New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
railfan101

RPG Maker MV Script reading and Java writer

Question

If that title is confusing, and I'm sure it is, I'll explain here.  

First off, when I finish my Gybonis project in Ace, my next project will be in MV (Thank you steam for that huge memorial day sale).  But I'm experiencing a couple of problems.  First, I am very interested in learning Java and having the new game engine MV that writes in Java makes that possible now.  I would like to know though, what would be a good program to write scripts in?  I can view and edit scripts in notepad right now, but is there a better way to do it?  

Also I noticed when i splurged on the memorial day sale for all the MV resources, I noticed some assets were turned for 8 directional movement.  How are you supposed to do 8 directions in MV?  Has anyone been able to figure that out yet?

11 answers to this question

I'm sorry.  I'm a complete moron when it comes to programming languages.  I don't know the difference between any of them, as you've plainly pointed out.  

That's fine. And I'm sorry that that's all I can contribute to this topic lol.

edit: actually...if you want to learn JavaScript, Pol and I (mostly him) can help a little (emphasis on a little), but as for writing scripts...Notepad++ would probably be good.

Since the syntax mostly comes down to the engine its self i wont be much help. Im pro when it comes to programming in Unity but when it comes to mv im clueless since i got to work with other peoples code and systems where in Unity i only have to worry about working with my own code and systems so i know exactly what syntax to use. Personally i find it way easier to start with nothing than to start with something that's already in place.

As to learning JS.... its mostly the same as any language. Every language keeps with the basics like how to do a function, define a variable, an if statement, etc.... sure it might be slightly different per language but its 90% the same. Easy to move between different languages since the basics are the same.

As bob said Notepad++ would be your best script editor. Id start with code academy for learning.I never tried them myself since i learn just by jumping in, failing x100000 times before having success. https://www.codecademy.com/learn/javascript Once you learn the basics from them you should be good in that department but as i said earlier it comes down to the engine/systems(API) its self.

EX: in my game you would do "NSA.Stuff.Player[0].HP += 10" to increase the players HP by 10

Learning JS wont make you know how to make scripts for MV but it will help GREATLY understand how they have things setup and how to change/add/make your own stuff.

Hopefully this post was helpful.

I appreciate the help.  Thank you.  I will be finishing my game in Ace before I work to MV, so it will be awhile before I can put this to use.  Thank you for your help though.

Better?

Nope, still in the wrong section. 

So I made a mistake.  I'm sorry.  

All good, it's just useful when topics are in their correct category because it makes it easier for others when the same problem to find the solution. It really doesn't matter if you accidentally post it somewhere when there's a better forum for it... it's more of an administrative thing.