New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

What is the refinery missing?

Hi guys 

I'm about to starting advertising the refinery. Before I do, what features do you think its missing? I haven't received a ton of feedback, which is fair enough given that it needs a sizeable influx of developers :) I think that a system like this needs momentum in terms of activity to keep it afloat. Before I attempt to build such momentum, I want to make sure there's nothing majorly missing from the system, such that it affects people wanting to stick around.

It all depends on the direction you want to go with it. If it gets really popular peoples posts could get buried fast and not a single person could see them. Maybe you could make a use for the points system and make a featured post or something for the cost of points. Could also have a hot and trending tab for topics that get alot of attention. Maybe a small banner system at the top where people could spend points to have something advertised for lets say a week. It could cycle through banners every 5-10sec.

Points system: You could do the points system kind of like the forums or even use the same system.

To be honest, an edit, or delete post feature is the only crucial thing missing. I like Pol's suggestion too, but aside from that, I have no further suggestions for GDUr.

I also like the concept of that EXP system you suggested awhile back.

It all depends on the direction you want to go with it. If it gets really popular peoples posts could get buried fast and not a single person could see them. Maybe you could make a use for the points system and make a featured post or something for the cost of points. Could also have a hot and trending tab for topics that get alot of attention. Maybe a small banner system at the top where people could spend points to have something advertised for lets say a week. It could cycle through banners every 5-10sec.

Points system: You could do the points system kind of like the forums or even use the same system.

If there's so many posts that posts are getting burried, I'm not sure we have a problem :) But yeah, I see exactly what you mean and "really popular" I think is the only way to fuel the system, if you get what I mean. I.e., compare the community involvement needed for a successful blog, forum or GDUr. I think you move along the scale in terms of community involvement needed to keep it going. Content is super short-term and all you really want is likes and comments as soon as you post it. There's sort of portfolio feel also to the profiles. Anyway, I like your suggestions a lot. The challenging part with those is the timing: I have two planned features waiting in featured posts + currently online (in real-time). The inclusion of those now, for example, would make the system look less active beacuse there's not enough happening for those to be useful. 

To be honest, an edit, or delete post feature is the only crucial thing missing. I like Pol's suggestion too, but aside from that, I have no further suggestions for GDUr.

I also like the concept of that EXP system you suggested awhile back.

Haha..... Ya, of course.... those are essential but I've been too lazy to code them. TBH it takes a long while to code that out, and no one really has complained and maybe you would forget if we didnt have to edit your post  :grin: I will definitely add those in...... 

Filter by games/tags/authors

Would be great if I could go through just things that I want to see.

You can do tags and members by:

• clicking on a tag in a post; and
  • visiting a member's profile.

You can't filter by game.

Do you think these should be implemented differently? It's a bit difficult to judge the problems at the moment, given that there's only a handful of posts. 

Well, the big filter button on the front page is a start. If it provided more customization options(including the ones i've mentioned) rather than just the post type, it would be infinitely easier to find the content I want. I wouldnt have to navigate to a lot of pages, I could do it all in the frontpage.

Edited by KenOfNZ