues. Please report any that you may find, thanks! wink.png

Edited by ForeverZer0

Okay I love you guys, this will help out when I start scripting soon for my games. :drool:

Glad you all like!

Although I have not tested it, I did take a few precautions to hopefully allow it to run under Mono. If I get time here in the near future, I'll do a little more thorough debugging using the Mono framework.

Awesome Tool! I just wish linux gets .net support soon with Mono :/

Still awesome and I'll use it when I get windows back.

lol I don't even know anyone who even uses that OS. :shok:

Updated to 1.02

• Fixed the bug with the scripts not loading for created RMVX projects. Ending up just being a typo that was made in the created Game.ini
  • Fixed the issue with the "Browse" dialog not appearing when clicked
  • Added Ctrl + Q functionality for inserting comments onto a line

You can simply use the update function from the menu under the "About" tab to apply it.

Updated to 1.02

• Fixed the bug with the scripts not loading for created RMVX projects. Ending up just being a typo that was made in the created Game.ini
  • Fixed the issue with the "Browse" dialog not appearing when clicked
  • Added Ctrl + Q functionality for inserting comments onto a line

You can simply use the update function from the menu under the "About" tab to apply it.

Okay good, I don't like redounloading stuff espically on this computer. :alright:

:drool: NO WAY.

I heart you fzer0. This is exactly, EXACTLY what Rpg Maker needs :dragonwant:

I thank you for this. I was actually contemplating writing an include script so i could just write my game in .rb files (using an IDE), but I'd rather one that works directly with the scripts.rxdata

YOU RULE :alright:

:drool: NO WAY.

I heart you fzer0. This is exactly, EXACTLY what Rpg Maker needs :dragonwant:

I thank you for this. I was actually contemplating writing an include script so i could just write my game in .rb files (using an IDE), but I'd rather one that works directly with the scripts.rxdata

YOU RULE :alright:

That's what I've been doing using Netbean as my a way to write my .rb files, until this came out.

Updated to version 1.0.8

• Fixed Ctrl+Q to allow for multi-line commenting
  • Fixed issue with Converter requiring the RPG Maker XP run-time package to be installed
  • Added an "Add to Auto-Complete" function to context menu
  • Fixed existing batch comment/uncomment function from adding newlines and improved coding by eliminating unnecessary iterations
  • Added "Version History" menu item under the "About" tab for viewing changes between updates
  • Added functionality to have New Project directories sync with the game title unless explicitly changed

This should fix the issue with data not being saved in RMVX. You will have to open the application, choose "Delete Configuration" under the File tab, then restart Gemini for the changes to be applied to the converter.

Working awesome so far! Although, I did notice that the syntax highlighting didn't like to highlight if / unless statements at the end of the line ex:

return if condition 

other "stacked" syntax on the same lines sometimes didn't work :

ex.

def self.update 

the self would not be highlighted.

Not a big deal, but just to let you know.

Working awesome so far! Although, I did notice that the syntax highlighting didn't like to highlight if / unless statements at the end of the line ex:

return if condition 

other "stacked" syntax on the same lines sometimes didn't work :

ex.

def self.update 

the self would not be highlighted.

Not a big deal, but just to let you know.

Yeah, that is one of the bugs I mentioned at the end of the original post. The way the SciLexer library searches for keywords by default will not catch these. I'm going to have to get the source, edit it, and then recompile it to get this fixed. I may be able to find a fix for it on the C# side of the code to override it, so I'll see what I can do. It bugs me, too.

Yeah, that is one of the bugs I mentioned at the end of the original post. The way the SciLexer library searches for keywords by default will not catch these. I'm going to have to get the source, edit it, and then recompile it to get this fixed. I may be able to find a fix for it on the C# side of the code to override it, so I'll see what I can do. It bugs me, too.

Ah, no worries, I'll survive until you get around to it :)

And just cuz I HAVE to reiterate this: YOU ARE A GOD. This IDE is so awesome, I've only been using it for a couple of days now and I'll never go back. I don't even really open RPG Maker anymore, since I usually only opened RMXP to use the script editor anyways.

It's safe to say you have made my RPG Making 1000x more productive, and easier. I greatly appreciate the work you have put into this. :alright:

Updates to v.1.1.5

• Added option to toggle code-folding ON/OFF under Settings menu item
  • Added Empty Line Remove function under Edit menu item
  • Added a "Sort" button in the Auto-Complete configuration for sorting all items alphabetically
  • Added an internal function to automatically remove any duplicate words in the auto-complete list
  • Embedded the RMXP and RMVX libraries into the application, and the option to copy them to the game's directory when creating new projects, which will allow projects to be run without having the RPG Maker installed on the system
  • Added the ability to have newly created projects be automatically loaded into the editor
  • Fixed bug that would prevent projects from being ran if they were opened a certain way

I'm going to have to get the source, edit it, and then recompile it to get this fixed.

Is it licensed under the GNU? If so, would you mind letting me see if I can get the source to compile on my machine? If so, your mono problem would be solved at the least. Though getting the thing to speak with wine would be another story... oh well. I would still love to try wine or no wine xD

I noticed that when I upload a script with odd symbols:

from

# ▼▲▼ XRXS27. Effects SuperEX "Rireizu" ▼ ▲ ▼ 

to

â¼â²â¼ XRXS27. Effects SuperEX "Rireizu" â¼ â² â¼ 

While thats fine for normal wording (even if it looks ugly), it actually can mess up the script as well:

Enemy_Steal[1] = {"Â¥100" => 50, "i1" => 15}

for some reason it adds that  thing in there and through other scripts that have non keyboard symbols?

I noticed that when I upload a script with odd symbols:

from

# ▼▲▼ XRXS27. Effects SuperEX "Rireizu" ▼ ▲ ▼ 

to

▼▲▼ XRXS27. Effects SuperEX "Rireizu" ▼ ▲ ▼ 

While thats fine for normal wording (even if it looks ugly), it actually can mess up the script as well:

Enemy_Steal[1] = {"Â¥100" => 50, "i1" => 15}

for some reason it adds that  thing in there and through other scripts that have non keyboard symbols?

Ah, yes, I forgot, I got this too. Except it was only where I was using a "circle" character for a certain text display. So I forgot cuz it didn't mess with anything. I just figured it had something to do with the encoding on either the scripts.rxdata side or the gemini IDE side...

Are you using special characters in hash keys?

Oh any special characters were automatically there when I uploaded those scripts, my scripts don't use special characters except maybe my menu script but I have to recheck.

Ah true, its just the array/hash combo you posted "Enemy_Steal[1] = {"Â¥100" => 50, "i1" => 15}" had the messed up characters.. It's not like I can do anything about it LOL but I was curious if that was generated from using special characters or if it messed up standard text :/ (So I can know whether I should double check for any mixups) I doubt you would use special characters in your hash declarations, etc (anything other than displayed strings), just wanted to check.

If those weren't special characters, were you getting scripts from microsoft word files? Depending on how word renders/encodes the document, copying and pasting from word files can cause issues.

No, the problem isn't with your scripts it all, its how the strings are encoding and translated by Gemini. It is a problem, which I believe is a side effect of IronRuby's Zlib library. If this is the problem, I do have an idea for a solution that will remove IronRuby altogether. I have been busy the past week, but I am going to take a deeper look into this issue when I get the time. I need to do some research on string encoding, because I honestly can't see the problem that is causing this at a casual glance. It SHOULD be using the same encoding both ways, but apparently somewhere in the deflation and conversion to a System.String from a Ruby string, something is getting muddled up... It possibly could even be the embedded Scintilla library, which will be a slightly easier fix.

Like I said, I need to some poking around.

Edited by ForeverZer0

@kellessdee: Oh ops, I forgot I put the ¥(Yen) symbol in there which added the  character when i uploaded it into the Gemini. :sweatdrop:

@ForeverZer0: Oh okay take your time.

Edited by bigace

No, the problem isn't with your scripts it all, its how the strings are encoding and translated by Gemini.

This is what I had assumed when I first noticed it. In my case, it's really a non-issue; but I guess it's something to look into :)

Hey foreverZer0, I don't know if you were already planning this but I was wondering if you can add this feature to your editor

post-9377-0-05766300-1316926175_thumb.png

This is from NetBean(scripting sytem that I was using before your editor) and was wondering if you can do the spit screen thing where you can pull the tab at the top to the right or bottom side to create a second window. Hopefully that made sense.

That is a pretty good idea, and would be useful. I will add it at some point in the future. I'm a little busy getting work done on the ARC editor right now, but I'll update Gemini with that function when its done, or I may even be able to squeeze it in somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion!

Good thing you had a reason to bump because I never saw this.

You're work is amazing. <3

I decided to open-source Gemini. If you are interested, check out the original post for the links.

I know little to nothing about .Net, so I doubt I can upgrade it to get what I need. However I'm sure that this would be useful to others.

I decided to open-source Gemini. If you are interested, check out the original post for the links.

<3 * Infinity.

All my hearts.

This is great news :)

Good thing you had a reason to bump because I never saw this.

You're work is amazing. <3

Same here.

This will be so useful. Thank you very much. :)