New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

New Homepage Layout

A post by xTsukihime prompted me to clean up the homepage layout. At first I was going for a sort of facebook type activity feed, but I didn't limit the length of certain types of content, such as posts. A certain post by Kitsuki where she posted an entire script, for example, would make it very long.

So I've made a grid, with a different style for each content type.

8248c2d5e86273ca4ea9d6444262e955.gif

18de0fd8732bddd7b9d55a8110a24061.png

The layout is much, much cleaner.

For content like scripts, if you have a screenie, that'll come up in the header. Otherwise it'll revert to the colour denoted throughout the site for scripts:

e858b5bae9e8759293b78b4cc2473995.png63cc85aa692599420b2d7d11defca787.png

It's rather unfinished, but I plan to complete it over time. For example, I haven't set up tutorials, because you guys hardly ever post tutorials. I'll fix bugs as they happen.

One significant thing I want to do is incorporate this on the board/forum index as well. Note that it's different to the recent activity module on the forum sidebar; that is actually new content AND all comments. So on the index, I plan to implement a tab system where the forums are shown by default; but you can click a page to load these recent activity blocks. So adding a tab somewhere above the first forum category:

5bcab125ab1a68b230f30abff59e1b8c.png

I rather like the change to the front page- and if that screenshot of the bar is what you're changing it to for forums, I probably wouldn't complain.

This thread also made me think I should make a tutorial. Sadly, I don't really know anything i could teach people...I only know random resources for dumb things like my favorite translation site. But this will definitely make ti easier to find a lot of things, I think.

...though admittedly, it's the front page I rarely look at...

...though admittedly, it's the front page I rarely look at...

Yep, very few active members have a use for the homepage, but it's useful for new visitors. However, I have added it to the homepage. It's the exact same output, so hopefully you'll make use it :)

3b70c1d2a438f911b661859f724d981d.png

The counter is the # of new content items within the last 24hrs.

I really like the addition, though there seems to be a bug with the new content tab: It never changes the number after I check it.

there seems to be a bug with the new content tab: It never changes the number after I check it.

Look at the list and then look at the dates and see if there's the same # within the last 24hrs. 

I looked at the list...looked at what was on it and such, then left the list and the page. refreshed it...and it's still showing me '3 recent' things when I already looked at them.

Lol I don't know how to be more clear than this  :P

It doesn't care whether you've looked at it or night. The counter is there just to get people's attention, actually. I don't have a great deal of time to code stuff up these days, and creating such a system where I'm tracking what you've read isn't worth the time given the amount of people on this forum at the moment. Sorry to disappoint. 

Ahhh okay. Sorry, I'm very oblivious and simple minded by nature, so it takes extra prodding for my brain to comprehend. Now it makes sense. I'll just have to make sure to ignore it like 90% of the time in terms of the number then. I've always just used the sidebar to see changes to what's going on anyway as I think about it...