New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Nisage

Programs Freezing, How To Fix?

This has been happening for a few months now, and I'm fed-up with it. Either Windows Media Player, Firefox (sometimes on Youtube where videos fail to load), League of Legends, and a few other programs will just randomly freeze for either a few second to about 2 minutes. At first, thought it was a minor bug from an update, but it's been months now and it's still happening. Even had a pop-up saying that Java Script stopped responding and asked if I either wanted to Continue or Stop the Script entirely. I just want to know what it could be and how to fix it before I do a clean reboot. Would really hate to do that, but again, last resort.

So, any ideas what my computer glitch could be? Failed update/installation? Virus the scanners aren't picking up? Another option that I cannot think of? Please and thank you :)

Have you tried changing from windows media player to VLC Player and league of legends to Dota 2?

I agree with switching to VLC, but LoL and Dota 2 are both terrible.

Pol to the rescue!

Ok im going to ask 2 questions here since it sounds like a virus/malware/otherthings.

1: What program are you using?

2: Have you checked the msconfig to see if any unwanted programs are starting up?

@Marked: I do have VLC, might try and see if it works ok or bugs out as well. Staying with League. Been a Summoner for almost 4+ years, too fun and fits my style of game-play (to some extent. Support Main :) ).

@Bob423: Alas, it freezes as well sometimes when everything else lags. Let's not go into that fight, please.

@Polraudio: Love how Malwarebytes, Spyroot and Windows Defender find nothing and you say it might be virus/malware/otherthings. Knowing my luck, it might be.....

1. Uh, everything, as far as I know. Let's make a list. Windows Media Player, VLC, League of Legends, YGO Pro, Firefox. Those are the only ones that lag/freeze for an annoying amount of time. Haven't tried Heroes of the Storm, HearthStone, Dungeon Defender, Bloons TD5, or Undertale recently to see if they're acting the same way as well.

2. Nope, not at all. Did go into Task Manager and try to disable a few things that do start-up. Made things even worse, so I re-enabled almost everything again.

@Local Prinny: Alas, it freezes as well sometimes when everything else lags. Let's not go into that fight, please.

I have a name lol :P (WARNING! The following is an opinion: btw, I haven't actually tried LoL, but if it's the same genre as Dota 2, then it's probably just as boring.)

If Malwarebytes didn't find anything, maybe it's a hardware problem...?

@Bob423: And that's what I get for typing this at 3 in the morning. Sorry about that, fixed it.

@Polraudio: Installed, scanned (nothing found) cleaned and posting.
http://imgur.com/1qYxSQd

IAmStorIcon never works. I always have a message saying that it stopped responding, so I End Task it whenever I can. Not even sure what it's supposed to do really. Never used it once.

@Bob423: And that's what I get for typing this at 3 in the morning. Sorry about that, fixed it.

Aww, why? I thought it was funny lol

IAmStorIcon never works. I always have a message saying that it stopped responding, so I End Task it whenever I can. Not even sure what it's supposed to do really. Never used it once.

Just looked it up. It's supposed to increase hard drive performance. Disabling it probably wouldn't hurt, if only to get rid of the "stopped responding" message. It's probably not hurting anything staying on either, though.

source: http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-5460-program.aspx

None of your startup programs seem malicious.

Dawak. Just turn your compy on in safe mode or disable all non-essential start-up items to see if it's a start up program causing this. It shouldn't take too long to determine that. Careful with CCleaner, you may delete something you wanted. 

Make sure all of your drivers are updated, particularly your graphics card drivers because your crashing programs all rely on a graphix card. 

Btw, windows 10? What graphics card and what CPU? 

Also run memtest to debug your RAM. I actually did this and it didn't detect my faulty stick, although it wasn't so much this, it was more BSOD's. But that was damnnnnn tricky to debug. 

Dawak. Just turn your compy on in safe mode or disable all non-essential start-up items to see if it's a start up program causing this. It shouldn't take too long to determine that. Careful with CCleaner, you may delete something you wanted. 

Make sure all of your drivers are updated, particularly your graphics card drivers because your crashing programs all rely on a graphix card. 

Btw, windows 10? What graphics card and what CPU? 

Also run memtest to debug your RAM. I actually did this and it didn't detect my faulty stick, although it wasn't so much this, it was more BSOD's. But that was damnnnnn tricky to debug. 

Really? Forgot how to start-up in safe mode sadly, rarely go into it. I don't mess with any setting in CCleaner, I let it do the work. Time to disable a few things.

I made sure of that, Java and Adobe are updated. Not sure how to check on Drives.

It was a Windows 8, but got a free upgrade to 10. Intel-inside Corei5. How do I show the specs again? (Yeah, see how long it's been since I've done any of this?.....)

Memtest? BSOD? Now you lost me.

EWWWW an upgrade! Problems usually come with an upgrade if you dont do a full install. Upgrading is usually never a good idea for any OS and you should always do a full fresh install. That is prob where most of your problems are coming from.

Its also possible that your hard drive has some bad sectors. bad sectors are usually caused by the computer shutting down wrong(usually power failures or holding the power button to shut it off).

How to do this is open command prompt as administrator then type without quotes "chkdsk c: /r", it will ask you if you would like it to run after a restart so say yes and restart. It may take a long time to do but it will remove all bad sectors from your hard drive and if that was the problem it should be fixed.

My bet is that its because you upgraded.

You should google if you don't understand.

A fresh install will fix it (if it's software) but usually considered a last resort. But if i was you, who doesn't know a lot, you should do it. You won't lose your files. It's worth it. Just dont format the hdd. Check the hdd health before a fresh install. To do so, google how.

You could Google how, but I bet Pol knows how and would happy to walk you through the steps when he has time...right?

EWWWW an upgrade! Problems usually come with an upgrade if you dont do a full install. Upgrading is usually never a good idea for any OS and you should always do a full fresh install. That is prob where most of your problems are coming from.

Its also possible that your hard drive has some bad sectors. bad sectors are usually caused by the computer shutting down wrong(usually power failures or holding the power button to shut it off).

How to do this is open command prompt as administrator then type without quotes "chkdsk c: /r", it will ask you if you would like it to run after a restart so say yes and restart. It may take a long time to do but it will remove all bad sectors from your hard drive and if that was the problem it should be fixed.

My bet is that its because you upgraded.

I know, right? Hate most of these "upgrades". They cause more problems then fixes. I believe it did a full install. Took long enough to at least.

That might be it. I did have to force shut-down a few times, while other times it randomly turned off itself. I think from overheating, but doubt that. Sadly, I tried the "chkdsk c: /r" and to no avail. Did managed to get pictures of the annoying things that keep happening.....

This one keeps showing up on some internet sites, like with GDUnlimited,

http://i.imgur.com/U6YDsX4.png

I know I'm not that knowledgeable in computers, but shouldn't there be only one Adobe listed?,

http://i.imgur.com/K7YS7Rh.png

There might be a chance it was the upgrade. So what now professor?

You should google if you don't understand.

A fresh install will fix it (if it's software) but usually considered a last resort. But if i was you, who doesn't know a lot, you should do it. You won't lose your files. It's worth it. Just dont format the hdd. Check the hdd health before a fresh install. To do so, google how.

I actually tried googling this freezing problem, had either no results or got other problems entirely different.

So re-installing Windows 10 might fix a few things? Oh, also, to a response earlier. I do have iTunesHelper, Microsoft OneDrive, Razer Wizard, Steam Client Bootstrapper, Webroot SecureAnywhere and Webroot Installer x4 (not sure why it's listed 4 times) all disabled on Startup.

EDIT: I checked the HDD health and it says everything's fine, no bugs or problems at all.

You could Google how, but I bet Pol knows how and would happy to walk you through the steps when he has time...right?

That would probably be a lot easier. Least it'd get fixed properly without me screwing something up by accident. But before I become a little annoyance, let's see if I can't fix it by myself to an extent first.