New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
GraveBusta

Livestream Apprenticeship (idea)

What if we have an apprentice system where we have someone new watch and communicate with someone through livestream who knows that they are doing? Can we have something like that? It would be a great way for those of us who are having trouble understanding order of operations to planning watching an experienced engine user work would really help alot. 

Edited by GraveBusta

Plenty of youtube videos just for that. I know that on Twitch.tv there are quite a few people doing that sort of thing as well... I think a quick search will help you find it, as I haven't been on Twitch for forever and wouldn't know which person is doing it. :P 

Edited by Kitsuki

Plenty of youtube videos just for that. I know that on Twitch.tv there are quite a few people doing that sort of thing as well... I think a quick search will help you find it, as I haven't been on Twitch for forever and wouldn't know which person is doing it. :P

Kinda was hoping it would be from here there are many youtube tutorials (I am rarely on twitch) the problem is many dive in too fast or say "you are stupid you will never make something good it takes 40 people to do anything right" Much like extra credits and I think the reason they do that is they feel people will have too have expectations and then fall under their own disappointment. needless to say I am not saying extra credits is entirely wrong but I do feel that was a bit exaggerated and harsh. Yes most projects will require you to have multiple people (40 people is exaggerated) to help if you can't do every single job yourself,yes its not as easy as you think it can take years to complete. I know this is hard and I am never backing down I am making a complete game and I do not care if hell itself decides to declare war at me over it I will fight to the end it's so bad my mom mistakes my irritation with my internet connection lately for an unhealthy obsession. I want to make these games so I can express my creativity and look back and say "Hey I followed my dreams no matter how hard it was I did it I made my own series" I doubt it will ever be as famous as final fantasy or legend of zelda but I really do not care I will give it everything I got even if I am never heard by a company and never get the aid I need.  

I am very grateful for the help here everyone has offered me alot of help, and they seem to understand how I feel. I thank all the people here who tried to help me.

Edited by GraveBusta

A game is hard to complete, for various reasons. Motivation always dissipates. Planning is usually the silent killer that gets most by the end. I think we should be writing tutorials on pre-development. It's the lack of resources issue that gets me. Obviously you're just messing around in the editor and making shit at random if you're going to start complaining you don't have the correct resources to continue dev and you're not skilled enough to make your own. Maybe these people should change hobbies, bake cookies or something.

Anyway, as for this idea, I don't see why people will give up their free time to help out. Surely there should be some exchange to make it worthwhile?

A game is hard to complete, for various reasons. Motivation always dissipates. Planning is usually the silent killer that gets most by the end. I think we should be writing tutorials on pre-development. It's the lack of resources issue that gets me. Obviously you're just messing around in the editor and making shit at random if you're going to start complaining you don't have the correct resources to continue dev and you're not skilled enough to make your own. Maybe these people should change hobbies, bake cookies or something.

Anyway, as for this idea, I don't see why people will give up their free time to help out. Surely there should be some exchange to make it worthwhile?

I could barely afford a 25$ book >< I am not sure what could be given in return. Predevelopment you mentioned would be cool there are plenty of tutorial that say planning is essential but all the ones I seen are rather vague on how to plan. I just have to keep searching and never give up. I thought I would ask if livestream is possible but as you mentioned what would the motivation for them be? This is feels like the biggest trial in game dev to me the coding is the least of my worries its finding a path to take. 

This is feels like the biggest trial in game dev to me the coding is the least of my worries its finding a path to take. 

I just wanted to address this.

Know what you want to make. Use existing games as an example and think about how you would go about doing it and if you want to make something like that. Looking through all the paths and finding out what you want to do through trial and error dooms you to an eternity of searching.

Learning RPG Maker, Unity, different languages, that's all great. But what are you going to do with it? If you're not going to accomplish anything with those languages or engines, whether now or in the future, then you've learnt all that for nothing. Find a game that suits your fancy and then find a way to make one like it. Don't just putter around in every single engine without at least knowing what you want to make. 

^ Agreed. This is what you need to do. As the former dean at my university told us in first year: engage the difficulty. Everyone's first game is crap. But your second game will be better than your first, and these projects will be the context you will build your skills and apply knowledge from tutorials.