New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Kitsuki

Is it possible to open menu anytime?

Question

I'm interested in if there's a way to get the menu to open anytime in an RMXP game, whether or not messages are being displayed on screen. I've been using the engine for ages, and this is the one thing I've been wondering ever since I started using it. It seems annoying that you're unable to do that... or would a function to open the menu at the same time as a message somehow screw up the system?

If there is no way currently, can someone direct me to the parts in the script editor that might have something to do with menu access? So I can toy around with it :)

Thanks for any help in advance!

~Kitsuki

6 answers to this question

It should be able to do it, you just have to enable the menu to open when a message box is open. not sure where. If i remember correctly your message window would be over top the menu windows. 

You would have to disable the part in, I think... scene_map where it says to not allow the player to open the menu when an event is running.
You should fine these lines in the Scene_Map script. (line 122 - 131)
L8tFocy.png

try replacing them with this:

# If B button was pressed
    if Input.trigger?(Input::B)
      # If event is running, or menu is not forbidden
      unless $game_system.menu_disabled
        # Set menu calling flag or beep flag
        $game_temp.menu_calling = true
        $game_temp.menu_beep = true
      end
    end

Make sure to backup Scene_Menu first. Good luck with whatever you're trying to do, I make no guarantee this will work perfectly lol. It was disabled for a reason.

Although...this may remove the message and just allow the player to enter the menu and may screw up the event. I haven't tested it at all. I'll see if I can find something that would keep the message on screen if you want.

Thanks, Bob! This was exactly what I was looking for.

Although...this may remove the message and just allow the player to enter the menu and may screw up the event. I haven't tested it at all. I'll see if I can find something that would keep the message on screen if you want.

I'll test it when I get home, but I thought that might be the reason it was disabled... Not sure though, I'll see later if it does anything screwy.

That would be ideal if the message were still on screen when the player exits the menu! I'm not sure if something like that exists, though D:

Thanks, Bob! 

Whoops, I know double-posting is taboo, but I can't think of any other way to let people know that it didn't work. P: I may pick through the script for a while more, but your snippet of code didn't work, Bob.

I'm pretty sure it's not my other scripts either, because I tried it in a new project as well, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Well I'm out of ideas. My scripting knowledge is...lacking.

Ah, well. Thanks anyway, Bob! :)