New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

GDU4 Progress Update.

Hey guys 

So there I was, taking 3 weeks leave from work and expecting to make some inroads into the GDU4 update. Somehow I managed to take a step backwards, trying to set up a dev server on a hidden URL on the live server, which I failed at. In the end it would have taken too much time and I'm back home now with a super speedy local server. 

So progress is currently slow.

GDU4 will include the following:

• an update to the forum software.

• re-written front-end for the website (minus the forums) using YooTheme's UIKit 3.0. We had previously used twitter bootstrap which was really great, but by now is a bit dated and falling behind since it hasn't had a stable release in years. 

• tweaked design, based on this template. This design will be modern, minimalistic and full-width.

• GDU Refinery will be integrated back into GDU's overall design and named back to the GDU Refinery (currently called the Game Dev Refinery).

• Updates a future focus on the games section and GDU Refinery. 

As for the timing, it really depends. Most likely 1.5 months from now. This is actually a very ambitious project, because I've essentially ripped out the entire front-end of the website and replacing it. But I'm sure it'll be worth it! UIKit is a powerful framework with no signs of slowing down in development. 

It is hard to give screenies because you really need to be on the site live, but here's a couple:

2aed41b50e305b06210ca2dfbbeb2e30.png

b582b869a122366ba71d165da47a254a.png

It's looking good, Marked! I've always been amazed how you manage this site all by your lonesome. And you code everything so nice. Can't wait to see the 4th rendition!!  :grin:

P.S. I'm always lurking about. Never gone.... *fades into shadows*

Your graphic design skills are really good! It's making this website look better and better with every update!

The plans you have for this website are also really neat, can't wait to see them in action!

I think maybe another good thing to add to the refinery is a leader board of the top people posting. It would make it easier to see all the levels of the website.

Speaking of graphic design, I should really get Adobe Fireworks and work on some graphics myself... That's something expensive that I'm going to have to afford for future uses in my university programs... ech...

It's looking good, Marked! I've always been amazed how you manage this site all by your lonesome. And you code everything so nice. Can't wait to see the 4th rendition!!  :grin:

P.S. I'm always lurking about. Never gone.... *fades into shadows*

It is pretty lonely now that you mention it  :(

Your graphic design skills are really good! It's making this website look better and better with every update!

The plans you have for this website are also really neat, can't wait to see them in action!

I think maybe another good thing to add to the refinery is a leader board of the top people posting. It would make it easier to see all the levels of the website.

Speaking of graphic design, I should really get Adobe Fireworks and work on some graphics myself... That's something expensive that I'm going to have to afford for future uses in my university programs... ech...

Thanks :D I haven't designed anything so far though  :P  All design is outsourced. Even the GDU logo (made by Chief). I'm more about the code, even if that means constructing designs into websites using HTML and CSS, which is so basic that I've never told anyone that I can do it.

Btw I think fireworks has been discontinued by Adobe. Also, all software is free if you have the internet D: 

Lookin' good, Marked! I just started building a site from the ground up, myself. I'm always impressed with your ability to stick with this place. My ADD would have driven me from it a long time ago.

Keep it up!

Good news guys, yesterday I spent a bit of time on GDU4. The first time in months. GDU4 is still coming! 

The update will have practically 0 new features, except for updated forum software. The reason for this is it would be impossible to finish revamping the entire website front-end without getting distracted by developing new features. 

To summarize once again, GDU4....

1. Will have a nice and modern design and UI; 
  2. Will be way more simplified; 
  3. Updated forum software; 
  4. No new features in terms of functionality; 
  5. Looking into the future, any development will be focused on the games section and the refinery, which I think have the most potential for attracting developers. The refinery is actually really cool.... we just need some more users! 

Looking forward to see how this place grows and develops, it's come so far since that free forum software 11 years ago. Liking the planned changes though. :)