New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
madanchi

moving platform

Question

Is it possible to make a moving platform and so the character can walk on it? I havnt really figured how to yet, so I'm wondering if it is even possible. I know tileset graphics are static, but is there a way for a moving platform?

I could just use the platform as a character, but then the player can stand on it - and then there's the issue of the player moving with the platform when it moves :/

so any help is great thanks :)

19 answers to this question

thnaks :) oh and yeah I doubt it can be done as well, but at least this way it can be comfirmed

Wait, Please be more specific

You want a

Moving Platform

That the player can walk on

but

when the platform moves, the player WILL NOT move with it

what happens to the player when the platform moves from under him

I didnt say or mean that

I want a platform that moves and the player moves along with it, not so the player 'doesnt' move with it :P I see your point, I worded it kind 2 ways, ill edit it now

You would need to make it so that when the character steps on the event, it automatically changes the characters graphic to the new moving tile one, move the tile until it gets to the place you want it to go, stop, change the graphics back, and make the character walk off. If that makes sense...

Well, I had the same idea, but it looks weird- as if the MC/C is stepping into the platform. And while it's fine in games like Dragon Quest where the character plays the dragon/mount rather than the character, I don't think it would apply for a platform.

I can confirm that this is possible,

I used an eventing system, with kinks in it, that allows the character to surf, with out changing either graphics of the character or the "surfboard" (said surfboard was a rock from the rtp)

Unfortunately, I did not develop the said system and it will not be easy to find. I have a copy on my laptop, which unfortunately for both you and me, is broken.

I can offer suggestions though,

If the platform moves automatically, which I believe is safe to assume is your intention, then the platform event should be created simply as an event shown as the tile. Im not sure since i dont have rmxp in front of me right now but there should be multiple event triggers.

Choose collision with event and set the event to through

make 2 pages, make the second page activate with a switch(cannot be self switch), so the first page goes first,

set the events movement to custom, and define its path

the simpler the better

make another event

in this parallel proccess event called by platform event, which will also turn on the event to activate the second page

u want variables one to hold the x and one to hold the y

umm plz remember these arent instructions but merely conjecture, so I dont know its effectiveness

ur going to want to make a conditional branch for every position the platform is at that way the player can move with it

x=0 and y =0 will be platform stopping point

at x =5 y =0 it should have passed x = 4 x = 3 x = 2 and x = 1 so u only need to put one more move command in that direction

finally

include a conditional branch that reacts to when a player presses a key for each direction, so that they can move away from the platform

end the parallel process in this conditional branch and turn off the switch, so that the first page is active

when the player steps on the platform they will continue to move with it until they press the key to get off.

I know this is really hard to understand so please ask for clarification

ooh wow! thats great news :D i'll get trying when I can next and say if ti works or not etc :) thanks

Complicated but almost every thing can be done with variables conditional branches and switches which is awesome.

This is possible guys, you just need to think it out.

Just try it madanchi; keep in mind that it is possible, you just have to figure it out.

I would have to sit down and think about it for a while, but I'm sure I'd be able to make it after a while. I hope that's encouraging somehow.. lol

Oh right, anyways. Like I was saying, you guys are over thinking this situation. Don't move the darned platform, move everything else! Easy peasy.

I have a question, is this for a platformer or rpg? Can you fall off? Or do you just step on the platformer, it moves you, then you get off?

Because if it's the latter than its just a matter, when you step on it, make a move event command for the event (move event along the path you set) then one that is the same except for its the player, then after both commands use "wait for movement" that will cause both the event and player move in parallel except the player can't do anything until it reaches the end.

EDIT: Make sure the player and platform have the same move speed, otherwise one will get to the end faster than the other

If it's a platformer game where you can jump and fall of things...that's another story.

Edited by kellessdee

RPG, yes you can fall off, it moves you (you can move round on it), and you have to get off yourself (walk or jump). For more details, check out the demo in the .zip archive.