New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
LMichelle

Formula problem

Someone once told me it was wise to make the beginning of your favorite game for learning purposes.

Thus, I've been looking at Grandia 1.

Now, I'm trying to figure out the formula for the experience, but being the noob I am... I'm not getting anywhere.

I tried linear and exponential way of solving the problem, but as I expected, it doesn't give good results.

So for the character, this is what I jotted down:

Lv 1 -->  exp to next level = 26

Lv 2 --> exp to next level = 73

Lv 3 --> exp to next level = 183

lv 4 ---> exp to next level = 328

For the record, the linear way of solving gave me nice and rounded numbers; this is what I did:

y = ax+ b ---> 

a = (73 - 26) / 1 = 47

a = (183 - 73) = 110

a = (328 - 183) = 145

since all the a's were different...

my exponential formula definitely wasn't right..

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've looked around on Google but what I've seen is way to hard for me to understand (especially since I'm not native to English), so please, noob-language would be much appreciated :)

Especially since this is only the experience formula- how on earth am I going to solve the other stats...!? Oh well.

Thank you for reading/ helping me out!

Lisa

I would try using Excel or something similar (Like Google Sheets or Open Office Calc) to make a table for this. You type each part of the formula into different cells and the other cells change based on that. Once it's all set up, you can just mess with a couple numbers until you get it right.

...If I understood your problem lol. If you don't know how to use any of those, I might be able to give you a simple tutorial.

I see that you use XP and MV. 

I would suggest finding the experience formulas in those? Shouldn't be too hard given you can easily access the scripts.

Are you using a different software such as Unity or Game Maker? (I'm not sure if those have exp systems by default.) I think you could just do something like this:

e=1.5p

Where e is the exp rate, p is the previous exp needed, and the current exp needed value equals the previous exp needed value times 1.5 (doesn't have to be 1.5, just a suggestion maybe)

Hopefully this helps. I'm not really sure if this would work or not.

I see that you use XP and MV. 

I would suggest finding the experience formulas in those? Shouldn't be too hard given you can easily access the scripts.

Thank you, I would've if Grandia was a game made in XP or MV, but it's a PSone game. I'm trying to remake it in MV though, if that would be possible.

I would try using Excel or something similar (Like Google Sheets or Open Office Calc) to make a table for this. You type each part of the formula into different cells and the other cells change based on that. Once it's all set up, you can just mess with a couple numbers until you get it right.

...If I understood your problem lol. If you don't know how to use any of those, I might be able to give you a simple tutorial.

I actually tried to type in the levels, but I don't know how to get the program to figure out a formula for it :(

It was so long ago that I last worked with Excel. I would be very happy if you could help me out with that!

Are you using a different software such as Unity or Game Maker? (I'm not sure if those have exp systems by default.) I think you could just do something like this:

e=1.5p

Where e is the exp rate, p is the previous exp needed, and the current exp needed value equals the previous exp needed value times 1.5 (doesn't have to be 1.5, just a suggestion maybe)

Hopefully this helps. I'm not really sure if this would work or not.

I'm using RPG Maker MV to make the remake. 

Unfortunately, that formula is the same as y=ax. For every new value the a become a lot bigger, which is why I think it's probably not a linear formula...

Thank you all for your help! (and sorry for my late reply)