New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
railfan101

My game Gybonis Alpha Coming soon

For a long while now, I've been chugging away at a game idea I've had rolling around in my head for years.  After a lot of hard work at finalizing the story and slowly building maps: (had to take the last three weeks off from the game just to clear my head as I was beginning to get burned out) I want to offically announce that on June 13, I will be releasing the first Alpha build of my game.  This initial build is simply a demonstration of what the game will be like.  As i have never gotten this far in any previous game projects to actually release something in this early stage, I would like to ask for advice in this matter.  

What is considered a good point to start the game at?  Should I start it at the beginning of the game, or should i start at some point after the intro of the game?  I kinda want to do the latter, as i think starting at the intro would spoil a lot.  

What do you guys think?  thanks for your help.

Wow, I have been waiting for this announcement from you for a while, glad to hear you are still working on your project!

I know the story you have right now, and I suggest it would be better to start the alpha after the intro, as I do agree that a lot of the game would be spoiled for just an alpha, so yeah.

Hopefully I'll get to play your alpha soon :o)

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if there was any big reason to keep going with the game as it seemed after a while no one seemed to have an interest.  Plus if I'm not highly invested, then what's the point?  I think I know exactly where to start the game from, so we'll see how that works.

What you need to ask yourself first is do I really need an alpha/beta? Alpha/betas should only be done if you need testing done. Its not really needed to demonstrate something(you could easily make a video for that). If you release something to early it could lead to people losing interest before the game is actually out. Your best bet is to tease people with videos.

For an example. I didn't even want to release an alpha of my game Mine Clicker till I actually had a fully playable version of the game from start to finish. All my testing was done in private with friends at first, then once all the major bugs were taken care of I did a public release to really find the bugs, then after that I took care of those problems, added more features then released it.

I know as a game dev you really want to get your game out there ASAP but the reality of it is that you need to question yourself if you really need an alpha/beta.

For my new game im working on im not going to have public testing otherwise it may make people bored of the game before the release. Ill show things like videos and screenshots of it to build the hype but never release a public alpha/beta unless I REALLY need it.

That is my experience that I had so far with game development.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Thank you.  When i was seeing alphas and betas for other games like the Batman arkham series, and/or other lesser known games, i had always thought those games were being shown for how they look and the story.  The way the story is set up, however, a beta of the game would probably be set somewhere after the intro.  I really do want to get my game out there and show it to everyone, but after the post made above by Pol, I think it might be better that i hold off on it.  The story is i think a bigger focus than gameplay, and if i was to release something now, it might make it stale by the time the full release is ready.  Whenever that is.  

I thought releasing an alpha now was a good idea, but after reading Pol's response, maybe not.

I think you should probably do what Polraudio said and make videos about Gybonis rather than releasing an extremely early demo. I think you should do an alpha/beta when you've pretty much made almost all of the game, and it's fully playable and all that.

Ok, after some thought and consideration, I've decided I'll tease the game with a few screenshots.  I have attempted to pick out maps that I believe are mostly done, and having also noticed, I had to completely redo every map within the first section of the game, that has slowed down production a bit.  So sometime tonight, i'll be posting 5 images from my game.  

Also later in the week, I'll be posting a video which is actually a problem I'm having with a tileset I'm using in the game.  I'm having trouble trying to describe my problem, so I figured it might be better I show you.  And no, there are no spoilers in the game, i haven't done any eventing in the game yet.  

I figure I should get almost all the maps done first, then start putting events into the game.  Unless someone can offer a different approach.  My experience in the past regarding this has been if i spend 10 man hours working on a small portion of the game and ignore everything else, then the rest of the game ends up not getting done at all.  

So, images later tonight, and a troubleshooting video later on in the week.  Something to look forward to this memorial holiday.

I hope I'm not violating any rules by posting in this year old thread.  

I am simply announcing here this project of mine is not dead, I just haven't been very inspired lately to complete the game, and it's been over a year since I've done any progress on it, so I don't have any progress to show.  But for anyone who was still interested (assuming I haven't been forgotten), I am developing determination to finish the game I started.  I have had this story in my head for so long and I want it to come out.  I have decided the game engine is the best way to do it.  

If I violated any rules by posting here after over a year I'm sorry.

You totally have not violated any rules.

You do have a very good story set up for Gybonis, and I do want to see the game finished!  :thumbsup:

I appreciate the support. It would be nice if more than one person showed interest though. I have a new build I want to ask some of you to try out. For this one, I'm only interested in the enemy balancing of the first dungeon and first boss.