New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Kitsuki

The longest times you've stayed awake?

I was reading up on staying up recently, thanks to some obsession I've developed with sleeplessness (which I entirely blame on my AP classes). And of course, I've heard the strange stories about auditory and visual hallucinations that come with a couple days of no sleep.

I'm interested in experimenting with myself on sleeplessness over the summer holidays. The longest a person has stayed awake, according to Google, is 264.4 hours. 11 days and 24 minutes of sleeplessness. 

Anyway, I'm like "dang, I want to beat that". So what I plan to do with part of my summer is set aside a two-week period for screwing around with my sleep schedule and pushing past those 11 days and 24 minutes. I think I'll record video logs every two hours during those time periods starting after the 24 hour mark--keeping track of my time spent awake and what symptons I experience after a certain amount of time.

Now, my question for you guys: What's the longest you've ever stayed awake?

And what symptoms did you experience? Got any halluciation stories you wanna share?

My personal record is 36 hours. That's when I started tipping over while standing in one place for too long. P:

Lemme know your stories! I've become fascinated with sleeplessness, so I need to research and plan this summer thing to get it out of my system. TToTT

~Kitsuki

my record is about 33ish hours. I felt tired the entire time, zoned out alot, i was slow at doing things like taking 5min sometimes just to click on a link i knew i wanted to click on. Right around the 33 hour mark i closed my eyes for a sec to rest them and BAM i was asleep and woke up 5 hours later. Felt like an entire sec went by from the time i went to sleep and woke up.

I can plan ahead my sleep habits, and use my knowledge of my mind to a bit of advantage. I have a few tricks to staying awake that can help me accomplish the goal. I have no problem staying awake for over 64 hours, but it requires me to always be busy, have no source of sound, not be in a comfortable place, have 3L of Pop/Soda whatev, and to be alone. The longest I've gone using this method was on a huge HTML project I had to code a multiple pathway story for a cool 140% on my final exam project. That was 65 hours of no sleep, though I failed when I decided to lay down in my bed, and I instantly hit paradise, and went to a coma for 8 hours.

The longest i've ever stayed awake was 50 hours.  When i was in college, i had a long paper I had to write for a class that i waited until the last minute to do.  I somehow managed to write 20 pages in that time, hand it in to my professor on time and still failed.   How you might ask?  I had two papers to write, one i got done the day before, and both were due on the same day.  I handed in the wrong paper to the wrong class.  So I failed two classes.  I was so upset, i went to bed in my dorm at 1pm that afternoon, and didn't wake up again until 9am the next day.  

My roommate at the time was a bit of a jerk, so when i wasn't moving the next morning, i woke up to him shouting across the halls "hey guess who finally died in here?"  to which i suddenly woke up and punched him in the back of the head and stating, "Do i look dead to you jackass?"  

I ended up failing out of college as a result of that mistake, the guy i punched out ended up in jail, and now i'm an outcast in my family for being the only one not to have a college degree.  

Well that was way more than i wanted to say, but there it is.

I've been awake for 48  (Probably even more) hours once. I couldn't sleep because i had to care for a relative in the hospital. It was the longest 48 hours of my life. I couldn't sleep because the couch was too uncomfortable. Trying to nap was hard for some reason. When i finally got home I slept for 12 hours but i felt that i wanted to sleep more. You know you haven't slept well when you're getting hallucinations? Yeah i started hallucinating food and sun-light.

I don't understand hallucinations, I have never seen a hallucination in my life while awake. The only time supernatural things happen in my life is when I'm dreaming, and I have a scene in the dream that ends up becoming reality, which has happened quite a bit to me. Can someone explain what it was like during a hallucination because I really don't understand?

24 hours solid.Until I fell asleep in the car while ordering at McDonald's drive-thru.

That sounds like it went well.