New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Alyon93

Multiple Attributes

Question

Hi guys, here I am again for another strange question. I already searched in the "search" box, but I couldn't find anything, basically because I don't know what to search too.

Let's start from saying that I don't have any idea if what I'm looking for is a script or some hidden option in the database. Here's the problem:

I wanted to rebuild all my game's gameplay(leaving the standard battle system). What I wanted to modify were the attributes and enemies resistances. In particular I removed those attributes like "Vs Human", "Vs Ogre" and so on, that, in my opinion, didn't have any likelyhood in real life. I mean, having a Holy attribute which is stronger against Un-Deads or a "insectidice" attribute stronger against insects, make sense, but having something like "Vs Beasts" I don't think make any sense. So I removed all those attributes and added the weapons attributes: "Piercing", "Slash" and "Blunt". For instance, fighting a stone enemy(like a Gargoyle) make sense that Piercing and Slash attacks are almost useless, while Blunt attacks should deal a massive amount of damage. Unfortunately RMXP attributes management doesn't provide a further control on multiple attributes. Here's the situation:
I have an Angel which has F for "Light" damage, which means that he absorbs Light attacks. In my game, Light and Holy are the same thing, so, Cross-Blade the first skill of warriors, inflicts Light damage, but it's still a physical attack, so it has the "slash" attributes like swords base attack. This Angel has C to slash damage so base one. 

Now. What I'm expecting is that a Cross-Blade on an enemy with F in Light and C in slash, has a damage output almost or equal to zero, instead it seems that it only calculates the base damage granted by Slash and ignore the Light one and I don't have idea what king of operation does it do.

I understood that to solve the problem, it would be enough to create an attribute for the enemy for the double type "slash/light", but this would mean creating "N" attributes for "N" skills, which, even if possible, it doesn't seem very efficient, yet elegant.

Another example, maybe more comprehensible, is the battle with a Kraken. In my game it has resistance D to blunt e weakness B to slash(in my thoughts, a giant tentacle would be easier to "cut" than "smash"). Axes which are, always in my opinion, an hybrid "Slash/Blunt" should deal a damage similar to base one "C". That is, if my attack deals 500 base damage, it would deal 750 damage for B attribute and 250 damage for D attribute. Adding them and then dividing for the number of attributes the attack have(in this example 2) should deal exactly 500 damage. (750+250)/2=1000/2=500.

Now, after this long introduction, that I hope it's understandable(I'm willing to explain better in any case), what I would ask is if there is a way, a script, an option in the database and so on, which can solve this problem, that is, a further control on the attributes which calculates the exact amount of damage.
As always, thanks in advance to those who will read this long text and will be willing to answer. :grin: 

Alyon93

P.S. As always I'm sorry if my english is not totally correct, but its not my native language.

7 answers to this question

Hi guys, here I am again for another strange question. I already searched in the "search" box, but I couldn't find anything, basically because I don't know what to search too.

Let's start from saying that I don't have any idea if what I'm looking for is a script or some hidden option in the database. Here's the problem:

I wanted to rebuild all my game's gameplay(leaving the standard battle system). What I wanted to modify were the attributes and enemies resistances. In particular I removed those attributes like "Vs Human", "Vs Ogre" and so on, that, in my opinion, didn't have any likelyhood in real life. I mean, having a Holy attribute which is stronger against Un-Deads or a "insectidice" attribute stronger against insects, make sense, but having something like "Vs Beasts" I don't think make any sense. So I removed all those attributes and added the weapons attributes: "Piercing", "Slash" and "Blunt". For instance, fighting a stone enemy(like a Gargoyle) make sense that Piercing and Slash attacks are almost useless, while Blunt attacks should deal a massive amount of damage. Unfortunately RMXP attributes management doesn't provide a further control on multiple attributes. Here's the situation:

I have an Angel which has F for "Light" damage, which means that he absorbs Light attacks. In my game, Light and Holy are the same thing, so, Cross-Blade the first skill of warriors, inflicts Light damage, but it's still a physical attack, so it has the "slash" attributes like swords base attack. This Angel has C to slash damage so base one. 

Now. What I'm expecting is that a Cross-Blade on an enemy with F in Light and C in slash, has a damage output almost or equal to zero, instead it seems that it only calculates the base damage granted by Slash and ignore the Light one and I don't have idea what king of operation does it do.

I understood that to solve the problem, it would be enough to create an attribute for the enemy for the double type "slash/light", but this would mean creating "N" attributes for "N" skills, which, even if possible, it doesn't seem very efficient, yet elegant.

Another example, maybe more comprehensible, is the battle with a Kraken. In my game it has resistance D to blunt e weakness B to slash(in my thoughts, a giant tentacle would be easier to "cut" than "smash"). Axes which are, always in my opinion, an hybrid "Slash/Blunt" should deal a damage similar to base one "C". That is, if my attack deals 500 base damage, it would deal 750 damage for B attribute and 250 damage for D attribute. Adding them and then dividing for the number of attributes the attack have(in this example 2) should deal exactly 500 damage. (750+250)/2=1000/2=500.

Now, after this long introduction, that I hope it's understandable(I'm willing to explain better in any case), what I would ask is if there is a way, a script, an option in the database and so on, which can solve this problem, that is, a further control on the attributes which calculates the exact amount of damage.

As always, thanks in advance to those who will read this long text and will be willing to answer. :grin:

Alyon93

P.S. As always I'm sorry if my english is not totally correct, but its not my native language.

ummmm so what is it you are after? You might not need a script to fix the issue that is why I am asking 1st. 

I'm searching for a way to better calculate the damage output relating to the attributes, whether it is by script or by options.

Well each attribute you set in the database affects how weak the target is towards that element in the enemies tab (and armor I think). You can set the weakness output like that I however do not think scripts can help you make this easier. My advice is set how weak you want the enemy to be and then carefully set the damage output of the weapon/skill/etc and the attribute,then battle test it in the troops tab. 

// I do not know unity well and I cannot code or script//

Edited by GraveBusta

Thanks for the answer GraveBusta, yet is not that the problem. I try to explain it better. If you set 2 different attributes resistance/weakness to an enemy the program doesn't calculate well the damage output considering only one of the attributes and not both of them. Consider this. If you have an enemy weak to fire but ice resistant and you cast a spell which is both fire and ice(just for example) you should deal  base damage using the formula:

(AttributeA Resistance + AttributeB resistance + ......+ AttributeN resistance)/N

where N is the number of attributes your skill/weapon has.

Back in the example, think that the enemy has B in fire and D in ice. If you use that spell with base damage of 500 the operation would be:

(750+250)/2 = 500 

Now let's think that the enemy has B in fire and E in ice, we should obtain (750 + 0)/2 = 375

If the enemy has B in fire and F in ice, we should obtain (750 + (-500)) / 2 = 125

It does make sense right?

Yet the game doesn't do any operation and simply calculate the damage output on the higher of the Attributes(I think), so, in the above examples the program would return always 750 ignoring the other attribute weakness/resistance.

I hope that I explained it better now.

Thanks for the answer GraveBusta, yet is not that the problem. I try to explain it better. If you set 2 different attributes resistance/weakness to an enemy the program doesn't calculate well the damage output considering only one of the attributes and not both of them. Consider this. If you have an enemy weak to fire but ice resistant and you cast a spell which is both fire and ice(just for example) you should deal  base damage using the formula:

(AttributeA Resistance + AttributeB resistance + ......+ AttributeN resistance)/N

where N is the number of attributes your skill/weapon has.

Back in the example, think that the enemy has B in fire and D in ice. If you use that spell with base damage of 500 the operation would be:

(750+250)/2 = 500 

Now let's think that the enemy has B in fire and E in ice, we should obtain (750 + 0)/2 = 375

If the enemy has B in fire and F in ice, we should obtain (750 + (-500)) / 2 = 125

It does make sense right?

Yet the game doesn't do any operation and simply calculate the damage output on the higher of the Attributes(I think), so, in the above examples the program would return always 750 ignoring the other attribute weakness/resistance.

I hope that I explained it better now.

Why not make a new attribute and give it the an example name fire/lighting or fire/dragon  or whatever dual attribute you are trying for it's way easier then trying to stack weaknesses and resistances.

Edited by GraveBusta

Sure it is, but it would mean to create a lot of attributes for every double type skill. Would mean checkin everytime a long list of attributes. And what if I want to use my skills on a flame sword for example? I would have to recreate every attribute including the third fire tipe. Sure it's not the fastest and most elegant solution. Thanks anyway for the answer.