New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Your Computer Specs

Yo guys, I'm really starting to get into this rig building deal. Oddly enough, despite working as a web developer since 2011, I never really had an interest in hardware. Of course you don't need performance to create websites, that's for sure, but usually they have interests in these sorts of things.

So I've decided to build a computer over a certain period of time, on a certain budget. My goal is to get the most performance per dollar possible. We have this great auction site here, like our version of eBay and I plan to utilize it. My first part was an Asus Maximus VI Gene motherboard that has never been used, still in box, for half rrp price :) 

Anyway, back in 2012 my boss gave me a desktop to make websites on that I'm still using today. Current specs:

• 1T HDD space (not SSD x.x)
  • AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor - 3GHz, fan cooled
  • 8GB Kingston DDR3 RAM (had 16 but one chip was faulty :O)
  • Win8
  • Random Gigabyte motherboard with no USB3.0
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, 1GB vid memory 
  • Raidmax super viper case, aka productsuperviper02.png

Anyone else interested in building gaming computers or have one already? My new project isn't about playing games, although I wouldn't mind the boost to performance in my GTAV (which looks really good on the above specs anyways), just doing it as a project :)

Haii

I built my own computer, however I really didn't go completely bang for buck over. (I tried but it's really hard). Possibly the best piece of hardware that i have invested in though is an SSD (I have a Crucial MX100 256gb) Why i think its so amazing, well its like giving your computer steroids. People are too busy investing in new CPU's or GPU's that they forget that the real thing they need is speed and that lies in the disk drive. Other than that I don't have much to say :3 good luck in building the computer, its a very interesting hobby to have for a little while. 

P.S custom fan coolers hurt to install, many cuts (or maybe I'm just really clumsy)

Have Fun :3

Ya, who would run a rig without their OS on an SSD D:

I'm going to try and source a 180GB SSD for mine... btw, how much of your 256 have used up? You store other stuff on the normal HDD's right?

And ya, I'm considering water cooling the CPU and GPU :3 It all depends on what I find, since half the fun is finding the parts. 

Btw, post your specs 

I'm going to try and source a 180GB SSD for mine... btw, how much of your 256 have used up? You store other stuff on the normal HDD's right?

Btw, post your specs 

Wellll,

I literally have used up all of mine, (mainly due to all my downloads (I need to clean that so bad)) with about 10gb left. I think it may impact its performance a little. I store my games on a separate 500gb hd (should have had an 1tb one :3) which is now full XD (surprise) And lastly i have a 2tb external hdd that i use for backups and things.

I would post my pc spec's however I don't know them all. I'll Rattle off the top of my head what I remember that I have.

CPU: AMD FX8150 8 core 4ghz processor (beauty for the price)

GPU: AMD radeon r9 270x (upgrade from a friend who i built a computer for :))

Motherboard: AsRock 970 Extreme 4 (ordered a extreme 3 and got a 4 accidentally(from the sender), no complaints XD)

RAM: 8gb of ram (2x crucial (company) 4gb)

HDD: 500gb (unknown type)

SSD: 256gb Crucial MX100 (Explained before)

Operating system: Windows 8.1 (with windows 8 and 7 installed side by side in other HDD (will remove soon for space))

Many addons

Oh, AND OLD ASS CASE

I think i did a good job of remembering what I have :P Hope it helps ya mark :3 

I had this one for many years and have upgraded it slowly over the years to this.

Still able to play even new games on 98% max graphics.

My Kustom Komputer Speks:

Computer Name: ZDG MK1(ZDG = Zadune Gaming)

Case: XION Predator Gaming Series AXP 970-001BK

PSU: BFG Tech EX-1000 1000Watts

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth x58

CPU: Intel i7 950, 4 Cores with 2 threads each. So its more like an 8 core.

GPU: Sapphire HD 6950 2GB, It has never let me down once for a game and continues to amaze me with how well it keeps up with new games.

RAM: Team Dark 24GB 4GB x 6, yes a little overboard but since i like to run virtual machines and use heavy ram applications/games its perfect.

Watercooler: I forgot because a friend ordered 2 of them for us lol

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Only game i have on it is GTAV and skyrim. GTAV loads up in 20sec and skyrims loading screens are about 1sec each at most.

HDD's(type doesn't matter): 1TB 7200RPM(Games), 1.5TB 7200RPM(Documents/Downloads), 500GB 7200RPM(Misc), 500GB 5200RPM(Misc), 320GB 7200RPM(Game Dev), 1TB 7200RPM External(Backup).

Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker Ultimate

Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Special Edition

Controller: PS4 Controller for those games that just feel better with one.

Monitor: ASUS VS278Q-P Black 27" 1ms

Extra Bits: Front Panel USB x4 Thingy, Bluetooth 2.1 USB Thingy, Netgear N300 Wireless USB

Fav Programs/Most Used: Steam, Photoshop, Firefox, Unity3D, VLC

Tools: (Malwarebytes, Defraggler, Ccleaner) - Everything you could possibly ever need for cleaning your computer period. I would know cause i fixed hundreds of computers in my time and thats the only tools needed for the job besides knowing about how windows works under the hood.

Jeebus Pol, wadda beast. Mind me asking, how do you source your parts? 

Can usually check by looking at the part its self, order history where you ordered the parts(its only a truly custom PC if you ordered every part separately like me), or by using https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Or do you mean where do i get my parts? I get 100% of my computer needs from newegg http://www.newegg.com/

Look at all the terms and tech lingo that I don't know D:

Sorry for breaking the flow of conversation, I just came here to ask how to get into this kind of stuff ;u; Always wanted to build things (computers specifically). I was going to join the Robotics team at my school this year, but no luck there thanks to classes. TTuTT

feel free to ignore me carry on 

Edited by Kitsuki

Can usually check by looking at the part its self, order history where you ordered the parts(its only a truly custom PC if you ordered every part separately like me), or by using https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Or do you mean where do i get my parts? I get 100% of my computer needs from newegg http://www.newegg.com/

Ahh I've come across that site. Their stuff is actually quite cheap relative to prices here. Sadly, the reduce in price matches the cost of shipping here x.x

Look at all the terms and tech lingo that I don't know D:

Sorry for breaking the flow of conversation, I just came here to ask how to get into this kind of stuff ;u; Always wanted to build things (computers specifically). I was going to join the Robotics team at my school this year, but no luck there thanks to classes. TTuTT

feel free to ignore me carry on 

I'm also pretty useless and lost when it came to hardware. Well, I've gotten a lot better recently. I've been watching a fair few linus tech tips videos on youtube. I'm also looking around a lot of sites for different products then going away and comparing them. Eg I don't have much clue when it comes to SSD's. Some will have the storage but be a huge difference in price. Obviously the cheaper one is worse, but how do I know what's value for money? So there's various websites where you can see benchmarks and compare products http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/ Same CPUs and GDUs. I learn a lot by comparing products but that's me who isn't necessarily buying all brand new parts. I think youtube videos on builds is a good way to learn. 

I forgot to update you guys, since I mentioned that I was planning to put together a new computer. 

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Gene VI mATX

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: 500GBx2, meh

GPU: GTX760x2 (SLI)

CPU: i5 4690K (quad core)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61

Keyboard: Logitech g710+ mechanical keyboard 

Mouse: Kana v2 Steelseries 

Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Full Tower

RAM: 8GB Kingston (donated the other 8GB stick to my gf's computer)

PSU: Coolermaster 750W semi-modular 

af369f9d383b41adf7a23f30ec0ea156.png

The CPU cooler LED blinks red and blue. It happens to be blue in this pic making it look out of place, lol. 

Ready for MV 

LAWL ready for MV(i sure hope so).

Not a bad rig. Got to love Samsung SSD's. We nearly have the same SSD.

Nothing in my rig has changed since my last post besides having to minus the watercooling.

Why did you get rid of the water cooling? 

Ya... the SSD is the definitely the first thing I would get if I had to pick the most important part.

Since building this, I have downloaded games including Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V and GTAV but I haven't rely played any of them D: So I think it's a good thing I don't spend too much. Still, it was a fun project and I've learned a lot considering I didn't know anything about hardware at the start of the year :P 

I'm now thinking about building a computer inside a computer desk with a glass top. Those are cool. 

I got rid of watercooling becasue it bursted and got my motherboard and GPU soaked. had to let it dry for an entire week before my computer started to work. Im glad i still had the stock fan cooler in a box cause i cant afford to get another cooler. So if it wasnt for the stock cooler i wouldnt even have a computer to use still and its been 3 months i think.

Cant remember since i threw it out. the reason it broke was because it was like 100F(‪37.77778‬C) that day and was prob a good 120F(‪48.88889‬C) in my room that day so the water in the cooler boiled.

Kept meaning to post this:

Computer Name: BigAEC-Desktop

Case: Graphite Seriesâ„¢ 600T Silver Mid-Tower Case

http://www.corsair.com/en/graphite-series-600t-silver-mid-tower-case

PSU: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

http://www.seasonicusa.com/X.htm

Motherboard: Asus Z87-DELUXE

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87DELUXE/

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @3.40GHz

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 (GDDR5 2GB)

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660

RAM: Vengeance® — 16GB (4x4GB) Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit

http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeancer-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m4a2133c11b

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5â€

C: Drive – Primary Drive

The solid state is for my Operating System boot time and AOMEI OneKey Partition Software. I guess also Google Chrome since, Google makes its mission to make it almost impossible to not install Chrome on my C: Drive.

HDD:

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

D: Drive – Secondary Drive

This is where I save all my software that would otherwise go onto my C Drive would go..

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Split into 2 Partitions)

E: Partition – Third Drive

Virtual Machine and Gaming Partition Drive

G: Partition – Back-Up Drive

Self-Explainer Partition Drive

Keyboard: Vengeance® K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — Cherry MX Brown

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-k70-rgb-fully-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-anodized-black-cherry-mx-brown

Mouse: Raptor M45 Gaming Mouse

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/raptor-m45-gaming-mouse

Controller: PS4 Controller

Monitor(s): Dual Screen Dell S2240M - 21.5â€

Cooling:

Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Ve​ngeance Ai​rflow Memo​ry Cooling​ Fan CMYAF

Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan (4x)

Speaker: Creative Labs GigaWorks T20 Series II 28W 2ch Speakers