New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Polraudio

Weekend Game Jam

Alright since a few people seem interested in a game jam and im interested in one also how about we just go ahead and do one this weekend starting Friday and ending midnight on Sunday?

Dates are subject to change depending if its a bad time or not.

Dates currently on hold...

If you wish to enter the contest and are able to make it on the 16th through the 18th please let me know so i can add you to the list.

List of people entered:

-black mage

Table Of Contents:

-Information

-Judging

-When to start

-Rules

-Rewards

-Other Info

All projects must be submitted to me Sunday by midnight so I can make the judging topic. Any later and it wont be accepted.

Information:

Games made during game jam can be a game of any type and made in any game engine of your choosing. The reason for this is to give people complete creative freedom to make whatever they want so they are not sitting there forever trying to find out how to make a certain type of game.

Judging:

Judging will be done by the community its self and all scores will be averaged up for the final score. I will make a final judging topic when we are done with the contest.

When you judge something give it a final score out of 10. Now some games wont have a story so you will have to judge them accordingly.

These are some of the categories you can use to judge. You dont have to show these in your final judging post if you dont want to.

Story, Gameplay, Graphics, Audio, Misc.

Example of a story game:

Title: Timmy's Tiny Tidventure

Final Score: 9.25/10

Story: 9/10

Timmy's Tiny Tidventure had an awesome story... bla bla bla bla.

Gameplay: 10/10

The way you handle Timmy on his tidventure was awesome. There was just the right amount of grinding... bla bla bla bla

Graphics: 8/10

All the graphics were good. Sure they used the RPG Maker RTP graphics but the RTP graphics are not bad at all. They also edited some of the tilesets so that gave them 2 extra points.

Sound: 10/10

Every song and every sound effect was perfect. I loved the sound timmy made when you walked and ran. The song in the end was killer and perfect for the sad ending.

~Review over. As you noticed i didn't include Misc since it was a story based game.

Example of a non story arcade type game:

Title: Carl's Candy Collectargg Maties of the Candy Sea Part 1: The Candy Collector Pirates

Final Score: 9/10

Gameplay: 10/10

Collecting all the candy was very fun as there is many many types of candy to collect and lots of danger doing so. Whenever you collect a rotten piece of candy it will infect a few of your candies so you need to send pirates down to test the candy with the candyinator 5001. Best part of all was the timed levels. Each level gave me a candy rush. Battling other candy ships was fun. I mixed a fire candy with a boom pop to make candy fire grenades to blow the enemy's ships up. Got to love the candy fusion you can do.

Graphics: 6/10

The graphics went the greatest since they did use unity and had to make all the graphics themselves.

Sound: 10/10

This game is all around silly and they did an awesome job with the sounds since every sound effect was made to be very silly for this silly game. The pirate music with a candy mix was PERFECT for everything.

Misc: 10/10

This game didn't have a story so ill judge other parts of the game that i found to be good. The game had an awesome level selector. You drive your pirate ship across the sea and land on objects like ships, islands and spots on the ocean. The game had 30 levels that were all hand crafted to look awesome and play out getting progressively harder. The difficulty curve of the game was perfect, it wasn't to hard or to easy and slowly got harder along the way.

~Review over. As you noticed i didn't include Story since it wasn't a story based game.

When to Start:

Since people are in school on Friday i will start the contest a little later in the day when those people get off. The earliest the contest will start will be 5pm Central US time.

Click here for the current Central time.

Rules:

The rules are very simple. Make whatever type of game you want with any engine. You can use any resources that come with that engine or any resources you find.

Most of all you are allowed to start working on graphics, audio, story and 3d models right now if you want to. But ONLY those 3 things. You are not allowed to even make the project yet. Note: Scripts are not allowed to be made prior to start date.

TEAMS: You are allowed to work with a team of people but keep in mind that theres only enough prizes at the moment for 1 person so you will have to fight over who gets it. Im going to allow only a max of 3 people per team and team member names must be submitted to me when you submit your project if you are working with other team members.

Rewards:

I only have 1 reward to give so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318430/

If someone wishes to provide a reward for the game jam please PM me or contact me on steam.

Other Info:

If you wish to be notified exactly when the contest starts please join our steam group so you can get the event popup.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gamedevunlimited

I will be streaming the entire time im working on my project during the game jam. If you wish to watch me head on over here and follow or just wait till the contest starts. http://www.twitch.tv/polraudio

Ugh.  well unfortunutly i won't be able to participate.  But i would like to judge.  I remember trying to do a variation on this but making it a month long.  I actually tried that on my own one time.  Not very good results.  

We'll see if i can. All depends on if i can get the free time and if my gf will kill me for working on this for 2 days lol

*shakes head*

Pol, you sneaky son of a gun. 

On Sunday I have SAT practice testing all day long. I may or may not participate in this. ;)

We could do it next weekend if no one can do it this weekend. Will have to be on a weekend since people have school.

BTW, if anyone is interested in my latest project, I have put a project topic in the early in development forum.  Please critique my maps i put in.  Mapping I don't think is my strongest suit, so any help to improve them, will be greatly appreciated.

I might be able to make something then.  I can't take off work that weekend, but I might be able to squeeze in something.  Question: if we are using paid dlc, can we purchase that ahead of time, or do we have to wait for the start time of the contest to do so?  

Specifically, I think I'll be using these packs off of steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/229750/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1 (futuristic tiles) (I already own this, i'm using it in my current project)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297645/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1 (futuristic hero sprites and BGM)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/332290/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1 (more futuristic music)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/332291/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1 (futuristic sound effects)

Clearly, my game idea will be sci-fi based, since I'm a fan of science fiction.  since your running this Pol, I want to make sure before I buy these.

Also, if our game will have a story, can we start it ahead of time (my current project has three parts to it, and one part is a prequel which i almost think, i might be disqualified considering i started the story some 5 years ago.)  I just want to know if it's ok, that i've already started writing the story, since i was going to build it anyway.

I'll try to answer regarding the DLC. If we're allowed to use DLC, of course we can purchase that ahead of time. For example, let's say that I might already buy any available DLC years ago, and suddenly this constest appeared. It'd be ridiculous if I had to buy again DLC's that I already have years ago.

About the story, I'm waiting for Pol's answer since I'm curious too.

Also, can we enter the contest as a team? From the name (JAM) it suggest us to band together and create some game, but there's no rules about teaming. I just want to make it clear. ;)

I might be able to make something then.  I can't take off work that weekend, but I might be able to squeeze in something.  Question: if we are using paid dlc, can we purchase that ahead of time, or do we have to wait for the start time of the contest to do so?  

Specifically, I think I'll be using these packs off of steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/229750/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1 (futuristic tiles) (I already own this, i'm using it in my current project)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297645/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1 (futuristic hero sprites and BGM)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/332290/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1 (more futuristic music)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/332291/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1 (futuristic sound effects)

Clearly, my game idea will be sci-fi based, since I'm a fan of science fiction.  since your running this Pol, I want to make sure before I buy these.

Also, if our game will have a story, can we start it ahead of time (my current project has three parts to it, and one part is a prequel which i almost think, i might be disqualified considering i started the story some 5 years ago.)  I just want to know if it's ok, that i've already started writing the story, since i was going to build it anyway.

Yes you can work on a story now so you have sort of an idea when you get to jamming xd. I already know what game im going to do.

I'll try to answer regarding the DLC. If we're allowed to use DLC, of course we can purchase that ahead of time. For example, let's say that I might already buy any available DLC years ago, and suddenly this constest appeared. It'd be ridiculous if I had to buy again DLC's that I already have years ago.

About the story, I'm waiting for Pol's answer since I'm curious too.

Also, can we enter the contest as a team? From the name (JAM) it suggest us to band together and create some game, but there's no rules about teaming. I just want to make it clear. ;)

You can enter the contest as a team but keep in mind that right now there's only 1 prize so you will have to fight over who gets it. And the prize is on steam so steam is required to receive it. I should prob add this info to the main post.

Ill update the topic here to allow teams and to allow you to work on your story ahead of time. Basically you can work on anything that doesnt involve using the actual engine. Scripting is not allowed to be worked on either since if you were using unity or something you could "complete" the game before the contest even started. 90% of my game is going to be code and it would completely be unfair if i could code before the game even starts to get built.

I know how long it takes to build a game and it would be very hard for people to make all the graphics, sounds, models and story during the contest.

EDIT: Updated main post.

just curious cause you have a rule saying scripts cannot be made prior to the start of the contest but what if you're using preexisting scripts?

just curious cause you have a rule saying scripts cannot be made prior to the start of the contest but what if you're using preexisting scripts?

This rule mostly applies to unity and other game engines since 90% of most games in unity are scripts where 90% of the game for RPG maker is made without ever touching a script at all.

Graphics, audio, models and sound are alot harder to pull off and make a game than it is to actually build the game.

You can use existing scripts. But cannot get them, config them, or make them till the start date.

This rule mostly applies to unity and other game engines since 90% of most games in unity are scripts where 90% of the game for RPG maker is made without ever touching a script at all.

Graphics, audio, models and sound are alot harder to pull off and make a game than it is to actually build the game.

You can use existing scripts. But cannot get them, config them, or make them till the start date.

I guess that makes sence. good to know.

if it was the next weekend i'd totally be in, as it is i have 2 birthday parties for my son now this weekend, so I'll not have the time for it.

Not enough people so i guess not. and i cant do it anymore either since i just got a job at walmart :(. sucks being a grownup lol.

Not enough people so i guess not. and i cant do it anymore either since i just got a job at walmart :(. sucks being a grownup lol.

yep, sure does some times. maybe we can try for next weekend or the weekend after?

Aww... I had started at 3:00 PST all ready-to-go...

Screw it, I'm gonna make a mini game anyways. 

I'll join you, flytrap. Got some stuff to work until November, so maybe I can't participate until next month. :annoyed:

Edited by black mage

Maybe we can just do a month game jam instead of a weekend? It will give everyone plenty of time to work on a game. It would be great for me since i never have 2 days off in a row. I dont really want it to feel like a competition as its more made to let people see what they can do in a given amount of time and put skills to the test to crank something out. I start many projects and dont really finish them...so some sort of time limit for making a game will actually make me finish something lol.

EDIT: If i end up winning, any prize i put up will go to 2nd place. If we do the month game jam i may actually have some extra stuff i can give people since ill be getting paid 2 times within that period.

Call me crazy, but what if like.... peps set their own deadlines and then do like a week jam and have to submit when they say they will. If other people can't do that week, then they can choose a time in the near future that suits them, then judging occurs once all submissions are gathered. 

Call me crazy, but what if like.... peps set their own deadlines and then do like a week jam and have to submit when they say they will. If other people can't do that week, then they can choose a time in the near future that suits them, then judging occurs once all submissions are gathered. 

If I'm not mistaken, RMRK is using a system similar to this, and they still do. I think it's a good idea.

I like a little sense of competition, but I do understand that people have social and fiscal responsibilities...

I can agree to a November month game jam. I'll even try and find something to offer everyone like Polraudio.