New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Iguanaguy39

Viviboy's Kraken Image

Question

I had a question concerning the kraken/giant squid image that is posted in his gallery and in the main gallery. Is this available for commercial use? Is there any place on  a person's page or the gallery where I can view terms of use. I would like to use said image in a commercial potential game but I won't if it isn't allowed, but I need to find out somehow. Can anyone help me with information please.

post-31468-0-58319900-1516843106_thumb.png

6 answers to this question

Perhaps the answer is similar to the one given in this thread.

Hope this help. "Marked" is the site owner btw.

Edited by black mage

Thanks Black mage. I noticed that there is a lot of stuff on here that predates MV release so it isn't always clear to know the "availablilty" of some of these items. I have a backup plan in case this is not usable in my project due to agreement issues but for now I think I will leave it in place and give proper credit in the game when that time comes. I asked this question on steam forums and no one there seemed to know about this squid image much.

To be honest. I do not know exactly. I have purchased several DLCs for VX ACE and MV in the last while and have received bonus ones from the Devs through steam downloads. It was just recently when I was trying to trace all my "stuff" back to source so I can make sure proper credits are due that I was not finding an original source for this guy. When I google searched it, the only reference was viviboy posting it on the site so I was hoping to find an answer to its origin here.I didn't always care about this stuff as much, but now that I am considering making a commercial game, I'm trying to avoid using anything where the artist does not want that done or needs to be notified first.

Ah I see, that image was uploaded in Dec 2008. More than 9 years ago. I would suggest that it is very unlikely to be owned by the uploader. 

In terms of commercial use, if it were me, I would abandon any copyrighted material which I didn't have express rights to use. Given the liklihood of a claim, you might think it is worth proceeding with the risk. The risk of enforcement is probably small, but given that you could source an alternative with probably little effort means that you should probably do just that. So if it were me, I would use that image as a placeholder until I know for certain im going to make money from the game. I really think this will be a tough one to track down the owner.  :(

Yeah. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a lead. might check deviant art but that's a big haystack as well. It's a great looking squid so it's really sad to let it "gather dust" and not use it, but my fear is that it may come back to bite me if I do and find out it is from some software company's archive - ouch. Thanks for looking into this a bit for me. I was hoping for a solid lead but at least I know more than yesterday...and I got myself signed up on GD as well so that's a plus too!