New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
tlbearer

Of Man and Machine

Storyline:

Reni and her brother Kyn live in a small village in the southern part of Unda. Machina and anything to deal with it is outlawed in south. Reni was told by a passing dwarf that it was the people that had corrupted the machina and used it to get whatever they wanted in the past and cause a war. This made Reni question the way that her people thought and decided that the dwarf was right. She and her brother begin to do quests to collect the money they need to collect machina parts. When it is found out by the townsfolk that they were doing this they were banished from the town and told never to return again and put on the watch list.

Lore:

The people of Unda are a diverse people, comprising of elves, humans and dwarfs. They all mostly got along each helping the other to grow and expand the civilization. The dwarfs helped by building machina that could build things faster, and destroy monsters in their way. The elves helped with their magic and the humans helped with their ambition for more land.

The elves developed into three almost completely different races; the High Elves which mainly use magic and prefer to not interact with the other races of Unda, the middle class elves which are the merchants and warriors and don’t mind the other races, and the Dark Elves who are the assassins and stay to the dark.

The dwarven society has three ranks that are normally acknowledge; The nobility that rule the dwarves and would prefer that other races stay out of dwarven bussiness, the worker class which is the merchants, warriors and such that deal with other races as needed and the surface dwarves which all other dwarves hate and believe the surface dwarves have betrayed the dwarven race.

So they grew and expanded until a war happened between the north of Unda and the south. The people of Unda had gotten greedy and wanted more for themselves. They used the machina that were created to help people were used to rob and kill to achieve power and fortune in any way possible. The war ravaged the southern part of Unda, turning it into a desert wasteland. Many of the small towns and cities were destroyed and abandoned to the desert sands and lost to time. After the war the North became known as the Fair Land Region and the south became known as the Hollow Region.

Many of the people of the Hollow Region of Unda hate machina and believe that they are the root of all evil. The Fair Land of Unda believes that it depends on the user and that they can learn from the past. The dark elves completely hate the other races because the war destroyed most of their forests.

Deities:

Lumina: The goddess of light, she loves order over everything. She guards the hope in every person and is a benevolent goddess. She respects her followers and her followers are rewarded by their prayers to her. She blesses them with the ability to convince others not to give into darkness and they can illuminate a dark area for a time being.

Chaos: The god of darkness, chaos, un-order, and destruction. He loves to create chaos and hates the order that Lumina loves. He and Lumina are always fighting and the followers of each other them hate each other with a passion. Some people even believe that he gave the knowledge of machina to all of the races of Unda. His followers are blessed with dark powers to take away someone’s hope and have them give into despair.

Shiva: The goddess of ice and snow. She loves the cold and so do her followers. Her only opposer is Cyna, the goddess of fire. They rarely fight as most of their followers don’t live near one another. Most of Shiva’s followers live near the top of the continent where it is always cold and covered in ice and snow. Her followers are blessed the ability to with stand freezing tempers in little clothing or armor.

Undine: The goddess of water, sea travel and ports. She loves all forms of water and is the sister of Shiva. She protects the creatures of the sea. Most of her followers live near ports or in port cities. Her followers are blessed with the ability to swim well not matter the race. Sailors pray to both Undine to control the waters and Sylph to control the winds during their travels at sea.

Terra: The goddess of the earth and forests. She protects the dwarves and the elves. The dwarves only believe in Terra and believe that all othher deities are lower than Terra even though that isn’t true. She helps things to grow no matter where they are. Her followers are blessed with a green thumb ability and the ability to find minerals in the ground.

Sylph: The goddess of air and wind creatures. She controls the winds and sailors come to her before departing to seek wind to favor them in their travels along with praying to Undine for favorable water conditions during their travel. Her follows live all over and don’t really fight with anyone as they are peace loving people. Her followers are blessed with high agility.

Cyna: The goddess of fire and volcanoes. She loves fire but knows that fire can come at a cost. Most that come to her seek to make sure fire doesn't hurt them or their village. She blesses her followers with the ability to with stand even the hottest of tempers.

Characters:

fbcb7de8-4c1c-4b9a-9bd9-259f8a975b17.pngReni: A thief and sister of Kyn and a believer that machina isn't evil.fb7463a5-5fc5-4e08-ba41-a290bd63a0b2.pngKyn: A warrior and brother of Reni and willing to stick beside her no matter what. 

Screenshots:

title%20screen.pngbattle.pnghuni.pngsave%20screen.pngtent.png

Features:

• Up to 25 playable or recuirtable characters

• Building of an airship

• Building of a base

Download:

None for now as I am currently converting the game to MV.

Edited by tlbearer

Looks like a decent idea to start out with (I'm a little iffy on the nekos--seems a strange thing to plop in there with elves and dwarfs--however, I won't question). But I'm curious how you're juggling all these game projects. :P

Technical bugs I found. Mapping, for one, seems a bit bland. Not to mention you're missing walls where there should be. There are also times when a guard will say "You can't go down there", but the player can just go behind him and go down or do whatsoever. Unless you want to let them do that (I see absolutely no purpose, as there was nothing there in the first place), then event it different. Use conditional branches, so that unless a certain switch is on or something, the player cannot tresspass. 

Another thing. Your man that offered to give me money for finding 4 scorpian tails simply gave me the money after I clicked on him again a second time, without having a single tail on me.

The story itself and flow needs work. There needs to be something more interesting to that cat girl--she simply introduced herself, then offered to come along. There was absolutely no character development, and I lost interest in her soon enough. Imo she's just some addition to my party to make my battles easier (thank God for that, but I don't really care about her either, so it's... eh). So character development and story might be something you want to work on.

Speaking of battles. The random battles are too easy, and they don't help you grind much. I was given no skills, and the phoenix down doesn't work when I try to revive my party. And the boss battle against the lady with the fire crystal can't be won. Every move I make is "null". Unless I was supposed to grind or get more powerful weapons, I can't get past it.

Also, you can compres your game data. You uploaded the demo with the game file you were working on.

EDIT: 

I finished the demo by going into the game file and seeing if there was something wrong. Aember's HP was 40000... way too much. My hits only got 14 in, and while I know you have to grind, it's an impossibly difficult battle considering that you don't give enough money to buy HP and similar things. (And again, your revival item doesn't seem to work, or maybe that's just me?)

That was a short demo. Things were... surprisingly straightforward. As in--there is no puzzle element, or anything that requires knowledge of information of the world you're in. It's impossibly simple. "Go to the mountains to ask the dwarves for material". "Go to the village." "Go to this place, that place". There is no puzzle solving or gameplay. It's simply "go here go there". Just going from one place to another and travelling. To me, that doesn't seem enough--or maybe I'm too big on the puzzle aspect.

But I would suggest working on the story, the immersion, and then technical bugs. It's good that your grammar and spelling get proper checks--a lot of games I've seen before don't even bother. 

Edited by GermanyXItaly1000

Looks like a decent idea to start out with (I'm a little iffy on the nekos--seems a strange thing to plop in there with elves and dwarfs--however, I won't question). But I'm curious how you're juggling all these game projects. :P

Technical bugs I found. Mapping, for one, seems a bit bland. Not to mention you're missing walls where there should be. There are also times when a guard will say "You can't go down there", but the player can just go behind him and go down or do whatsoever. Unless you want to let them do that (I see absolutely no purpose, as there was nothing there in the first place), then event it different. Use conditional branches, so that unless a certain switch is on or something, the player cannot tresspass. 

Another thing. Your man that offered to give me money for finding 4 scorpian tails simply gave me the money after I clicked on him again a second time, without having a single tail on me.

The story itself and flow needs work. There needs to be something more interesting to that cat girl--she simply introduced herself, then offered to come along. There was absolutely no character development, and I lost interest in her soon enough. Imo she's just some addition to my party to make my battles easier (thank God for that, but I don't really care about her either, so it's... eh). So character development and story might be something you want to work on.

Speaking of battles. The random battles are too easy, and they don't help you grind much. I was given no skills, and the phoenix down doesn't work when I try to revive my party. And the boss battle against the lady with the fire crystal can't be won. Every move I make is "null". Unless I was supposed to grind or get more powerful weapons, I can't get past it.

Also, you can compres your game data. You uploaded the demo with the game file you were working on.

EDIT: 

I finished the demo by going into the game file and seeing if there was something wrong. Aember's HP was 40000... way too much. My hits only got 14 in, and while I know you have to grind, it's an impossibly difficult battle considering that you don't give enough money to buy HP and similar things. (And again, your revival item doesn't seem to work, or maybe that's just me?)

That was a short demo. Things were... surprisingly straightforward. As in--there is no puzzle element, or anything that requires knowledge of information of the world you're in. It's impossibly simple. "Go to the mountains to ask the dwarves for material". "Go to the village." "Go to this place, that place". There is no puzzle solving or gameplay. It's simply "go here go there". Just going from one place to another and travelling. To me, that doesn't seem enough--or maybe I'm too big on the puzzle aspect.

But I would suggest working on the story, the immersion, and then technical bugs. It's good that your grammar and spelling get proper checks--a lot of games I've seen before don't even bother. 

Thanks for your input, and actually if you get to level 5 and get the weapons and armor you can beat her, but her HP should only be 4000, dunno how that got messed up. I shall work on fixing those things.

Thanks for your input, and actually if you get to level 5 and get the weapons and armor you can beat her, but her HP should only be 4000, dunno how that got messed up. I shall work on fixing those things.

It's actually 4000. typo there Germany. But yeah, considering each hit landed either null or 12-14 at Level 1, I had a hard time... well, not losing XD But hey, I think it's just Germany and me who have an irrational hatred of battles. Otherwise, I would say it's reasonable. Everything else I wanted to say, Germany has already said.

what I find interesting is the "Final Fantasy Z" title in that doc D:

btw I'm sorry for not getting back to you on your art, school and personal things have caught up a lot lately. If you're still wanting an artist, which I'm not sure when I have time for, I have actually finished a couple other things for personal projects. If you go to Germany's and my game page link: http://www.gdunlimited.net/games/shinsou-lullaby, that's my drawing that's the cover for the page. 

It's not very good, but at the same time it's not horrible :P

It's actually 4000. typo there Germany. But yeah, considering each hit landed either null or 12-14 at Level 1, I had a hard time... well, not losing XD But hey, I think it's just Germany and me who have an irrational hatred of battles. Otherwise, I would say it's reasonable. Everything else I wanted to say, Germany has already said.

what I find interesting is the "Final Fantasy Z" title in that doc D:

btw I'm sorry for not getting back to you on your art, school and personal things have caught up a lot lately. If you're still wanting an artist, which I'm not sure when I have time for, I have actually finished a couple other things for personal projects. If you go to Germany's and my game page link: http://www.gdunlimited.net/games/shinsou-lullaby, that's my drawing that's the cover for the page. 

It's not very good, but at the same time it's not horrible :P

Thanks for your input. I will have a demo of Suikoden Ace out soon.