New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.

Zer0 Advanced Weather

Authors: ForeverZer0, Ccoa

Version: 1.1

Type: Complete Weather System

Introduction

First off, let me state that this is a modification, albeit a heavy one, of Ccoa's Advanced Weather System. If you use Ccoa's script, and have other scripts that are dependent on it, this script can still replace it with only some very minor edits.

Although I love the original script (a great staple for any game), I found that there was room for many improvements in basic data handling, configurability, and the simple overview of it. Then came the MAWS script by Agckuu Coceg. I loved the idea (it's what inspired this script), but it only further added to the number of redundancies that bugged me.I didn't see the point in caching 50+ different bitmaps, when there are essentially less than 30 types of weather, and the rest are just color variations. For example, Rain, Blood Rain, Acid Rain, Sepia Rain, Golden Rain, and Oil Rain all use the exact same image, just with different color, so why cache all of them separately?

So, here it is, with totally over-hauled coding. You no longer have to remember 60+ different numbers for weather types. If it is rain, the type will always be 1, but with an added number at the end of the script call, it can quickly become any color variation of rain (see instructions). It's easier than ever to add your own custom color schemes to the weather, I added some extra configurable values, and the coding has been improved immensely. To give you an idea of how many redundant lines of code there were, before I added some of my new custom weather effects, the code was over 1000 lines shorter than the MAWS script. Even now, if you include all the various color schemes, this script offers 95 different weather patterns, compared to the 54 offered by MAWS, and it is still shorter!

Features

• New weather effects include, butterflies, birds, falling rocks, and arrows.
  • Including color variations, offers 95 different weather patterns.
  • Easy to quickly add more or alter existing weather patterns.
  • Configurable switch that will be ON during bad weather (Good for event conditions)
  • Configurable in-game variable that will be equal to the weather type.
  • Realistic thunder with random volume and pitch.
  • Easily configure how constant the over-all thunder/lightning is.
  • Fixed an error from the original script with the snow bitmap. It looks better now.
  • More RAM friendly and over-all much cleaner code

Screenshots

Birds

AdvWeather1.png

Snow

AdvWeather2.png

Autumn Leaves

AdvWeather3.png

Demo

Demo Link

If you would like to create custom weather patterns, check out the , it will help you create your own, and generate Advanced Weather 2.0 to use them with.

Script

Script is too large for code box. View by following link.

Script Link

Instructions

Place script anywhere below Spriteset_Map.

Click here for some quick instructions.

Compatibility

Should be compatible with everything.

I tried to keep most of the weather types set to the same value as they were in Ccoa's original script, but a few

of them have been combined with other ones under the new system (i.e. different leave colors, Blood Rain, etc.)

Credits and Thanks

Author's Notes

Hope you enjoy. Be sure to give some feedback and let me know how you like it.

I'm running out of ideas for weather effects, so if you have an idea for any weather effects you would like, let me know and I'll include them in future updates.

If any bugs are found, let me know and I'll be happy to try and fix them.

Edited by ForeverZer0

Compatibility check with Mode 7 please! (=

Feel free to test.

I don't script anymore, nor do I know what Mode 7 script you are using.

Pretty much if it works with the default system, I see no reason this would not work, its just an expansion of the same system.

Ahh I see. It's a shame, you're scripts are very handy! xD

Only reason I ask is because Mode 7 (Back then) was pretty unstable and usually buggy.

It's not good that this Mode 7 don't even come with a version history but it's been really stable with some things I've already put in, but you can never be too careful c: