New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
ShinkuAura

Question for everyone

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should my horror game be made on

• Unity
    • RPG MAKER

Now i haven't really released anything here on GDU and i plan to release something later on in the future. However i'm beginning to learn more modelling techniques and learning a tad bit of code in Unity. 

I decided to do a small hallway level in unity and this is what i got.

hhjlGen.png

As you can see i tried to replicate the feeling of horror in Unity. But it ultimately failed in my eyes and didn't have that design idea i had for this horror game. 

My vision is:

16thqf.png

With Blender i can create almost anything i want, it's just a matter of learning it and mastering it. Unity doesn't give me any type of limitation that RPG MAKER does give me time to time.

I myself choosed a lackluster engine because it fit my vision of a horror game more then anything else, what is your opinion?

Would like feedback from all of you!

I would try using the RPG Maker to make a first draft of your horror vision, and then use the Unity engine to build off from that first draft. Not that I can really talk, as I am still stuck using 2D engines.

I voted RPG Maker. If you have a big idea and want to carry it out quickly and efficiently as you can, I'd definitely go for that. But if you want to take it slow and just learn Unity best you can, go ahead with Unity.

I think it would be nice to make a small side project with Unity, though, if you were to make your horror in RPG Maker.

Unity. Why not try top-down view rather than first person? You had one go at creating the corridor from 2D to 3D, so it's highly unlikely you'll get it bang on first attempt. It takes test after test to get to your goal.

Try making the corridor smaller and narrow to compliment the rmxp picture you showed us, does the floor texture suit the wall textures/ architecture and maybe add a carpet/ rug to compliment the scenery which will add more detail/ interest. Essentially making a 3D environment good is all about layering in every sense and transitioning from 2D to 3D is no easy task ;)

Unity. Why not try top-down view rather than first person? You had one go at creating the corridor from 2D to 3D, so it's highly unlikely you'll get it bang on first attempt. It takes test after test to get to your goal.

Try making the corridor smaller and narrow to compliment the rmxp picture you showed us, does the floor texture suit the wall textures/ architecture and maybe add a carpet/ rug to compliment the scenery which will add more detail/ interest. Essentially making a 3D environment good is all about layering in every sense and transitioning from 2D to 3D is no easy task ;)

I've already tried conceptual demos to make a horror game. I did some unique ways of game-play as well -- It still doesn't fit my vision at all... Although i did manage to recreate or rather re-write some parts onto Unity although in 2D. Using RPG Maker Sprites and some assets on to the engine. Unity's a very powerful engine and complex enough to even idealize more concepts for it. 

I did enjoy remaking "parts" of it. However the  progression i have on RPG MAKER is big and recreating it again in Unity will be such a hassle for me. In other words i am a bit lazy porting it over back to a more advance engine.

This game will be done on RPG MAKER. But future 2D games will be done on Unity with more attention to detail and different gameplay ideas.

I do thank you for suggesting this.

I also Thank everyone who posted here leaving crucial feedback for me.

I will vote for RPG maker. Due to the reason being that you can create a pretty horrifying experience using this program, and it is relatively easier. Think of the games like Mad Father and Ib, they were completely amazing and could scare you whenever they felt like it. While in Unity, I'll be honest, they aren't as amazing visually, but can create great scares just the same. Games like those two SCP creations (the stairway and containment breach) didn't have that great graphics like amnesia, but still could create some memorable scares.

The main reason however why I say to use RPG maker is because of the common audience of a game. Think of the gaming channels on YouTube like Pewdiepie and Markiplier, from watching them play you can tell that they got a lot more enjoyment from playing a simple 2d game with good visuals compared to a Unity game with not stellar visuals. There also tends to be a larger judgement towards games that have 3d graphics. When it comes to 2d games, you are more likely to be amazed from the type of graphics. Just my opinion.

I will vote for RPG maker. Due to the reason being that you can create a pretty horrifying experience using this program, and it is relatively easier. Think of the games like Mad Father and Ib, they were completely amazing and could scare you whenever they felt like it. While in Unity, I'll be honest, they aren't as amazing visually, but can create great scares just the same. Games like those two SCP creations (the stairway and containment breach) didn't have that great graphics like amnesia, but still could create some memorable scares.

The main reason however why I say to use RPG maker is because of the common audience of a game. Think of the gaming channels on YouTube like Pewdiepie and Markiplier, from watching them play you can tell that they got a lot more enjoyment from playing a simple 2d game with good visuals compared to a Unity game with not stellar visuals. There also tends to be a larger judgement towards games that have 3d graphics. When it comes to 2d games, you are more likely to be amazed from the type of graphics. Just my opinion.

ummm you can easily create something 2D in Unity, if you wanted? It just takes more work. From what I heard, RPG Maker is pretty limited compared in what you could do in Unity, regardless of 2D, 3D, whichever suits your fancy. In comparison, far easier, yes.  And Unity can be pretty damn good visually if you have someone who knows what they're doing working with you.

Unity is good for the learning experience. :> And true, RPG Maker games can create a kind of atmosphere that can't be replicated easily (or at all?) in a 3D game. But they're not at all terrifying, just surprising at points. Ib and Mad Father I enjoyed purely for their story rather than scares.

And woah have you seen what Unity users crank out nowadays. That Grass Simulator was ridiculous, no wonder Youtubers like Mark and Feliks don't get as much enjoyment out of those, considering what monstrosities are created. I think Pewdiepie plays those just for laughs now. (Although to be honest a lot of ridiculous 5 minute games are made in RPG Maker, too... it's just LPers play the quality ones that have actual merit to them.)

But when something good is made with engines like Unity... it's damn satisfying to play. Just takes more work to put together, since you don't have everything laid out for you like in RPG Maker.