New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Meteor Rain

Feedback on sprite/map?

Hey, so I've just made a new map through photoshop. It's my first time making a map like this so I require some feedback on this ^^

2iivdig.png

There are mainly two things I want to know:

1. Does the sprite kinda fit the map? I tried many sort of sprites but I eventually fell back on using the RTP enlarged a lot + some black outlinings. Anything I could do to improve?

2. Notice the shadow of the tree on the building. I know that normally this shadow would be kinda distorted because it switches from ground to building. How would I go about displaying this distortion? Anyone an idea?

oh Wow it's so beautiful! Though the sprite looks kinda out of place and strange...I'd suggest you to use Loose Leaf generator to make better-looking sprites! Try this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-jLv4bIHKDWVJxa05LNDB4aFE/view?usp=sharing

And the shadow looks fine imo. The map is very nice!

Thank you for the generator and file name! This is what it ended up looking like. Which one do you think is better? ( I have a bad eye for stuff like this :< )

2edqsmw.png

I think objectively looking all of the RPG maker sprites will not blend in too well as they are not really meant for this kind of map. There's something off about them, I wish it as just pin-pointable what exactly it is :(

@Omar thank you^^. I got really lucky to get that tint right in one try lol. Nothing else I tried looked quite as fine.

Edited by Meteor Rain

I think Omar and Zahraa speak for some things, it is undeniably beautiful, but there are two things I would change to make it even better, the first is about your sprite that you are using, and the second is about some of the shadowing, which isn't as major.

1. The sprite you used in the first one looked very chunky, which didn't match with the rest of the scene in terms of graphics, but you fixed it almost in the second scene, but you changed the colour of his armour along with the graphic improvement. I don't feel like a bright red would match the scene, and your game does look quite realistic, just bright red does not seem like a possible armour colour, and it sticks out like a zebra in the middle of a grassy field. But I do like the hair of the character, it looks like it could match the art style you are using with the scene you are at.

2. The shadowing is great, but I would suggest a few improvements. Around the fence area, where the trees shadow on the fence, it is not as dark as it should be, this also includes the lamppost which also isn't shadowed as it should be. Other than that, the shadow detail is spot on, and looks great.

Other than that, I have this huge complaint about how amazing it does look.

fabulous-28418.png

Thank you for pointing out the lamp shadow! I did not notice that myself, it is indeed wrong. Character credit to Zahraa as he gave it to me haha. I'll try to make one without armor in the generator

This is what I came up with

and, what does this one look like?

xq0l4.png

Also, how'd you get orange hair Zahraa :O

Try not to use such bright cartoony looking colors for the sprite, it doesnt fit your near realistic style of map.

Map looks good but the sprite doesnt fit.

If I were to make a suggestion, use a juniper, moss, or crocodile green against a russet, copper, or raw umber brown for clothing, it's basic. Other combinations include a chestnut or ochre brown against a cobalt or sapphire blue, or a butterscotch or honey or butter yellow against the same blues. It's mostly just looking at a spectrum of colours, then looking at clothes that suit what you need, this website has good examples http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-146-clothing.aspx that you can look at to get a good idea of how the colours should be set up. When spriting a character, you want your character to match the environment in the best way possible, while also standing out amongst the rest. If you were to look at the protagonists from all of the Final Fantasy games, they manage to usually do it very well. My best example of clothing that matches the environment with the main protagonists standing out is Final Fantasy 12, with 6, 7, 10, and 4 being quite close.ff12-28418.jpgjust look at the characters in this photo to the rest of the game, and see how it balances out the colours to the environment and people around the player inside the game. Hope this helps to get a look on that character to one that suits your game.

That's a beautiful map! I love it <3 It looks extremely detailed, nice!

The only complaint I would have is with the character. He seems a bit saturated and simplistic compared to the map--just look at the texture and fine detail on that grass, holy cow! Other than that I have nothing to say. Awesome work >u<

Haha yes the more I look at it the more weird it starts to look. Guess I gotta pick up pixel art quickly somehow lol because I don't think there's any generator/charset out there which will truly fit it.

Edited by Meteor Rain

Your map looks fantastic! It is very colorful and highlights the game's quality graphics. It's one of the best maps that I have seen in a while.