New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Jesse66126

VX Ace needed more features.

I liked it, but it was better just to loot the resources and use them in XP.

XP

Pros

Lots and lots of custom scripts. Just about every added feature in VX Ace can be done with custom scripts, and more.

More sprite frames.

Can use MIDI audio files.

Cons

Less built-in features.

VX Ace

Pros

Easy character maker

All the VX features: Dungeon generator,Easy map maker, etc.

Can play .OGV movies. (No idea how to even get a .ogv movie file.)

Cons

Very similar to VX to the point it's like...why?

Limited sprite frames.

Can't use MIDI audio files like XP can.

There's little known way to convert .MP4 and .WMV to .OGV movies.

The only problems I have with VX ACE is that it's Source Code is way to confusing as shit and the mapping system is still a down grade from XP (when will they learn this.) I mean the only thing that the mapping is good for is creating a World map.

Edited by bigace

The only problems I have with VX ACE is that it's Source Code is way to confusing as shit and the mapping system is still a down grade from XP (when will they learn this.) I mean the only thing that the mapping is good for is creating a World map.

@bigace- Oh? How is the mapping differint? I dont see anything.

Uh have you not used rmxp, because if you've have then u would notice.

XP you get 7 special tile sets that consist of a big picture that expands to show all of its parts as you spread it out on your map. With VX Ace,all the title sets in Side A are like that, then Side B consists of single miscellaneous items.

Plus unlike XP which has a more realistic side to its graphics, VX is all boxy looking.

RPGMaker VX has less flexibility in its mapping. That's what I have heard around the ballpark. Also, I think what bigace might be talking about is how the sprites compare to the enviro? to make the enviro match the sprites they made more boxy?? (I honestly have no clue what I'm spouting. I'll shut up and go away if need be >.<)

...Both...pretty much look "boxy" to me....

Then we're clearly looking at two different systems.

-_- Hmm....perhaps we are. But no matter, i still like VXace and all its boxy-ness, and chibi sprits ^.^ ....

I would have to agree with the graphics part. I cant map worth crap in VXA because of the carppy chibi 32x32 characters and tiles. The lack of actual layers is so annoying. What if i want to put whats on B over C? I cant because they use different tilesets for different layers unlike every other maker in the world lets you do. I cant be creative like i can on XP. The scripting system OMG so annoying having to edit every script in the database to make 1 simple little edit.

RMXP allowed creativity 90-100%

VX allowed creativity 50-60%

VX ACE allowed creativity 65-70%

If someone could bring RGSS1 and the full size RMXP sprites and full mapping system i would use ace hands down. For now till RPG Maker 2020 im sticking with XP.

EDIT: i could take VX/ACE and use everything on XP but cant take XP and use it in VX/ACE.

I cant be creative like i can on XP.

That about sums it all up. VX handcuffs a developer as a trade for 'easy' use. I'll gladly make every door by scratch just to use the sprites and maps from XP.

@forcebreaker

Type in rmxp screenshot into google, open a picture into a new tab. then type rpg maker vx screen shot, put that picture into a new tab. Now look at both pictures and tell me that they are both equally boxy. There is no way, VX is WAY more boxy, to the extent that everything is actually drawn on a 32x32 pixel box. Where as rmxp uses, 32x32 for small, 32x64 for tall and 64x64 for large, and really any other size for sprites/objects for that matter. Chibi is fine, but 32x32 is WAY to limiting.

I like to think of it like this VX= NES style game, XP=SNES+ style game.

Well....im pretty sure you could use the XP sprites in VXA....i dont see any reason why you cant, it can suport an image of that size.

Also, i agree....it is really annoying how you cant put Whats on "b" on "C".....but i think ive fixed that by useing an event. Like if i want to put a cup on a table, and the way the tiles sets are set up wont let me, what i do is just use an event. :) .....

That about sums it all up. VX handcuffs a developer as a trade for 'easy' use. I'll gladly make every door by scratch just to use the sprites and maps from XP.

@forcebreaker

Type in rmxp screenshot into google, open a picture into a new tab. then type rpg maker vx screen shot, put that picture into a new tab. Now look at both pictures and tell me that they are both equally boxy. There is no way, VX is WAY more boxy, to the extent that everything is actually drawn on a 32x32 pixel box. Where as rmxp uses, 32x32 for small, 32x64 for tall and 64x64 for large, and really any other size for sprites/objects for that matter. Chibi is fine, but 32x32 is WAY to limiting.

I like to think of it like this VX= NES style game, XP=SNES+ style game.

Yeah, i think i see what you mean now about the "boxyness".

But i still like VXA, its been pretty easy to use, im a novice anyway, and VXA offers the ability to make (or edit) your own resources, which is all really wanted anyway. I dont know....i just had a hard time with XP.

Yeah, I started playing with VX Ace and found it can support any size sprite with (What seems to be) an unlimited amount of animation frames. I used 640X480 sized sprites with 8 frame animation and made it work just like XP. If anybody needs large sprites with the scripts to increase their animation frames you can find them here:

http://victorscripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-vx-ace/

Ok, so you got bigger sprites to work in VX. Now how do yo make them look proper on the crazy tiny maps? Is there a way to put in your own tile sets that don't work only based on 32x32, because if not than bigger sprites is moot. Because xp has scripts to use sprites of any size and any frames.

yeah, i dont know if VXA tiles can get any bigger than 32x32......it would take some really creative thinking to make a sprite twice as big work with 32x32 tiles.

Oh I have no idea, I didn't even get that far. I'm sure there is a way though. I'll look into it tonight when I get off work and come back with what I got.

There is ways to import XP style maps into VXAce through scripting and re positioning the graphics in the mapping.

If VX/Ace could use xp sprites and tilesets the exact same way xp does, it would already be so.

EDIT: @bigace does that mean in theory, you could have a map that looks exactly the same, like an xp forest, in vx?

If VX/Ace could use xp sprites and tilesets the exact same way xp does, it would already be so.

EDIT: @bigace does that mean in theory, you could have a map that looks exactly the same, like an xp forest, in vx?

Yes, I was trying to find where I saw all of it at but the site is either down or my computer is being retarded again.

I 'believe' you, but at the same time, I have to think it was either buggy, or not good or something. Otherwise it would be so common everyone would use it. Because what you are explaining essentially gets rid of all the problems VX has, and since lots of people prefer XP over it, I would have to assume if it was awesome and turned vx in xp then why would anyone even use xp, other then for the resource base, which would be irrelevant because of what your telling me.

If it still limited to you layers A B C etc, then its not a fix, it's a work around.

I think the script is more of a work around, you also can just put the XP maps in there you have to move stuff around so it works with the A B C D E crap. So while it looks like XP, It seems like a lot of work to put the map into the system. If only I remembered the name?

Well the method is parallax mapping, here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.amaranthi...=17713&forum=28

and here's a script by modern algbra: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,44635.0.html

Edited by bigace

I looked up using the bigger tileset graphics for vx ace and it's like bigace said above about using the ABCD tiles. I had to split my XP tileset into 3 different files measuring 256X480 and then import them into Ace using them as the ABCD tiles. The results came out to look just like XP, but it does seem like alot of extra work just for bigger graphics... But hey, if you want it bad enough nothing will be "too much work."

So as far as flags and such, would all the trees, buildings etc, have fake 3D still, would you still be able to walk behind everything like normal?

How does that work exactly with the different layers? Still seems limiting. The whole forced separate layers thing is a broken method.

Yes, you can still walk behind specified graphics. There is a star icon in the tileset area of the database you can place over those kinds of graphics that you want to be able to pass behind. Nothing on layer A can be passed behind, but anything on the other layers can be. People are going to have to start customizing their own tilesets for this engine if they're going to get the desired tiles to work the way they want them to. If you ask me, this version isn't complicated but it isn't quite as fun as XP either. There's just too much crap to have to work around if you're trying to make something better than a gameboy game.