New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
James Anthony Hyatt

So what is your favorite sprite type??

Preferred Sprite type  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sprite is your favorite type...Chibi or XP/Mack

Greetings, 

Well i am trying to decide which sprite type i want to use in my project, and personally i am leaning towards XP/Mack styled sprites, but what do you all think, what is your favorite type and why ? 

here the reasoning for my thoughts: 

Chibi-tons of them around along with lots of generators,works with ACE RTP quite well.but lack level of detail that i like to see.

XP/Mack-not as many around as Chibis, but still a fair number of them,there is even a few generators around i think, but you have to map differently ,use different doors and such or it just looks weird( using the editor for mapping that is )

-James

Personally i like the XP style because you can put more details into them and they overall look better and more professional. Chibi sprites are to small and are kind of meh, childish, to short to make it look good with anything, and you cannot put to much into it because of its small size. With chibi you cant do cool stuff like this without it looking odd. UIWMu1f.png

Imo

chibi = lazy people

xp style = non lazy people

Sure its easier to do chibi but wouldnt you rather do xp style and get an overall better looking game.

@Polraudio

I agree , which is why i was leaning towards the XP/Mack sprites, you can do so much more with them ,plus the level of detail is amazing compared to the chibi.

Im actually looking around to see ifi can find a XP/Mack generator so i can make the ones i need, if i cant find one ill have to take a template and make em ,lol but yeah ill probably use them since they do look that much better.

-James

Personally i like the XP style because you can put more details into them and they overall look better and more professional. Chibi sprites are to small and are kind of meh, childish, to short to make it look good with anything, and you cannot put to much into it because of its small size. With chibi you cant do cool stuff like this without it looking odd. UIWMu1f.png

Imo

chibi = lazy people

xp style = non lazy people

Sure its easier to do chibi but wouldnt you rather do xp style and get an overall better looking game.

Well, I wouldn't say that Chibi sprites are terrible and for lazy people. I don't think that the 32x32 work space you get is too little, I feel like my sprites are just the right size. I don't think I could ever use an XP style, I don't like how most of them look like stiff wax figures, much like in that picture. The XP sprites may be proportionate to actual humans, but whenever I look at one, it just seems off to be looking at, Kinda like they are too large to the environment. What I also don't like about the XP style is that because you have more height to work with, you have less space to work with at width, making all characters look thin. Overall, I just don't like the sprites used in XP, and I don't think that I would ever use them in a game, even though they may be more life like.

Now I do disagree a lot with a lot of things said up there, they are not too small, you can still deliver on emotions and actions, just like the XP, except there is far more space on the face, and room for detail. Not just a circle with good shading detail, and eyes that are too low on the face, which is XP mostly. To call them childish is partially true, while they may be a bit more cuter than your XP sprites, people will always enjoy the chibi style, and it is far more diverse to include a model that has this creative look to it. Models that look more mature and serious are fine, they just don't look good in every game, like if your game is about war or is a horror game, XP would be a better option, but if your world is colourful and full of good emotions, I would rather like to see the Chibi art style. And "wouldnt you rather do xp style and get an overall better looking game." ... Well that kinda escalated to the point where a game's look is based around the character models and not the trees and the sky and the buildings and the other weird space stuff. On the other hand, chibis are fun to work with! You can actually do a lot with them despite of what you said, I have not been lazy with any of my character models, and I've been able to create emotion chibis for my characters. Here is an example:

f71character-expressions-28418.png

Well say what you will, but I prefer chibi sprites over XP sprites. I don't think that either one is used better than the other, but certainly neither is just easy to use. Both can be done well, both can be screwed up completely, it just depends on the person who is making the sprites. Ardi out.

... Well that kinda escalated to the point where a game's look is based around the character models and not the trees and the sky and the buildings and the other weird space stuff. 

the thing is , from my point of view , the game should be built around the sprite style your going to use , mainly because building a standard map and then using the XP/Mack sprites ,would really make it look weird when your doors/trees/windows/ect ect are built for chibi, at least to my way of thinking , I do tend to agree that each type has its uses , but i honestly think the XP/Mack Sprites look better overall as well.I mean , some of the more complicated battle systems out there , wouldn't look right if you used Chibi, there are quit a few that only look right using sprites based off of the XP/Mack style .But over all i would say , that the choice of which to use and how to use them are up to the designer of what ever game, i mean i used chibi over world sprites for my pokemon game that i have on standby, and they looked fine , in that world the other style of sprites would look out of place.but for my current project i think that XP/M ack sprites would look way better than the Chibi style

In terms of using sprites for your game, before you start, make sure you can easily obtain all of the sprites you're going to need and any matching graphics (ie battler graphics, facesets) that you're going to need. 

If I was going to start another game, I would find the best matching set of sprites/batters/facesets that fit my game, knowing that I don't require the time or skill to create my own from scratch. 

Therefore you probably don't have a great choice on style. 

If you're going to have main characters with dialogue in a text window (chances are you are) then I highly recommend using facesets with expressions. So this should be a factor. 

Definitely XP for me. I've personally never seen the appeal of Ace's characters. I don't particularly like the VX or Ace RTP either, which may factor in to my dislike. The mapping system is a definite no for me--everything looks so square and linear. I know RM is supposed to be linear in the first place, but at least XP's nature tilesets had some nice shape and forms to it. VX and Ace's tiles and characters are just too short and stumpy and it rubs me the wrong way.

Though, I have enjoyed games that use VX or Ace... but all of them were built on good characters and stories, as well as having interesting maps with beautiful atmosphere. So be sure you've got those things tightened down. ;) But overall I've enjoyed XP games much more, with their taller characters and nice(r?) graphics.

That being said. Don't mix too much of XP and VX/Ace, or don't mix it at all. Keep art style constant and such, and make sure the things you need are attainable, either already available or to be custom-made for you.

Nothing like starting a game and finding out that you can't do it because of lack of resources. :P

Nothing like starting a game and finding out that you can't do it because of lack of resources. :P

So very true, And as far as i can tell, the only really issue im going to have is building the main characters Sprite, it shouldnt be too hard , i mean i am not a total noob at sprite work , im just not really that good at it , so ill end up taking my time and seeing how it turns out ,as it is right now , the characters image isnt quite set into stone , so i can still change it if i have to, lol 

As for mixing the two engines , i wish they would actually mix them, Ace's scripting and data-basing ,with XP's Sprites and mapping , that would be epic  IMO. but i think i have made my choice , XP/Mack sprites with parallax mapping , that way i can change the hgts of everything i need to so they fit the sprites, with out having to figure out the right measurements in the engine its self:).

Wow, I'm the only one on this forum pretty much that prefers the VX Ace over XP... That strikes me as odd.