New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Polraudio

Very Very Simple Flashlight Tutorial

Take this image.

rPHnE.png

http://i.imgur.com/rPHnE.png

and name it whatever you want.

EDIT: The reason the picture is double the size of 640x480 is so that when you are on the edge of a map the full image is still shown and it keeps the rest of the screen black.

Do this for the event on the map you want to have a flashlight.

qkc7f.png

http://i.imgur.com/qkc7f.png

Simple huh?

And there no worries about going to the edge of the map.

EDIT: Please do not give credit. This was way to simple to do.

If you need more info on how to do it just ask biggrin.png

HERE IS THE DEMO (Credit: QuesTMajoR) : http://www.mediafire...kr7higg79evh18y

Hahaha! Looks Like You've Got The Technique that I Am Using Before... biggrin.png GOOD JOB!

BTW: I think It wont follow the Player on the Edges of the map Coz youve only Set it to Show Picture in the Player's Position in the Screen. THAT'S LIKE THIS: The Player is in the X of: 15 and the Y of: 13... THEN it triggers the Show Picture Command. The Picture is set to the Variable of the Player's Position in Screen, SO IF the Player is at the X: 15 and Y:13, The Picture will Stay at X: 15 and Y:13 --- Do you get what I mean?

THEREFORE:

You must make another Command: When the Player moves LEFT, RIGHT, UP, AND DOWN "Move Picture to the Variable of the Player's X and Y then Set it to Parallel Process " Then That's it! The Picture will always at him as long that command is active, no matter what happens.

biggrin.png Hope It Helped!

Edited by QuesTMajoR

Actually mine worked perfect. Without making commands when the player moves. It tracks and stays exactly centered no matter where the player is. You dont need all that extra stuff you put in there. Its a nice way but the way i did gets the same exact results with 100% less work.

Mine dont need to detect if you hit Left, Up, etc.. It auto follows the player.

With Parallel Process on this event.

http://i.imgur.com/qkc7f.png

Its tracking the player all the time and showing the picture directly center on the player.

It tracks the player instead of button presses.

Try my way and you will see how much less work and effort it takes to get the same effect.

EDIT: I used this same exact method for my Airship Event.

Yeah! It Really Follows the Player! +Less Work! :D --> D***! I should never Made that Tutorial!

:D :D :D

I'm having some trouble with this. The spotlight is not centered on my character, instead it is to the bottom left and there appears to be a text box inside of it.

I do use Moonpearl's balloon message system. Could that be interfering?

Event1_zps79b0bc22.png

Spotlight_zpsaf306565.png

Edited by Rajaat99

Thats odd. It should be following the player. Try a different picture ID like 50 or something. And try different variables. there's a chance those variables are used by a script or something. Try variable 50 and 51 to be safe.

EDIT: Also try a new project to make sure it works out of your project.

No luck with changing the variables, but it works on a new project, so it has to be a conflict with a script I'm using. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it, as I stink at finding problems with scripts.

The scripts I'm using are: Personal Save Files by Polraudio, Eladia's Battle Equipment Menu by DerVVulfman, Sideview Battle System Version 2.1xp by Enu and Atoa, Continuous Maps by Blizzard, Stat Distribution System by Blizzard, Dynamic Lights by kellessdee, Item Crafting Script by kellessdee, Element Attack Armors by game_guy, HoT DoT(Poison Control) by Shdwlink1993, Moonpearl's Balloon Message System.

As far as I know, only Dynamic Lights and the Balloon Message System deal with pictures. Could one of these be the culprit?

Dynamic Lights and the Balloon Message System seem like it would be the ones. Try removing one of them then the other then both to see what one is exactly causing the problem.

I will look more into it later today when i get more free time. Let me know what one is clashing if you figure it out.

i think i just might use this for my sequel. a cave where you can't see anything unless you get a flashlight type item or skill. like in pokemon :D (just realized that i was typing it lol)

can't do it in my current game, because blizz abs is too delicate, so i'm afraid it won't work the way i want it to. plus having enemies you can't see would be a pain.

It was the balloon message system. All I had to do to fix it was change the id of the picture. Instead of picture 1, I used picture 20 and it works fine. Thanks for your help Polraudio.

Glad you figured it out :D. Bob also gave me a good idea by saying flashlight. I might try to make it look like a real light source with directional lights depending what way your facing.

Glad you figured it out :D. Bob also gave me a good idea by saying flashlight. I might try to make it look like a real light source with directional lights depending what way your facing.

That would be awesome.