New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Kitsuki

Getting back into drawing! [Kitsuki's Log]

Wow, there are so many drawings/art journals, logs, records in this part of the forum... ;w; so I decided to make my own! It's finals week and I have my last set of very important finals tomorrow, so I decided to go for it. (Instead of studying for physics... what intelligent life decisions I make.) And why not share it with the forum too :>

I've recently joined the Outlast fandom--a little late, but oh well. And I'm still a big fan of the Kagerou Project, a series of Vocaloid songs with some awesome PVs to go with them! Lately I've been watching Outer Science's PV (link here if you want to watch it:

).

So I decided, why not do a project that includes both? An Outer Science x Outlast crossover PV! Despite having tried to make one of my own videos in this style before and failing, I'm determined to try my hardest this time. So I dug out my old Wacom MTE-450 and set right on it!

The first step was to sketch most of the scenes, make a sort of storboard. I started a vague sketch with the very first scene:

opening-scene-27952.png

I finished it where I can flesh out some detail later, quickly lost interest, and moved on to the next scene that got my attention.

miles-test-27952.png

That one gave me a lot of trouble with the hair, actually. So I made it a fast sketch and resolved to move back when I finish the sketches (which for me will probably be never XD). Moving on to the next! I started to work with some clearer sketches of people, which I try to avoid drawing because I suck at anatomy.

waylon-parks-27952.png

I asked for permission to use the design of mellowmonsters.tumblr.com and got permission. :) Both the faces are the same person, just a "before-and-after" sort of effect. After that, I kind of went overboard with this sketch, bringing it into its second stage and even adding colour. Definitely not part of the plan, but I like how I think it's going to look at the end.

I went on to nearly finish the second stage sketch for this guy:

wtf-27952.png

The fingers either look really ugly or have no fingers at all, just placement for the hand. XD I'll work on it eventually. That's supposed to be a falling computer, which I suppose it'll be at some point when I gather the courage to work on it.

So on to the next scene that I really wanted to work on!

812the-bride-and-the-grrom-27952.png

I was actually proud of that. It only took me half an hour for this one, since the desire to work on it was strong! I liked how the lines were turning out, and the colour as well--the character in the dress (that's not a girl btw... his name is Waylon Park, same character in the last image) is in his second stage of sketching, the one in the vest was in his first. 

But then my program just had to go and crash on me ;n; I lost pretty much everything--all the progress I did on the previous drawing and this one. At least I'd saved the screenshots so I could redraw them from those. I managed to redraw Waylon, but I'm not sure how much better he is for it?

the-bride-27952.png

I forgot his stubble... and I'm still trying to avoid drawing hands. I just realised now, I placed the ring on the wrong finger! DX It's supposed to be the left hand's ring finger. Oh well, will fix later.

I moved on to the next character, tired of trying to redraw Waylon and the other character in the picture, Eddie Gluskin. I wanted to draw more of the guy in the second picture I posted, Miles Upshur:

dat-face-tho-27952.png

(On the right and the left side are refs, not actual drawings by me. They're from upsure.tumblr.com, from whom I'll ask for permission to use their character design for the PV. :)

Oh my god that hair though. Miles Upshur's hair makes me very emotional. Not to mention that FACE. :< I'll be fixing him up soon. But anyway, that's what I accomplished in the three days before this, I think. Not sure how long I spent working on it.

UPDATED 04-6-2015

Piano recital tomorrow... I'm nervous, so I needed some down time. Finally got back to working on this thing!

eddie-and-waylon-resketch-27952.png

Damn, I do love Eddie. Drawing him makes me feel uncertain, I wish I could make him look better.  :dizzy:

Here are a couple GIFs of what I've got so far for the PV, editing in Sony Vegas! Remember these are just sketches to piece it together

before I create the final product of each drawing :D

283n-a-27952.gif

n-a-27952.gif

All the work for both these GIFs was done by me ;n; I didn't expect to take so much time editing and adjusting everything. But gee, I think it'll be worth it in the end! 

=================================

UPDATED 14-1-2016

YO, IT'S BEEN A WHILE. I noticed that I haven't been on the forums for a long while and that I haven't updated my games and a ton of other things--this log included. And I've been drawing a lot recently, so I thought I should finally brush up on this log!

So I got a new tablet recently, which boosted my confidence a ton. I've been practicing quite a bit with it recently. Have some of my sketches and drawings, most of them from my new fangame with GermanyXItaly1000:

Here's a concept I started drawing for a character (name is Zhao Huai, he's an excellent but shady businessman living in a dystopian wasteland) when I first got the tablet:

screenshot-2016-02-14-05-23-23-27952.png

I had no pen pressure at the time because I couldn't figure out how to install the tablet drivers. Eventually I went "BAH" and just gave up.

BUT when I got the driver finally installed, I started drawing another concept, for a dude named Oliver Compton. From the same game as Zhao Huai, he's also a pretty shady guy who's basically the lord of his realm. Simple explanation for an actually complicated guy, but yeah. 

screenshot-2016-02-14-05-17-22-27952.png

Taking a break from Hetalia fangame stuff, I went and doodled a Valentine for my teachers and friends. Who better to express their love than King George III from Hamilton?

img-20160213-155646-27952.jpg

No, seriously. Listen to this guy's songs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbGUEoe8R8LutboJUpUtLx7y0VcqdTF0. He makes the American colonies trying to gain independence from Britain sound like a break up. It's amazing.

So thanks to my obsession with Hamilton and just King George and his songs, I made a whole bunch of these and gave them to various friends and teachers on Friday. Each one had messages like: 
"You'll be back!"
"Remember... I'm your man!"
"I'll send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love!"
"Remember... you belong to me!"

... and other variations. This is the only one I didn't give out because "Awesome! Wow!" doesn't have so much of a Valentine's Day feel as a "Hi, this is a mockery of your holiday" feel. I considered linearting this and then posting it as a "hey, feel free to use this valentine" thing but laziness won me out, as always.

(the colouring is so ugly but this was like the 10th one I coloured by hand and I was just like "HA" no effort anymore)

And also, I recently offered to make busts graphics for a game that a friend of mine is making. So I broke out my tablet, meaning to find a good way to lineart. Because I can't lineart--have you seen my earlier posts? I ended up finding a really nice brush and settings for it, anyway.

And then I doodled Jason, a character from Germany's and my game, to get a hang of it. Then things just got out of control--I wanted to draw a full picture of him, then I wanted to ANIMATE him and this happened:

animation-27952.gif

If you can't tell, he's being strangled. ouo By Oliver, actually. Well, not strangled, Oliver's just being an asshole, grabbed his collar, and is probably about to wreck him by throwing him into a wall or something. Through a wall actually. Since Oliver's got the strength of a demon and doesn't know how to put that to good use.

The gif is pretty sketchy, so I might make a finalised, more animated version soon. I kind of want to actually draw Jason being thrown through the wall. That would be pretty amazing, but I doubt I have the skills to draw all that. eue

Anywho! Next update will probably be soon. Thanks for reading!

UPDATED 15-05-2015

Started another PV/animated project based on a song called "Ai no Scenario" for my new game's characters. Have a GIF.

ans-jie-jason-27952.gif

I'm pretty proud that it didn't take me too long to sketch these. I did the guy with the parasol first to practice, which took about half an hour. The second guy (sitting on the ground) took only 20 min, and he looks much, much better.

I'll be redoing the lineart on guy #1 soon and animating more of the project. 

(It stutters a few frames near the end bc my computer is hella laggy. :P It wouldn't play properly while I was recording the GIF.)

I will be posting more of my progress soon! Until then!

Edited by Kitsuki

Muahaha VOCALOIDS!!  well something to do with that :3 I wish you luck with finishing all of these :3, just for my ease of mind, why do you only draw only one eye :P None the less all of these are really good, better than me :P

back into my vocaloid corner i go :P

Nice work! Keep it up!

Thanks, zahraa! :D Now I can work on it more thanks to finals being finally over! I'm so happy right now  :excited:

Muahaha VOCALOIDS!!  well something to do with that :3 I wish you luck with finishing all of these :3, just for my ease of mind, why do you only draw only one eye :P None the less all of these are really good, better than me :P

back into my vocaloid corner i go :P

Kagerou Project ftw! And I'm really bad at drawing eyes so that they look nice and symmetrical, sometimes one eye ends up way higher than the other, or bigger  :oops: ... so for my own ease of mind I leave one eye until I finish the rest, then draw the other one in.

Your improvement is amazing though, love the latest thing I saw from you ;D Let's both continue to improve!

got any extra room in that vocaloid corner? we can have a pArty lol

Updating this thread finally! AS OF 04-6-2015.

(this will also be included in the main post)

Piano recital tomorrow... I'm nervous, so I needed some down time. Finally got back to working on this thing!

eddie-and-waylon-resketch-27952.png

Damn, I do love Eddie. Drawing him makes me feel uncertain, I wish I could make him look better.  :dizzy:

Here are a couple GIFs of what I've got so far for the PV, editing in Sony Vegas! Remember these are just sketches to piece it together 

before I create the final product of each drawing :D

283n-a-27952.gif

n-a-27952.gif

All the work for both these GIFs was done by me ;n; I didn't expect to take so much time editing and adjusting everything. But gee, I think it'll be worth it in the end! 

Updating post! 14 February 2016.

Been a long time, but I added two or three new drawings into the main post. Have a looksie! I think I've improved a ton, actually. Then again, it's been months--if I didn't improve, I'd probably be doomed to bad drawings forever lol.