New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
MaverickHunterDBoy

Commercial Games with RPG Maker 2000

Hey, all.

Not too long ago, RPG Maker 2000 became available on Steam.

And I learned through Steam's community forums that it's possible that one is allowed to make commercial games with RPG Maker 2000 now (provided it's your own idea, natch).

So, I was wondering if anyone here has considered such.

[Note to admins/mods: I posted in this thread since there's no RPG Maker 2000 section in the forums.]

Well, the quality isn't that great on RPG Maker 2000 if you were to make a game, so you would have to make your game be very unique in it's own sense if you wanted to make a profit on it. Otherwise, if you just used regular RTP resources with making your game, and sold it for like 5, 10, whatever bucks for the game, it would make you look like just some other guy and people would likely ignore your game. Even mentioning the use of a 16 going on 17 year old game creation software that makes games that look as not great as Final Fantasy 1, wouldn't do well for your reputation.

My personal opinion is to use stuff that looks much better than what you have offered with RPG Maker 2000's RTP, and use your own soundtrack with it. Something to give PiZZaZ! to the old program.

Of course you can :) I never thought there was  issues with selling on any of the RPG Makers.

But why RM2K? It's soooo old. Even I've used it before. MV is much more portable. I would thought it's very difficult to sell a game that you have to download on your desktop when there's so many good free ones these days. Something like an andriod game or in-browser... I think you'd be more likely to be successful.