New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Game section discussions

Since its inception I have been thinking about how to incorporate discussions into the games section. The comments are just as if the games were topics... it's a single conversation, which doesn't really fit. 

I am thinking instead of removing the comments entirely and replacing them with a type of simple forum for each game page. The categories would most likely be fixed and include News & Updates, Bug report, feedback & critque, reviews, support. Something along those lines. 

It's a way to keep the discussion going in a way that comments don't facilitate. It will open new doors for developers to seek feedback and grow their fan base.

Thoughts?  

Something like that sounds pretty good. Or a reply system or something, since we have to comment on our own games to reply to anyone who writes something in the comment section.

I like "Feedback and critique" than "comments". Better connotation, for sure. I'm starting to associate the latter with one-liners that are something like "lol!!!1!! kewl story bruh". I think it's because of that kind of attitude on Youtube and deviantART regarding comments, especially the former. Even deviantART has a separate category for "Critique" aside from its comments, so even just changing the name to something like "Feedback" might make a different impression for users who are considering leaving some form of feedback. ;)

Reviews should probably be a different section from the things I mentioned above, so I like all your ideas.  :thumbsup: If you're planning to carry them out, then good luck!

Man, there sure needs to be more appreciation for your work on this site, Mark. Good work, carry on!

Man, there sure needs to be more appreciation for your work on this site, Mark. Good work, carry on!

Agreed, and yes I personally think its a great ideal, i also think that it would make the game pages look a bit more professional, which IMO , is a good thing , if the page looks and feel professional, then people will start to treat the game pages more like they should be treated, and not like i see on other sites ,with one or two line descriptions, little or no story-line, and standard RTP stuff, I know that it wont stop people from doing that , but if the page feels more legit, then maybe people will treat it that way ?

Good idea! I also suggest that you should remove blogs or reimagine them into something more useful as well. Maybe you could make it into a sub-forum for the game or something like that. You know when a developer starts their game here on GDU and uses the topic to create sub-topics of some sort, such as:

Topic: Game 1 in development.

--Sub-Topic: Game 1 updates--

Subtopics List:

Sub-Topic: Game 1 Pre-Alpha testing

Sub-Topic: Game 1 Pre-Alpha Fixes and features

Sub-Topic: Release

etc, etc.

I'm just suggesting an opinion, i love how blogs are implemented here.