New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Project Cards v3

Hi all 

It is with some nostalgia I am announcing version 3 of the project cards generator. It will generate an image showing the progress of your game, save it on the server and allow you to use it in siggies, eg I just made this one

1-kushi-d84fa.jpg

Version 2 was released was released on 9th November 2010http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/5874-project-cards-v2/

That means it's been more than 5 years since the last release. The last version was built in joomla and would have went down with that part of the site when I took it offline near the end of 2012. It looked a little like this (From wayback machine... and missing some images)

6d8a683e4e5a4f64fd2c9093d499b90e.png

The first theme is the first ever theme from version 1 which I managed to salvage from my laptop which contains old HDD backups. Actually I have files from 2003, but I have nothing left of version2 project cards since isaacsol's hosting of the site took us completely offline in 2013 for 2 whole weeks. 

Five years between versions... it makes me think how many times I have made these announcement topics so late at night (it's currently 1:30AM :) ). I know exactly what I was doing on 9 Nov 2010, actually. I had some massive exams, which I destroyed. Just say'in. I must have build v2 immediately after. 

Anyway, enough rambling. This thing was tricky to code. There's 3 main use cases: guests, members' new cards, members' editing cards. All of this done on a single page with a billion if-statements. The main feature of this version: saving your cards permanently. Members who generate project cards can edit them at any time. 

There's some other cool stuff. You'll see: 

http://www.gdunlimited.net/projectcards

It might be a bit slow. On my dev server it loads lightning quick. I can decrease the quality of the preview which will make it quicker. Do you think it's needed? 

Also themes are 315 x 192px, post 'em here and I'll add them. Also suggest fonts. 

Sweet! Was wondering when you were going to pick this up again. I think loads quick enough.

Can you add an x coordinate for the title so I can center mine?

Cool stuff. 

16514-lobo-a813a.jpg

This works for now until i decide if i'm making this into a full game or not. So far it's just be testing a few features and working on a beta script.

I really like this concept. It's also easy to use, which is great. I think it'd be nice to be able to change the pip colors though in some cases, since it might not be as easy to read the bars on certain backgrounds as they are.

Why don't we have these things on our websites instead of just a blue line?

...what?

I really like this concept. It's also easy to use, which is great. I think it'd be nice to be able to change the pip colors though in some cases, since it might not be as easy to read the bars on certain backgrounds as they are.

Yeah, I agree. I am thinking about making a few pip designs. 

By the way, since you asked about font ideas, quick question: Where do you get the fonts for it? It's hard to recommend fonts we use since it depends on if it's solely computer based, from a specific source, etc.

I love that we can use our own backgrounds by the way :D

...what?

I mean like you have that blue progress bar in the games section to tell the world how much complete our games are, and you could just switch that for these cards no? Or something besides the cards which gives a viewer insight into what is done on the game mostly.

I mean like you have that blue progress bar in the games section to tell the world how much complete our games are, and you could just switch that for these cards no? Or something besides the cards which gives a viewer insight into what is done on the game mostly.

Hmm that's not a bad idea. Instead of an overall bar, we could also show a breakdown. Although I'd make the categories more general. v1/2 were made for RPG Makers, so I think database and events are unusual to other engines. That's why in project cards you can change labels. So maybe

• Programming 
  • Level Design 
  • Music 
  • Graphics 
  • Storyline 

Possibly system design? 

Btw it's called a progress bar.  :P This is a blue line

4eea652a31cf800a92a7c93177914f29.png