New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Daniel Tom

What RPGmaker VX Ace lack?

It still lacks mapping wise, lacks good graphics(feels to chibby), its to simple to use to do anything really advanced with, and the scripting is more confusing and annoying to script for. RGSS1 was way way better IMO.

XP seems like the best still. Mapping is really advanced and makes for way better games.

Mapping is what makes the game good.

I agree with you to a degree Pol but u can still map really well. Also if you take the time you could theoretically parallel map like XP and just import XP graphics over. Even without the XP graphics you can still do some kinda cool things. As far as why I use it it seems to let me move a lot faster and produce better quality game then XP did with the same amount of time in it. As far as what I'm hating at the time is the fewer script selection to choose from. I also feel they could have done a little more matching with the character generator, its hard for someone like me to see if the face (neck portion_ matches the sprite in some of them). Though being an eventer the mistakes that were made in XP are fixed (finally less frustration) like how u couldn't make a Actor Auto fight without a script. But in the end I feel its a combination of things that make a game great and victors battle engine for a SBS is by far more superior than anything else I've seen.

It still lacks mapping wise, lacks good graphics(feels to chibby), its to simple to use to do anything really advanced with, and the scripting is more confusing and annoying to script for. RGSS1 was way way better IMO.

XP seems like the best still. Mapping is really advanced and makes for way better games.

Mapping is what makes the game good.

What Pol said x 1,000.

Well I have to be that guy...

RMVXACE can not be compared to xp because they are simply completely different at pretty much every aspect. Now if you wanted to compare between vx and vxace then the biggest downfalls to me is that the stat system has become excessively complicated and to me(not saying much) the scripting is simpler than rgss2 but too different from rgss to even relate. Also the generator for characters can create some scary and weird faces when using random, so I do not use random. Graphic-wise there is no difference between the two vx's besides minor face styles and battlers. As for mapping, it doesn't have the limit on its tile sets anymore which was the biggest issue and there are still 3 layers. The font and windows are clearly more impressive to xp in my opinion and characters are more interesting designed to me.

Well I have to be that guy...

RMVXACE can not be compared to xp because they are simply completely different at pretty much every aspect. Now if you wanted to compare between vx and vxace then the biggest downfalls to me is that the stat system has become excessively complicated and to me(not saying much) the scripting is simpler than rgss2 but too different from rgss to even relate. Also the generator for characters can create some scary and weird faces when using random, so I do not use random. Graphic-wise there is no difference between the two vx's besides minor face styles and battlers. As for mapping, it doesn't have the limit on its tile sets anymore which was the biggest issue and there are still 3 layers. The font and windows are clearly more impressive to xp in my opinion and characters are more interesting designed to me.

I disagree about not comparing XP to Ace. That would like saying you can't compare Game Maker to the RPG Maker series.

~Keven

well that depends us ACE or VX for final fantasy 1,2...and so on

Use XP For games that are between ps1 and ps2 gen

I posted a similar topic showing the pros and cons of each system.

After playing around with Xas 0.5 for Ace, I did like it more.

However, Mr. Mo's enemy/ally creation system still binds me to XP.

I enjoyed creating a VX Ace game alot more due to it's simplicity. Easy mapping, easy eventing, but in the end, making the kind of game I was requires Allies and Enemies that only Mr. Mo's engine seems to be able to do.

I liked it, but it was better just to loot the resources and use them in XP.

XP

Pros

Lots and lots of custom scripts. Just about every added feature in VX Ace can be done with custom scripts, and more.

More sprite frames.

Can use MIDI audio files.

Cons

Less built-in features.

VX Ace

Pros

Easy character maker

All the VX features: Dungeon generator,Easy map maker, etc.

Can play .OGV movies. (No idea how to even get a .ogv movie file.)

Cons

Very similar to VX to the point it's like...why?

Limited sprite frames.

Can't use MIDI audio files like XP can.

There's little known way to convert .MP4 and .WMV to .OGV movies.

If you have played and got good with RPG Maker 2 for PS2 and then come back to Ace or Xp. I miss a lot of the RPG maker 2 features but it was on PS2. It lacks ANY IMPORT feature or script coding. I would love to see a port on PC!

I love me some RPG MAKER 2~!

I think it lacks a good battle system. Thankfully there are kind people who make scripts and more importantly some are free commerical scripts. Enterbrain really should reconsider going to back to the side battle system.

Things I heard by reading this

• A lot of ppl prefer Xp to Ace because of the layer limitation of mapping.

Well the are numerous ways around this. I know there is one script for ace that allows an unlimited number of parallax layers. So that alone makes Ace kick up to if not past XP.

• Ace is too Chiba

Well then don't use the RTP resources. There are ton of Mack and XP style resources for Ace!

• I agree that the side view battle system needs to return by default EB or Deciga!

Now to support Ace I say!

• XP Does not have a character generator built in
  • Ace Can play videos by default
  • Ace can use all of the VX graphics and music ie means a massive additonal land of resources. XP Can't.
  • Ace has a Shadow Tool and Regions return
  • Scripting is made with a more up to date version of Ruby
  • Ace has a lot more on going support from EB and Deciga than both VX and XP had or will ever have.
  • I own all three!

One Extra thing I am very certain of

• EB and Deciga needs to port over RPG Maker 2 from PS2 to pc and add resource importing and Script Coding to it. Nothing else needs to be added except maybe more resources. I have my money for it right now!! Cash on the table! $$

and that Haterade Looks like it is bitch-a-lot Rag-time Red Flavor!

Additional Help to a question in this topic. @ Jesse66126

To got a ogg movie file just google theora ogg converter and download on and convert ANY video file you have on you pc to us in your game. btw your welcome.

-I went back and read more of your question.

"there is very little know to convert Mp4 to ogg?" What??? I have been using my converter

(stops to go look up the name)---> MiroConverter (I had to go look it up on my forum)

It is free too. There your welcome again!

Edited by ShinGamix