New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Jaden

[ACE][DEMO]The Secrets Of Kankara[UPDATED]

qnk3yd.png
The Secrets of Kankara is a project that has been in development for 3 years. It started out on RMXP, but is now on RMVX Ace. It uses a number of scripts, but the primary one is XAS Ace Edition.

mid-storyline-16270.gif
An evil court mage is attempting to release an evil into the world from Tenebris (the dimension of shadow and corruption). The main character is the grandson of a former court mage who is trying to stop it from happening. The main character sets off on his adventure after he hears a plea for help echo in his mind.

Screenshots:
akxu1k.jpg
ftenm8.jpg

Music of Kankara:

IMPORTANT NOTE
I realize that some are downloading the project strictly for the audio, you have to check the ending credits in the game to see their usage stipulations, as most of them are in the creative commons under a CC-BY or CC-BY-SA License, both of which require a link to the artist's page.
Also, some of the music that is/will be used in the game was obtained through license purchasing, so not all of what's in their can be used legally unless you pay for it like I did. If it's not creative commons, it probably isn't safe to use without the license. Just a friendly warning, take heed or not.

demo-16270.gif

I've updated the demo to v1.1, the change list is as follows:

-Full time and weather system (time moves at a pace and effects things like shop openings, events that occur only at night, etc., weather will change on it's own depending on where the player is)

-Item creation (the player will have to craft some of the items used in game, using materials that are often dropped by enemies, bushes, etc.)

-Minor bug fixes as well as one game freezing one. Minor graphical update as well; sword swing graphic for hero (not finished).

-As well as most previously mentioned features such as Item drop, etc.

We now have a game page for this! Check it out!

Mediafire Download (RTP Included)

Mediafire Download (RTP not included, for those who already have it.

This game tends to be process heavy because of some screen effects, it is highly recommended that you play it with nothing else open for the best result.

Thank you for your interest and stay tuned for updates!

Edited by Jaden

I wish you the best of luck, good sir! C:

I'm going to save my criticism for when I see some more progress updates/demo/release, but I like your enthusiasm. xD

I wish you the best of luck, good sir! C:

I'm going to save my criticism for when I see some more progress updates/demo/release, but I like your enthusiasm. xD

Thank you, a demo will likely be released after the first dungeon is completed (I'm just starting to put that together now).

It does have an ABS style battle system...

I'm interested already. I love ABS. Turn-based battles can get annoying sometimes.

Anyway, I wish you good luck also and remember to detail the maps and take your time. :alright:

I'm interested already. I love ABS. Turn-based battles can get annoying sometimes.

Anyway, I wish you good luck also and remember to detail the maps and take your time. :alright:

Thank you. I don't like turn based battles either, they seem to un-involved for me (one of the reasons I started using ABS style).

UPDATE: The project is still on, I haven't stopped working on it, I've mainly just been testing, finding music, etc. so it's taking longer than expected but I'm still here lol.

The whole project has been moved to include the XAS Hero Edition 3.91 and I'm redoing the maps so that they'll look better in the game. Some of the music and atmostphere has also changed but since no-one has seen or heard it, you'll have to take my word on that lol. A demo will be released once the first dungeon is completed as stated originally (had to start over when I switched to XAS and have been reconfiguring alot of enemies, etc.)

I'm working on this fairly diligantly to prepare for the demo release, but please also keep in mind that it may take at least another month or two depending on events that may unfold here.

As always, thank you for your interest and stay tuned for updates.

GAMEPLAY TRAILER UPDATE!! Check the first post to see some gameplay of The Secrets Of Kankara.

That actually looks really fun. Total Link To The Past intro too, love it. I don't know if you plan to, but your maps need to be gone over one more time and have a bit of detail added to them, their design is excellent, but they just seem a bit bare and empty. Big is good empty is not. I remember seeing this a long time ago, seems like you have made excellent progress. Keep it up.

-Cheers!

That actually looks really fun. Total Link To The Past intro too, love it. I don't know if you plan to, but your maps need to be gone over one more time and have a bit of detail added to them, their design is excellent, but they just seem a bit bare and empty. Big is good empty is not. I remember seeing this a long time ago, seems like you have made excellent progress. Keep it up.

-Cheers!

Thank you, I also think the maps still are a little lacking lol, I will likely go over them again a few more times before the demo is finally released, adding more ground tiles and generally making it less uniform and more natural.

UPDATE!!!

Good news everyone: I have completed the demo after much time debating the storyline, as well as what all should go in the maps.

The first dungeon (which is only one of three semi-dungeons designed to start off the main quest) is fairly short, however it does

feature a mini-boss and a normal boss, plenty of enemies, plenty of weapons, a few puzzles, and the overworld even has a secret

already (sorry no hints to what this secret is, or how to find it, that's part of the challenge).

We're still working out a few bugs and testing the demo, which should only take about a week tops. The whole demo has about 45 minutes of gameplay in it. Also, we're working on the instruction booklet as well, which will likely be in rtf format, so even if you only have wordpad you'll be able to read it properly. It will contain the back story, controls, characters, enemies, etc.

The download will be up in about a week, so hang with me for just a little longer.

I appreciate the patience everyone has had regarding this demo and it's very long development, and I hope you have had continued interest in this game throughout this long wait.

Good news everyone! The Demo is finally finished and the download links are in the original post, under the trailer.

This has actually been done for quite a while (since the 7th or 8th) but since the site's been down, this is the first chance I've had to update everyone lol.

The demo has a secret cave in the overworld that can only be accessed by following a certain path with the storyline, it contains the strongest sword in the game as well as two pillars with messages from myself and the tester. However I'll not give hints (that's part of the fun).

Have fun!

Well if you want more downloads, maybe try and work on presentation a bit more. I know this is in the early development forum, but you could read this topic for some pointers: http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/9422-guidelines-for-established-games-topics/

And when you think your game is ready, contact a mod to be moved to established games.

Well if you want more downloads, maybe try and work on presentation a bit more. I know this is in the early development forum, but you could read this topic for some pointers: http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/9422-guidelines-for-established-games-topics/

And when you think your game is ready, contact a mod to be moved to established games.

Yeah, you're right, I need to work on showmanship a bit more lol. I appreciate the feedback and thank you for the link, it has helped me spring a few ideas on how to present it. Once I complete the presentation outline I'll contact one of the mods for this to be moved.

UPDATE

I wanted to update on what's been going on with this project in the past few months. First I want to reassure some of you that this project is not dead, it is ongoing and continues to change for the better with every day that passes.

Some changes that have been made so far include but is not limited to:

• Bushes now produce items, such as health, gold, arrows, and bombs
  • The spell "Ice Blast" will now be featured in a later dungeon, instead of Nemus Well
  • Minor storyline changes to effect the timetable of the events in the game

Once again, this project is ongoing and we're working diligently to produce the best quality game that we can within a timetable that is reasonable. I don't want to give a date because we believe it may be too early for that, but rest assured we will update with a release date the moment we feel confident in it's completion time.

In the meantime, feel free to download and try the demo, and even to give it a review. Reviews have helped me iron out some of the not so great stuff in the past and I welcome all constructive criticism.

Thank you for your interest, stay tuned for updates.

Edited by Jaden

For a second I thought this was a necropost, but it's good to see you are still working on your project! I'll download the demo and review it, after I take care of some things for this contest I'm in...

For a second I thought this was a necropost, but it's good to see you are still working on your project! I'll download the demo and review it, after I take care of some things for this contest I'm in...

Thank you, this project has been long in the making without a doubt lol, just popped back on to update the demo as well, with some improvements, you should check it out (editing first post after I get done replying lol).

I wanted to update on the status of this project's timetable. I no longer have a secondary tester (I've been primary for the whole project because I generally have to test things when I add them anyway), due to a number of reasons, though primarily it's because I had to fight with him everytime his part came up short (which was 90% of the time) and I got tired of having valuable time wasted by him that could've been used to work on this project more effectively. So, he is no longer on the team.

(How does this effect timetable?)

It effects the timetable because I have to do both testing sequences in addition to the rest of it. Currently, I'm the only one working on this project and that will likely be the case for the remainder of it's lifespan. I was originally planning to finish it and be able to release it this year, however with the new reality of things, it's looking more like it could go all the way into the middle of next year. Either way, I will keep everyone up to date on the latest by posting from time to time. If you want weekly updates on the project, you can go to My Forum and register (free), there's honestly not many users but I update the topics there more than anywhere else. I guess you could call it Kankara's "home base" at this point.

In any case, thank you for your interest, stay tuned for updates.

UPDATE

Ok, so I know it's been a while since I updated, so bear with me. This project is still going on and I have been working on a number of issues related to the project over the past months. I'm sorry that I haven't had time to post but time has been working against me this year (had to move, had to take care of home business, etc.).

Last month (november), I had come across a problem with the demo's playability with newer versions of RMXP. Worry not, I've included my version of RMXP (demo of course, no freebies) so you can still play the game/demo. I know this project is taking a very long time, but my current timetable (as noted in previous post) is still in effect, and I will try very hard to keep it on schedule so I can finally release this game for you all to enjoy. I apologize for any delays that have occurred and/or will occur during this project's development.

Thank you and stay tuned for updates!

UPDATE:

The project has been updated in it's totality. It has been moved to VX Ace and the XP version will be abandoned. A new demo has been included with the first 3 dungeons.

Check the original post for details.

Edited by Jaden

cool that you're updating everything, have you though about making a game page?

I have a bit, though I haven't been too focused on it. I'm somewhat thinking about waiting until the game is fully done, but at the same time I don't want to wait too long. Any tips/advice would be appreciated in that regard :)

I'm also thinking about finding some demo reviewers, who'd be willing to give their opinion on the demo, that way I can find common issues with it and hopefully fix them to better the project as a whole.

I've updated the topic with a gameplay video everyone. That shows you how the game is played (for those who hadn't previously seen).

UPDATE

We now have a game page for this project!
Check the original post for the link.

UPDATE

We now have a game page for this project! You can check it for a progress bar update each time I finish a new section.
Check the original post for the link.

Edit: I apologize for the double post, the first one was supposed to be simply edited, not duplicated and reposted. I'm obviously encountering some serious technical issues today, it's honestly on my last nerve.

Edited by Jaden

Just wanted to update everyone on a new feature I just coded in (and one that surprisingly is simple), it's 'Regional Windowskins'.
Basically, the appearance of the menu will change, depending one what place you're in. For example: If you're in a forested area, it may look like leaves and green, if you're under water, it may look blue and with water-like designs.
I'm still in the process of implementation, but so far it looks very promising.

Also, you can follow my game page (detailed in the original post) for further minor updates.

Hey everyone! Jaden here. Just wanted to update you guys on what I've been doing as of late in terms of the project. As you all know I've been working on this project for a long while (maybe you didn't know that lol), and it's an ongoing process. I recently finished concepts for bosses and boss-pairs, though haven't added them yet. I also have been adding side quests and mini-games, as well as a mining system (to get materials for the smith's workbenches). While these new features won't be in the demo version, I thought everyone would like to know what will be in the final game when it's finished.
I've also been working hard on areas and map finalizing, since some of the maps in the demo are rather plain and bare (like Nemus), adding trees and flowers to make it a more full forest as it should've been from the beginning.

Two things for everyone as well, I have a bit of an announcement regarding the demo itself:
There are three secret items in the demo:
The Harp, which allows you to play songs for effects (though the version in the demo will change probably, and uses a script that someone wrote in inspiration to zelda).
Band of The Warrior, Which increases your damage output.
& Gauntlets of Defense, Which increases your defense.

Enchanted armors like the Band of The Warrior, and the Gauntlets of Defense can only be equipped one at a time, so you can't have both at the same time.

How to get these items? All I will say is it requires some bombs and waiting through the credits (after it takes you back to the game), the where is for you to find ;)

I also added a short video showing some of the music in the game, not all of it is in the demo, though.
Also, on that note, I realize that some are downloading the project strictly for the audio, you have to check the ending credits in the game to see their usage stipulations, as most of them are in the creative commons under a CC-BY or CC-BY-SA License, both of which require a link to the artist's page.
Also, some of the music that is/will be used in the game was obtained through license purchasing, so not all of what's in their can be used legally unless you pay for it like I did. If it's not creative commons, it probably isn't safe to use without the license. Just a friendly warning, take heed or not.

Well, I think that's about all I will post for now, happy hunting/playing, and I will try to keep everyone up to speed on the development of the game as I work on it.

Thanks for your interest, and thanks for playing!

-Jaden

UPDATE: This project has taken quite a while to actually work on, and during the time I have been working on it, I've also been dealing with some stuff at home that has hindered my progress. While I do not intend on giving up on this project, I do, however, have to put it on hold until I can put the time I need to, into it. The demo will remain up (unless the link goes dead, but if that happens, please do PM me here), so you all can enjoy what's been finished so far. I will return to the project ASAP. I apologize to those who have waited so long for this game to be finished, but with my current schedule, it could take the rest of this year before it's even close. Thank you for your support so far, and please do stay tuned for my return, I will do my best to come back to it quickly.

UPDATE: Well, after many months of inactivity on this project, I'm finally back, and will continue work on SoK.