New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
discochicken

Mapping tips?

I haven't used RPG maker for very long. I've figured out most of the features, but there are a few things I still struggle with. My main problem is mapping. All of my maps look the same, and they are incredibly boring/lackluster. Also, they are  pretty boxy (every map i make ends up looking like a square). Could anyone give me a few tips to help make my maps original and to avoid making maps that are so simplistic?

I agree. After 11 years of RMXP, it's sort of hard to get something unique. 

When I first started using RMXP (which actually was 9 - 10 years ago now), I always got inspiration from looking at other peoples maps. Of course using non-RTP tilesets will help with uniqueness, but in terms of how to use the tiles, looking at other peoples work is always good to get some ideas. 

You could also look up some tutorials. We have a series on the site: http://www.gdunlimited.net/tutorials/member/2908/kiriashi

One good thing to remember for making nature maps is to be random when making them because nature is random.

After many, many attempts at map making, the one recurring thing I had kept on encountering were people telling me my maps were very open and spacious. I've learned to make them as minimalist as possible while still being visually appealing by going through several steps with larger ones (for instance, a large town center or the main section of a dungeon) and keeping inconsequential ones (shops, simple transition maps, tunnels, etc) as small as possible while still keeping the scenery diverse. With large maps, I typically will have in mind beforehand which buildings to include so I can estimate how large the base map needs to be, then put in my buildings first, taking into consideration where my paths and NPC routes will be. Then I work on the background, the features on each house/building, the subtle details, then finally, I double-check the events to make sure they don't conflict with anything or otherwise cause problems with the games mood.