New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

7.5 days of data lost, normal service restored

Good afternoon all, 

I have had to take the drastic measure of restoring a backup of the site to restore its functionality prior to the event 7 and a 1/2 days ago. 

I attempted to upgrade the site, but underestimated the number of problems I would encounter. I may well have been able to finish, but it would have taken a great deal of time which I just don't have any more working full time (and a little bit extra). 

Given the low activity of the site, it's not viable to invest in an upgrade of the forums. The upgraded version is very nice and contains a lot of cool features, but would take a considerable amount of time and effort to integrate into the site. So I am definitely a little disappointed about that. As I was trekking along an awfully long and rocky sandspit this afternoon, I had time to reflect on things such as the future of the site. I'm at a point in my life where I probably can't spend any great deal of time on it anymore and we don't seem to attract too many developers (mainly leechers), although we certainly do have a talented few who drop by. In 2 weeks from now, it will 10 years since I created the original version of this site. That is a milestone I am more than happy with, and at some point, I'd like the community to decide on the future of GDU. I really don't want to host a graveyard. 

P.S. If anyone wants any posts or topics restored that they made over the last 8-ish days, and it's gone, let me know and I'll see if I can restore it. Well, I can. But we'll see if I have time. Sorry about the music resource topic, I know there was a little bit of activity in there. I do have the data, it's just in a different form and I would have to manually pick it all out and insert it back in, which would take me some time.

Good thing you had a backup. As for the future of the site if it comes down to it ill take over if the community decides they want to keep it and if you don't want to have anything to do with it.

Personally the only reason id keep it around is for a place to hang out but i suppose its an expensive place to hang out lol.

In the end we always have other places to hang out like teamspeak, the steam group, IRC, Curse, a free forum we can make, etc...

If anyone wants to discuss the future of the site or just a place to talk over voice/chat i have a 10 person teamspeak server. Just send me an PM and ill give you the address. Im usually in it when im home.

I'd like to see the site stay online.  If i ever get my game done in the forseeable future, I'd like everyone to see it at some point.  

This site being here was always my safety net, I always thought: "Well, I haven't done much on my game, but if I ever got enthusiastic about it, this place will still be here."

I've been lurking for like, at least half the sites life, been here at least since it was rmxpunlimited. I couldn't imagine it gone... It'd be a real shame, since forums are kinda on their last legs as a breed, altogether. Unless you're Bungie or some enormous company, you just can't attract a huge clientele for these things anymore. I grew up on these, they're a real key piece of my childhood and major influence to where I went on the internet.

Shoot.. I went radio silent to focus on school, and I come back to this.. Honestly, I'll be sad if GDU goes down. I genuinely would rather be here than the RPG Maker official forum, because lets face it, its... not that good.. it blows tbh

Regardless, I understand what you're getting at. If you don't feel GDU is worth hosting, we can't force you into keeping it up.

If you choose to shut it down, thanks for a great Game Design centered website, a great choice of moderators, and reasonable rules.  :)