New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Refinery usernames idea

So the idea behind the refinery display name was to allow members to use their real names, to bring forward a sense of community and attribution to works. In a sense, a member's refinery posts are like their portfolio of works. 

My new idea for display names are a follows, two options, either:

• a customer name with a field for a first name and last name. You enter those details and your display username shows as follows
    • first name "username" last name, i.e.

• Mark "Kushi" Markingtonson. 
  • or not a custom name, the standard username shows up just like on the forums. 

While I don't think I'll use this feature, I think some people in the community will enjoy this feature.

While I don't think I'll use this feature, I think some people in the community will enjoy this feature.

Yeah, I mean with this type of website it is quite peculiar to publish your real name. However the refinery is meant to be something more personal, as I said in the op. The other websites that the refinery is based on use real names and not usernames, just like any social media account. In any case, it'd be purely optional. 

What if my real name is Chief?

... it's not?

I like having the option to customise like it is, now. I set my name in the Refinery as my actual first name, last initial. Personally, I kind of enjoy seeing people's names in the Refinery (eg Roody's, Omars, etc). It doesn't have to be the full name -- but it's kinda nice to see users in the forums with their usernames, and then having a sort of throwing in an irl element in the Refinery.

It's probably supposed to seem professional? I'm guessing, anyway. But it feels more personal for me. Maybe because I've been in and out of this site over a period of a few years, but yeah. I like it lol