New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
CrimsonInferno

Mystic Studio!

NEW IMAGE SOON!

Welcome to Mystic Creations' WIP/Art thread! A thread dedicated to all the artwork used or made for Mystic Creations games, like Black Moon (Prophecy), and other artistic creations I have made!

Ranges from hand work, digital work, sprites, colorings, fonts, logos, titles/screens, music (a new practice for me!) and more! ;)

As one of the main characters in my game:

2j12xk4.jpg

Older Work

1pzc7o.jpg

{ She needs shoes, an edit of her pants and around her waist, which I'm doing right now ;) }

What do you guys think? Anything wrong with her? Shading bad? What? Anything will do. I only ask one thing...I'm weak at heart, nice feedback? I'll huggles you, promise!

People I've made things for:

A HUD graphic for jporter917

Some edits and rips for some members on rpgvx.net

Thanks for reading~

Edited by CrimsonInferno

Practice is the key! The best spriters did not become great over night. The hair looks good for a beginner. Keep it up!

Thanks Rated :P

I will practice some more tomorrow night. The sides of his hair is the worst, or so to me it is. And then I need to work on shading and lighting lol

Nope....well, actually, I think it can be for both :) but the template came from Musical :)

honestly, and you will all find this funny, but that hair is better than i could do. I suck at hair, and I dunno why. its the only thing I simply cannot do.

It took me four hours to draw out. One hour to think of the design and then another hour to actually shade it, which I think turned out horribly lol

I think if maybe I add another spike of his hair to the right side of his head above his ear, it'll look better...I think. But maybe not. *sigh* spriting is so hard! I wish I had more time in the day to practice. I will edit the hair next session and when I feel like I've gotten better at hair, I will work on shading and then body work, armor, cloaks, capes, hats, shoes, spears and so forth. I really want to recreate a Chocobo and a Magitek Armor in this tempalte and graphics, its so cool!

Nah, Chief, I'm sure you are good at it! I saw some of your other stuff (a bottle recently) and I thought it was cunning! You just need to practice. I'm sure you can pull it off better than me :)

Thanks Den! But I still need to practice! :D

I will start now. :)

Here's another try at hair. This time a woman. I tried to copy the hair style off of a sprite I generated (I love the hair colour and style lol) and this is what I got. >.>

110xav6.png

She still needs some more hair on the sides and a braid, since she had one in the other sprites :C

I can't, for some reason, increase the size or it gets really blurry and loses its pixels...I'll keep trying to increase the size though lol

You don't have to worry about double posts. I'll remove em' when I see em'.

Your first sprite's hair is really good. WAY better than anything I could do. Keep it up!

On another forum, someone mentioned that it looked like he was wearing a wig....they said exactly what I was thinking lol

I actually feel like practice is making skills grow, I sorta feel it ;P (DB/Z moment :>)

Its the dang shading I wish I knew how to do. Which way does the sun point (The lighting) by default in RPGXP? I want to be able to expand and create my own tilesets (like Muscial, only I'm gonna go for a different look. Not as good, but something cool I thought of lol) and maybe even templates to match. Well, I'll just take a peek at other sprites and notice which I prefer as my skill. :)

Thanks by the way! For both removing my extra post and the comment! I think 3 shades is too much for right now, so I have to figure out how to cut it down or something...

Honestly, I'm not the best with spriting, either, but I'm here to offer some help with what I can do. Let's start with the original sprite:

1pzc7o.jpg

T

he first thing you see with this is the decolouration of the curl of hair in the middle of the head, and the outline. You used the same colours as the the body when you should have used a black for the darker part and a darker blue for the browner part. Once I did that, this is what I got:

crimson1.png

N

ow, its not much, but it still makes a big difference in the end product. The next thing you see if that you made the detail of the hair using a lighter colour when you should have used a darker colour, but not as dark as the outline.

crimson2.png

T

hat is about it, really. I do a lot of sprites with the Pokemon sprites, which always use 5 colours for a sprite, so I added a bit of a blue tint near the top left of the hair in the next picture;

crimson3.png

Also, with the 2nd sprite, its really good but I suggest a darker outline around the hair. Keep up the good work :alright: It's really good for a beginner's sprite. I'm still a beginner :sweatdrop: Probally never going to be as good as Chief.

O.O

Thanks so much, Tomo!It looks more like a Pokemon character lol

You made Danny look so much better, and actually helped me a lot. Is black the default outline color for RPGXP RTP? How did ya manage to make the blue tint on the last image to not look like pixels? Well, that's what I think anyway >.>

He actually looks pretty good for it being my first sprite. Of course your wonderful touch ups made him better:P

I was gonna rep you, but I'm out of rep power....

*I used the browns for outlines to match the templates and Tilesets Musical is making :)*

Thanks :biggrin_002: RTP-style is kinda hard to make since it uses a lot of different colours and not always black. I used the same black that is in the original Danny, in between the legs is where that black was.

With the tint, I just followed where you had already added shadding, going darkest on the right and brightest on the left, and added it. The key to making it not look too pixely is to have it in a fairly open area away from detail. If I added it down, where there is quite a bit of detail, it would probally look pixely. You also don't want to overlap any of the detail when you add it.

Glad I helped :biggrin_002: .

~Tomo2000.

The key to making it not look too pixely is to have it in a fairly open area away from detail. If I added it down, where there is quite a bit of detail, it would probally look pixely. You also don't want to overlap any of the detail when you add it.

So you just added some light blue to an open area? *thinks* I'll add it to my practice sheet! :D

Good luck with your spriting. Be sure to post what you create when you finish it :alright: .

Work still in edit! :D

Here is a recent re-do of the female sprite. I'm gonna call her "Penelope" because 1: I love that name and 2: brown-ish white hair lol

I still have loads of work to do as I think I can spot a least a zillion different errors in her. But I think I'm getting the hang of it...

Small sprite view:

2crv79x.png

Bigger version:

xakiu.png

On the lower right of her hair over her eye, I think I need to make some bangs. It looks a little too plain there. She also needs the front bangs too. And then I have to touch up the lights and darks to try and make it look good.

Well...any thoughts? What should I improve, what should I keep trying at...?

Thanks for looking! I'm gonna get back to work on her right now lol

Good work :alright: . I have a few things to say. First, I really like the idea of the hair 'bang', where it will go over her eye. Kinda like my avatar :biggrin_002: . Also, I noticed on the top right area of the head there is a darker brown colour. What's with that? Are you planning to use that as the outline or... what? I really dont know :sweatdrop: .

I like how you implemented my 'tint' idea. I guess my tutorial with Danny helped a lot - you've fixed most of the things that I fixed with Danny. Only 2 things you could improve on. You might want to increate the colour of the detail and add some more shading. Other than that, it looks awesome.

And, on a final note:

Posted Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Niiice timing :biggrin_002: .

I try to look at other people's work (kinda like how Kiriashi said it will help to look at other's maps to improve mapping) and try to understand what they did, the trick of light, the source and most of all, the shading.

lol, yea, the darker brown colour will be gone. I'm basing this sprite off of a VX sprite I generated to look like the character in my game. I think I'm getting the hang of it :)

You might want to increate the colour of the detail and add some more shading. Other than that, it looks awesome.

Eh-splain, please? m048.gif

I'm not good at shading...at all.

----

Thanks, Ecowolfsteen! There is still much, much, much more room to improve! I need loads of improvement :)

I think I need to start all over, I'm having a problem recreating the bangs. I did it once, but my PC turned off due to a brown out >.>

Increate. Wow, what a horrid typo. I meant to say increase, like increase the darkness of the detail so you can add a bit of shading to it, like that dark blue shading you gave to Danny (right side of the hair).

I should have posted sooner... I think it looks better than my first try... I'm OK when it comes to hair, to tell you the truth, I try very hard each day to impress my depot with things... I just can't impress you all with my sprites I produce here... especially with the terrible tech i have at home :sweatdrop:

Increate. Wow, what a horrid typo. I meant to say increase, like increase the darkness of the detail so you can add a bit of shading to it, like that dark blue shading you gave to Danny (right side of the hair).

To be honest, I thought "increate" was a word and I didn't even really notice it ^.^

So you mean make the blue darker than my original. using Danny as an Example?

I should have posted sooner... I think it looks better than my first try... I'm OK when it comes to hair, to tell you the truth, I try very hard each day to impress my depot with things... I just can't impress you all with my sprites I produce here... especially with the terrible tech i have at home :sweatdrop:

Actually, I like your spriting, from what I've seen. So I think you do the hair better than you think, judging by your skills. :)

To be honest, I thought "increate" was a word and I didn't even really notice it ^.^

So you mean make the blue darker than my original. using Danny as an Example?

Yeah, pretty much :alright: . Keep up the awesome work. I'm looking forward to giving tips with the next sprite you make ^~^ .

Okay, finally, a update!

This is what I've been trying. I couldn't resize them, kept messing up the quality of the image *sigh*

This one doesn't have any shading...

wqssk7.jpg

This one I tempted to shade, but I suck at it!

fcvhif.jpg

Any suggestions/help? :D

The light sheen should be a little darker IMO. Or build up a transition with a darker color.

Ok, I've done my editing. It needed a few more colours. There was too many steps for just an image tutorial so I made a video one. Anyway, I wasn't sure on the name. How about Lyra? Here's the image.

lyra.png

Here's the video. It goes for a few minutes.

Hope you like it :biggrin_002: .

Ok, I've done my editing. It needed a few more colours. There was too many steps for just an image tutorial so I made a video one. Anyway, I wasn't sure on the name. How about Lyra? Here's the image.

lyra.png

Here's the video. It goes for a few minutes.

Hope you like it :biggrin_002: .

Wow, she looks really good now! Too bad I can't test her out, she's too big :(

*Frowns*

Is there some way to find out the right colours/shades to use? I either end up with too much, or too less :<

The light sheen should be a little darker IMO. Or build up a transition with a darker color.

I'm not very good at finding the right colours lol but I'll keep trying! :D

@Kage:

She'll have clothes as soon as I figure out how to properly shade and stuff ^,^

Onward with more spriting!

P.S

Oh....does anyone know how to test her out? It seems like I made her too big :<

The shaded hair looks a lot better than the non-shaded hair. It gives more texture to it.