New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
vincestick

How to use a wired Xbox 360 controller for PC (Windows XP)

Before I begin, I should tell you that I only know how to do this for XP, if you have Vista and if it works fine then hooray for you. And you do have to set the keys yourself...Oh, and all mentioned programs are 100% FREE.(If they weren't, than I wouldn't be doing this...)

Okay, first you need a wired Xbox 360 controller (I only now how to do it with a wired one).

plug the controller into any USB port.

download the software from this site (after filling in some basic questions about your computer)

Microsoft software site

Install it (This is for so when you plug it in, the computer will recognize it as the controller)

You can also check the controls by going to Control Panel, Other Hardware, and Game Controllers...

Okay, now go to this link to download Joy2Key (the dl link should be all the way at the bottom.)

Joy2Key

Download it and open it up.....

Now, in Joy2Key, Create or use the default controls, go to Others, check Use Axes other than X and Y..and Use POV Switches. then set Threshold for Input to 10.

To set a keyboard key to the desired xbox 360 controller button you'll need to be looking at the picture and the joy2key window. Double click the button you want something assigned to, then hit the keyboard button you want assigned to it (it should automatically assign it if you're on the 'keyboard' tab). To assign the mouse movement to the analog sticks find the corresponding axis, open the config for that button up, then click the mouse tab. You'll need to set each axis to a horizontal/vertical movement. I suggest you set it to around 50-70 in either direction (the slider under Cursor movement = mouse movement). You can assign a mouse button click on this page as well. If you play on a widescreen monitor 10 or so higher Horizontal movement is suggested (it works better for me). For those that like to play inverted all you have to do is set Down to the Up on the joystick and vice versa.

Here is the picture that shows what the xbox buttons are for Joy2Key.

Xbox360WirelessControllerImageX3.jpg

This is good for if you're playing a game on PC that's also on the 360 (Fallout 3, GTA IV, etc etc.....and also other games like Fable TLC, World of Warcraft (well, most controls for WoW, anyway....I managed to work with it.), or even if you want to use it to play any RMXP games.

And, that should be it....I'm not very good at explaining and I don't think I've ever done a tut before on anything....if you have any problems let me know.

Nice little tutorial. Understandable.

I got my PS3 controller to work on my computer as a mouse, Some keyboard buttons.

That's pretty cool. I would never have a xbox myself so it's useless to me. Now if Pol taught me how to use the PS3 controller that would be cool.

Well I have Vista and I did not have to do any of that stuff as the controller had the software in it. I just plugged, set up, and played. Also if you buy newer PC games for Vista look on the back and if you see a X-Box controller symbol it means the controller can be used for that Windows Vista PC game.