New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

11 Dec '16 GDR Updates

Hey guys 

Slowly adding some much needed improvements to GDR :)

New Header

I've added a whole new header and look. I'll try to minimize the amount of stuff while making it obvious to new visitors what GDR is about. The branding is a lot different from GDU, which I don't really wana do but I think it's necessary: it's all part of showing people immediately what the system is about. I.e. if you've never been here and you read "GDU Refinery", you don't really its game dev, as compared to "Game Dev Refinery". I've also brought back the famous RMXPU bubbles, and added something a little more gamey, with a Dota Sven (see my signature).

Ability edit posts 

It took a lot of coding, but you guys can now edit posts! That is, of course, if you do so within 3 days of posting in which case editing is locked (for obvious reasons.. if you have an update, just make another post). 

This is particularly useful for mods - I've gone through and removed a certain someone's spammy tags. Phew! 

Follow Post changed to Bookmarked Posts

I've realized that no one really wants to follow posts per se.... but maybe save them, keep them for later. Accordingly, to encourage more use, I've changed the terminology from following posts to bookmarking posts. Accordingly, you'll find your bookmarks in the menu bar:

d6e4975587dc02a6db3bc2a37b93f7ab.png

Future updates

On the plate for future updates are as follows:

• ability to edit comments
  • more comment actions, including "agreed, helpful, like, funny" etc.
  • improved profiles 
  • a member's listing and leaderboard 
  • an updated homepage... I'm thinking of merging the activity tab into a sidebar instead of having it separated out. We'll see how it goes :)

Lemme know what you think of the new look. You guys are awfully shy with feedback sometimes (am I that intimidating? :lmao:  :angry: ).

Oh...

Oh you had to...

But I really like the new look, and the ability to edit is very handy for people who need to. Makes less need for unnecessary multi posts when you can edit a post.

I think 3 days is a good enough time to let someone edit for an update, helps keep relevancy before it dies of a bit.