New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
kellessdee

RPG Maker VX Ace Discussion

I am creating this topic in an attempt to keep general discussion separate from the RPG Maker VX Ace master info topic. I will be using that topic to add more info about RPG Maker VX Ace as time goes.

Currently working on:

- Full Database overview (with pictures)

- Full event command change log (with pictures)

- Full RGSS 3 change log

You can find a link to the info topic here:

http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/topic/8102-rpg-maker-vx-ace/

Use this topic for any general RPG Maker VX Ace discussion/comments.

@zeriab: yea, it's bloody well about time they upgraded their ruby interpreter! I'm assuming you know that Ruby 1.9.x offers the new Fiber class (or maybe that's what you are talking about)? Green threading ftw!

I wish Enterbrain would maintain updates for their system, to keep up with Ruby...but considering ruby's free + opensource vs. RPG Maker being not-free and closed source, I can see why this won't happen and just be a wild dream of mine........drifts away.......

Since I messed with RMVXAce trial for the past week I will probably get it once I get a better understanding and can actually work with Ruby and RGSS.

There are a few things that irked me about Ace but they aren't really big issues. Just how some of the "new features" have made appearances in previous RM's at some point in time.

@ragemage: Yea, it's kinda disappointing...although, in the same breath; it's kinda nice to see that enterbrain noticed that they messed up when they took those features out.

@noobsaibot: I guess you could say that...but I wouldn't. I would say more, it's VX done right. Sure, enterbrain should have done it this way the first time around - but they thought simplifying the maker was good..then realized it wasn't. You gotta give 'em credit for actually refining the system and solving a lot of things that were bad about VX. To me, VXAce to VX is what Windows 7 was to Vista. It's essentially the same thing, but it works...rather than being broken.

@arkbennet: I think you should at least give it a whirl (especially if you like the RPG Maker series at all). It's actually A LOT different than VX, than people give it credit for. Sure, it's mostly the same RTP and same interface...but it's VERY different. The database is streamlined (and MUCH more flexible/powerful), the default scripts are better organized (and more well written), and, and, and, and Ruby 1.9.2!!!!

[rant]

I think people fail to see HOW Ruby 1.9.2 makes this engine much better, but should really pay attention to this:

rir_total_runtime.png

What I am mainly trying to convey, is the comparison between 1.8 and 1.9 (IronRuby is simply a 3rd party ruby interpreter, that works with the .NET framework)

The "total times" are based on a series of benchmarks run through each interpreter (more details here: http://programmingzen.com/2009/08/03/performance-of-ironruby-ruby-on-windows/)

2933 vs. 664? That's nearly 5 times faster...

Ruby 1.9 actually even holds its own against python (which is generally known for being a high performance scripting language).

So what does that mean? Faster code, means RPG Maker VXAce can handle much more complex scripts...this is HUGE potential for a simplified game making program (considering some of the things I have seen done with just XP).

[/rant]

Sorry guys, I had to. I won't stop until everyone is excited about this fact.

Lol. Maybe if I knew how to use Ruby I'd be more impressed.

You don't need to know ruby to realize that your game is moving faster and better, due to a upgrade and better coding. dry.png That should impress most people due to the previous makers having a slower Ruby engine.

Edited by bigace

@noobsaibot: I guess you could say that...but I wouldn't. I would say more, it's VX done right. Sure, enterbrain should have done it this way the first time around - but they thought simplifying the maker was good..then realized it wasn't. You gotta give 'em credit for actually refining the system and solving a lot of things that were bad about VX. To me, VXAce to VX is what Windows 7 was to Vista. It's essentially the same thing, but it works...rather than being broken.

Actually it is a gloated version. I wont even wast my money on it until Eb actually makes something worth buying that combines the best of both XP and VX. Until then this Ace is just a money sucking scam they are pulling and people are falling head first into it. Better improvements or not.

From what i tested Karina the answer is yes.

Thanks for the reply, Lucas!

That is pretty awesome for an update! No, very awesome! I wish I waited to buy VX a little longer, would have been more worth it. Well, its either my Intuous4 tablet or this...hmmm.

Actually it is a gloated version. I wont even wast my money on it until Eb actually makes something worth buying that combines the best of both XP and VX. Until then this Ace is just a money sucking scam they are pulling and people are falling head first into it. Better improvements or not.

I respect your opinion, but out of curiosity, I am quite intrigued as to WHY you believe it's a "gloated" version. I'm not trying to convince you to buy it; but in my eyes it DOES combine the best of both xp and vx. I'm curious to know what you think they are leaving out, that was better in either of the versions.

I respect your opinion, but out of curiosity, I am quite intrigued as to WHY you believe it's a "gloated" version. I'm not trying to convince you to buy it; but in my eyes it DOES combine the best of both xp and vx. I'm curious to know what you think they are leaving out, that was better in either of the versions.

Well I liked the graphic style of XP plus I think a default battle system like they had in RPG Maker 2003 would be better.

I say I wont get it, but when they release it I will try the free trial and who knows I may end up liking it or not.

According to rpgmakerweb Blog it will be a price tag of $90. You all know my opinion on this piece of dodo and like I said on their blog:

RPG Maker VX Ace is a bunch of BS. Why don’t you create a new original maker instead of FORCING people to pay for basically an updated version of RPG Maker VX!

I actually like Rpg Maker Vx Ace, I've been messing around with it for a little while now, as I have the full version.

It's not neccesarily because I think the system is amazing. It's just that pretty soon everyone is going to start working

on scripts and data base work for it. I like to stay on the meta, personally. If you are complaining about the price, go here {removed link acute.gif}

I heard about this through youtube.

Oh I almost forgot. You'll need this to {removed link acute.gif} It translates the database. Put it in place of the

data of any game you want to be in english. DELETE THEN REPLACE. yourwelcome ; )

ACE comes out in 3 days for me! I pre-ordered it.

Is anyone restarting their VX projects with ACE?

i got an email from enterbrain one day asking me to try vx ace, and in the email it mentioned unlimited tilesets. so far i like it, attempting to create a short game in it. tongue.png

Got another email today talking about a sample game using ace. trying it now.

Edited by wii1990