New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
GermanyXItaly1000

Biography Screen Instead of Status (RPG Maker XP)

Question

Hey there! I'm making a fangame and I really want to know how I can create several biographies for different characters that are accessible through the Menu_Status screen.

I'm a bit experienced with RPG Maker XP, and I can mess around with the script a little bit (as in manipulating certain things, adding a bit of text here and there, not too much), but I can't write a whole script myself.

I really want a certain format, one where there's absolutely no HP, no SP, none of those numbers or battle statuses (levels, etc). I want a simple screen where, when you access the character's status screen, you will simply see:

A picture (I can already achieve this, so leave that to me)
The actor name and class (I know how to accomplish this)
and a biography of about five lines of text that stretch across the lower half of the screen, whose text and x/y positions I can manipulate to have it where I want.

I was able to create such a screen through editing the Window_Status script, but was unable to make several for the characters that I wanted. The same text was appearing on the screen each time (except for name and class).

I can attach an image here.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/135/7/9/793cb7d119fc163682c46e0827244941-d65fc0k.png

Could anyone possibly edit the Status script enough for me to be able to manipulate what I can do with this game? I need the information to be able to switch with the different characters... that's all... The names, classes, and photos can already change according to the characters.

I just can't get the rest. I'd be really grateful if you'd help!

6 answers to this question

Alright, i'll give you a little bit of advice.

First I wouldn't bother trying to modifying the stat screen to what you want. It'll take far to long and actually isn't actually necessary.

My suggestion is you download one of the following scripts

Scene: Biography by Big Ace *needs Scene_Base

Animated CMS by Moonpearl *this has a bio scene you can cut out but the whole menu system is fantastic

Now with these you have the option of just getting rid of the status screen, or leaving it as is and having both,

If you use Big Ace's Scene_Biography (with Scene_Base) it adds Biography to the Menu options after Save. If you still don't want the Status Screen you only need to remove the option from the Scene_Menu. 

Remove:

Line 24: s4 = "Status"

Line 144-150:
      when 3  # status
        # Play decision SE
        $game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
        # Make status window active
        @command_window.active = false
        @status_window.active = true
        @status_window.index = 0

Line 205-209:
     when 3  # status
        # Play decision SE
        # Switch to status screen
        $scene = Scene_Status.new(@status_window.index)

Edit:

Line 27:     
@command_window = Window_Command.new(160, [s1, s2, s3, s4, s5, s6])

to
@command_window = Window_Command.new(160, [s1, s2, s3, s5, s6])

Hope this helps.

If you want to edit Scene_Biography to look like your image you need to edit it's parameters a bit. Big Ace would be better to help you do that. Try to mess around with it and try yourself, but if you're stuck with it let me know I'll try to help when you're at that point. 

Thanks! I messaged bigace a while ago, back in May, at the site where he posted the download. He said something about writing up a script for the purpose of the biography screen I'm looking for, and while he hasn't posted it yet, I guess this is solved. Thanks!

Alright, i'll give you a little bit of advice.

First I wouldn't bother trying to modifying the stat screen to what you want. It'll take far to long and actually isn't actually necessary.

My suggestion is you download one of the following scripts

Scene: Biography by Big Ace *needs Scene_Base

Animated CMS by Moonpearl *this has a bio scene you can cut out but the whole menu system is fantastic

Now with these you have the option of just getting rid of the status screen, or leaving it as is and having both,

If you use Big Ace's Scene_Biography (with Scene_Base) it adds Biography to the Menu options after Save. If you still don't want the Status Screen you only need to remove the option from the Scene_Menu. 

Remove:

Line 24: s4 = "Status"

Line 144-150:
      when 3  # status
        # Play decision SE
        # Make status window active
        @command_window.active = false
        @status_window.active = true
        @status_window.index = 0

Line 205-209:
     when 3  # status
        # Play decision SE
        # Switch to status screen
        $scene = Scene_Status.new(@status_window.index)

Edit:

Line 27:     
@command_window = Window_Command.new(160, [s1, s2, s3, s4, s5, s6])

to
@command_window = Window_Command.new(160, [s1, s2, s3, s5, s6])

Hope this helps.

If you want to edit Scene_Biography to look like your image you need to edit it's parameters a bit. Big Ace would be better to help you do that. Try to mess around with it and try yourself, but if you're stuck with it let me know I'll try to help when you're at that point. 

Ace has been away for a few weeks to take intensive classes. He'll be back in a little while, but i can't remember when, probably August or September. In the mean time like i said, fiddle with the parameters in the bio scene and i'm sure you change it looking how you want.

My sincerest apologies sir, like dolarmak said, I had school. So I kind of forgot.

Anyways, I took me an hour but I've completed, hopefully to your likeness.  

http://db.tt/64LaTh5E

My sincerest apologies sir, like dolarmak said, I had school. So I kind of forgot.

Anyways, I took me an hour but I've completed, hopefully to your likeness.  

http://db.tt/64LaTh5E

Thanks! It's been really helpful for my game, and I hope to be able to use it well!

Edited by GermanyXItaly1000

Since the question has answered, the thread is now locked. PM a mod if you wish to re-open it.