New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.

I FINALLY am back online after so much time of shotty laptop usage... and I have got to say...

I loathe that which is WIndows 8.1

Moreso, I hate the fact I cannot access ANY of my Excel documents without a new form of Office...

Yeah, just had to get that off my chest. That and..

I am back...

Welcome back! If I were you, I'd use 8 with "start is back" ...legally or otherwise...

And Open Office is a really good (and free) replacement for MS Office.

About a year ago I got this laptop with Windows 8... either it was already 8.1 or it upgraded, but I know that I detested it for a while too.

But after a while I got spoiled by the nice brightness and display, because my old laptop was tiny, dim, and had a terrible battery that had to always be charged for it to run lol. So I actually prefer this laptop.

Windows XP and 7 will always have a place with me though.

Welcome back! I share your pain in the useless garbage that is Windows 8.1. Windows XP FTW!

Yea Start Is Back is the best thing you could ever get for Windows 8. Was worth every cent and made windows 8 exactly like windows 7. Gets better with windows 10. so far im liking windows 10.

I hate windows 8's idea of the start menu.  Why have a whole screen reminiscent of a touch screen for a phone?  i'm not using a phone, i'm using a laptop where i want a list, not a screen filled with boxes that have no relevence to me.

The tile format doesn't bother me, I've had a windows phone, so I can actually utilize that. I dont like the lack of compatability for my really old games and software, like office 2002, Braveheart, Zeus, etc...

Funny how people miss that Start menu so much. I've always managed without it in previous versions of Windows so I don't miss it one bit. Other than that WIndows 8 is pretty much the same as Windows 7 anyways. My new laptop does have Windows 8.1 and honestly I scarcely see a difference with my use of Windows 7.

Heya Lizzie! Welcome back! It's nice to see you around. I use windows 8 and I don't actually hate it. I just don't like it. It doesn't have much to present and it's kinda too sensitive, It runs into problem easily, and as you said it doesn't open old games and software :( btw I don't really care about the start menu. I saw a few pics of windows 10 and yeah the old start menu was there...I was expecting to see a totally new environment of windows under the title of "Windows 10" but it was disappointing so I doubt I get it.

windows 8.1 is the worst OS ever born,people say 8.1 and 8 are the same while in appearance they are but in performance 8.1 will rip you a new one.CPU pointlessly spiking,drivers failing for no god damn reason and randomly far worse then windows 7 had issues with and you had that god awful One Drive you cannot even fully turn off without doing dirty work. I definitely feel you 

Edited by GraveBusta

Im using 8.1 and have no problems at all, no forced one drive. and with start is back its exactly like windows 7. Then again i know how to actually install an os fresh without all the shitware that comes with a computer. Best thing you can do when you get a computer is reinstall the OS without all the crappy software that comes with it then install start is back. If anything windows 8.1 runs far better than windows 7.

Once you get start is back the OS becomes just like windows 7. you get a start menu thats just like windows 7 but better. You can boot straight to the desktop and skip that stupid as hell metro interface(i havent been in the metro interface or seen anything like it in a year).

Just takes a tiny bit of work but its well worth it. I can see where non tech people are coming from. Trust me once you get start is back and set all your default programs to all the windows standard stuff like windows media player and windows photo viewer the OS will be exactly like windows 7 with tons more features. I have noticed far less CPU usage and at least a 10% increase performance for everything.

People just treat windows 8 like its the plague lol. Just takes a bit to get it like windows 7 but once it is, its well worth it.

People using my computer cant even tell the difference between 8 and 7.

Im using 8.1 and have no problems at all, no forced one drive. and with start is back its exactly like windows 7. Then again i know how to actually install an os fresh without all the shitware that comes with a computer. Best thing you can do when you get a computer is reinstall the OS without all the crappy software that comes with it then install start is back. If anything windows 8.1 runs far better than windows 7.

Once you get start is back the OS becomes just like windows 7. you get a start menu thats just like windows 7 but better. You can boot straight to the desktop and skip that stupid as hell metro interface(i havent been in the metro interface or seen anything like it in a year).

Just takes a tiny bit of work but its well worth it. I can see where non tech people are coming from. Trust me once you get start is back and set all your default programs to all the windows standard stuff like windows media player and windows photo viewer the OS will be exactly like windows 7 with tons more features. I have noticed far less CPU usage and at least a 10% increase performance for everything.

People just treat windows 8 like its the plague lol. Just takes a bit to get it like windows 7 but once it is, its well worth it.

People using my computer cant even tell the difference between 8 and 7.

Kinda defeats the purpose of buying the pc if you have to pirate or buy even more software to use it to it's full extent and yes it is microsoft's product they are allowed to be cheap and cold business partners but my opinion still holds that windows 8.1 is a scam and windows 8 (not 8.1 they are different) can run as good and maybe better then 7 but the configuration is unfair it tells you what you have even though you had no choice. I could rant all day about the morals an how wrong 8.1 is but I am going to leave it here it is an opinion related topic. I hope microsoft takes into consideration that not everyone can afford to pay an extra 200$ for something that already costs an arm and a leg for those barely getting by.But I really doubt they will with windows 10 because windows (microsoft)is a company they will not mind playing dirty as long as they do not get into legal trouble to squeeze as much money out of people as they can, they embrace the nature of rich get richer and poor get poorer it's a sad reality we all either have to get over it or find out own way around it.

BY NO MEANS DO I SUPPORT PIRACY! 

Edited by GraveBusta

^ First of all, I really support and endorse piracy. I'm running Windows 8.1 on my desktop that I torrented from my laptop. And like a few have said, 8.1 is a better version of windows 7, and it's especially great because they increased the performance. People think it's illegal to this but... actually, not really, not from my point of view :P And I have a law degree (although I'm not from the US). In fact, the $200 your complaining about probably has piracy considerations factored in. I can see where the 8-complainers are coming from however; you just gotta get used to things and up-skill on your tech knowledge.

Anyway, talking about company ethics. Google and Apple are probably a lot worse than Windows. I'm not saying I disagree with you about Windows as a company, although they made some smart albeit anti-competitive moves in the early days. But if we're saying f*** you Windows, then who do we support? I think Microsoft are starting to do some goods things and starting to listen to their customers unlike when they had an outright monopoly.

I mean sure there's some ethical issues, but then I remind myself I'd be a hypocrite if I cared about that over that much worse things going on in the world... like the casualties of all these dirty invasive troops and their imaginary enemies. You gotta prioritize, then you gotta download uTorrent. 

^ First of all, I really support and endorse piracy. I'm running Windows 8.1 on my desktop that I torrented from my laptop. And like a few have said, 8.1 is a better version of windows 7, and it's especially great because they increased the performance. People think it's illegal to this but... actually, not really, not from my point of view :P And I have a law degree (although I'm not from the US). In fact, the $200 your complaining about probably has piracy considerations factored in. I can see where the 8-complainers are coming from however; you just gotta get used to things and up-skill on your tech knowledge.

Anyway, talking about company ethics. Google and Apple are probably a lot worse than Windows. I'm not saying I disagree with you about Windows as a company, although they made some smart albeit anti-competitive moves in the early days. But if we're saying f*** you Windows, then who do we support? I think Microsoft are starting to do some goods things and starting to listen to their customers unlike when they had an outright monopoly.

I mean sure there's some ethical issues, but then I remind myself I'd be a hypocrite if I cared about that over that much worse things going on in the world... like the casualties of all these dirty invasive troops and their imaginary enemies. You gotta prioritize, then you gotta download uTorrent. 

lol I know it's not illegal but it is also not legal it is greylined much like private MMO servers but far less dangerous,my point in not supporting piracy is because common sense most forums will ban you if you try to say you support pirating anything one such forums is selling the RPG makers.

Also 100% Agree apple is far worse and greedy

Edited by GraveBusta

Marked actually used to be very careful about that. Never wanted anyone say anything about being ok with piracy, just in case.

Personally, I don't exactly "agree" with piracy, but I do think it's not always unethical. Especially if you're pirating from Ubisoft...but that's another story :P

I suppose the no honor among thieves is a guideline don't distribute cracks yourself,don't talk about plots to crack,and use common sense on what you crack. Follow these rules and no one complains I guess ><

I suppose the no honor among thieves is a guideline don't distribute cracks yourself,don't talk about plots to crack,and use common sense on what you crack. Follow these rules and no one complains I guess ><

Pirating is a little off topic, but I just want to point out one more thing...

The kind of pirating we're talking about isn't even stealing. It's making a copy of something illegally and giving other people copies of it. The original owner still has it. If internet pirates were theives, they'd be going to people's houses to take their computers, but then we'd just call them thieves.

Marked actually used to be very careful about that. Never wanted anyone say anything about being ok with piracy, just in case.

Really? I don't really remember. I do remember tons of people coming to complain about the other big sites closing down their support/request/game topics if there were any indication of using the illegal english version (postaility knights, japanese translation, pre-official english version around 2007). I suppose when this was exclusively an RPG Maker XP site I would have been less open about it, but I've got zero support for Enterbrain as a company. 

lol I know it's not illegal 

If you're from the US, it probably is illegal. Lol. I duno the laws there. It is probably illegal for me to do it from my country in the eyes of the US who enact laws that attempt to extend here, eg breaking a US despite never being there. Any country can write those words into law if the like, in practice it's a little different. 

I actually find piracy fascinating from a commerce perspective. We all pirate and the decision is probably based on our perception of the company/content: hollywood's profits are shooting up despite their bitching and moaning so there's not a single reservation there. But on the other hand there may be someone we support and want to keep making content so we pay for it (I can't think of anyone, but my gf's sister wants to be an indie musician so she'll pay for music). Anyway, what's fascinating is how businesses are going to adapt their sales strategies and options in the future. I don't believe government can sensibly or practically criminalize piracy. Digital content is accessible to all of us once its up there and we'll find a way to beat their detection. It's companies who should take the opportunity to adapt and history has shown that those who do will benefit from it. And companies should pay me to help them do it so I can buy a yacht, similar to the one in on wolf of wall street just sayin'

Really? I don't really remember. I do remember tons of people coming to complain about the other big sites closing down their support/request/game topics if there were any indication of using the illegal english version (postaility knights, japanese translation, pre-official english version around 2007). I suppose when this was exclusively an RPG Maker XP site I would have been less open about it, but I've got zero support for Enterbrain as a company. 

If you're from the US, it probably is illegal. Lol. I duno the laws there. It is probably illegal for me to do it from my country in the eyes of the US who enact laws that attempt to extend here, eg breaking a US despite never being there. Any country can write those words into law if the like, in practice it's a little different. 

I actually find piracy fascinating from a commerce perspective. We all pirate and the decision is probably based on our perception of the company/content: hollywood's profits are shooting up despite their bitching and moaning so there's not a single reservation there. But on the other hand there may be someone we support and want to keep making content so we pay for it (I can't think of anyone, but my gf's sister wants to be an indie musician so she'll pay for music). Anyway, what's fascinating is how businesses are going to adapt their sales strategies and options in the future. I don't believe government can sensibly or practically criminalize piracy. Digital content is accessible to all of us once its up there and we'll find a way to beat their detection. It's companies who should take the opportunity to adapt and history has shown that those who do will benefit from it. And companies should pay me to help them do it so I can buy a yacht, similar to the one in on wolf of wall street just sayin'

It does provide a sense of balance but lets talk about this some other time this  thread is about 8.1 if anything people should talk about how to make 8.1 faster.

*resists urge to say upgrade your CPU and RAM*

Upgrade your CPU and RAM?

I wouldn't know of this slowness you speak of, my rig is boss.

Yep I am not a rich guy 500$ and not being allowed to purchase online was my limit, so I did research I downgraded to windows 7 ran almost 2x as fast and stable as 8.1 but at the same time I was forced to upgrade back to 8.1 due to the fact USB ports were not functioning correctly. The same thing happened on my laptop I have,Kinda makes game development a lifeline for me I cannot get a job where I live and I have personal reasons I strictly imprisoned by this state like I am on house arrest yet I am not on house arrest.

I still prefer Windows 7 over basically everything else. It seems to finally be at that point where I'm not scared about an update crashing me, like I have with Windows 8/8.1.. Man, the amount of times I've had to reload the windows 8 OS because an update caused something catastrophic to happen is embarrassing.

OMG Lizzie's back! *removes shirt*

due to the fact USB ports were not functioning correctly. The same thing happened on my laptop I have,Kinda makes game development a lifeline for me I cannot get a job where I live and I have personal reasons I strictly imprisoned by this state like I am on house arrest yet I am not on house arrest.

I'm 89% sure that the USB isn't dependent on the OS ie not that it wasn't OS causing the issue but that could definitely be fixed. Sounds like your drivers. You can use the same USB slots running any OS on your machine. 

Also who'd you struggle snuggle... if you want money I can outsource web development work to you. Commercial web work is v. easy. 

... Wait a sec

only after seeing this post did it hit me that the person who posted this is Lizzie omg

Leon_Westbrooke, right?

Much respect to you and all your fabulous scripts! uwu

I'm 89% sure that the USB isn't dependent on the OS ie not that it wasn't OS causing the issue but that could definitely be fixed. Sounds like your drivers. You can use the same USB slots running any OS on your machine. 

Also who'd you struggle snuggle... if you want money I can outsource web development work to you. Commercial web work is v. easy. 

HP dude and getting all the drivers before downgrading with HP from their site is impossible it has a built in security that forces you to download drivers for 8.1 only, if you have driver sites that work other then the manufacturer that would change the issue but right now my USB ports rely on drivers that are so hard to find for windows 7

It is easy? Online Jobs exist? I always thought online jobs are hard as hell to get. (Note that was a serious response ><)

Edited by GraveBusta

It is easy? Online Jobs exist? I always thought online jobs are hard as hell to get. (Note that was a serious response >

Well I duno, hard how? I mean you need experience and/or qualifications, evidence of your mad skillz. There's more and more remote work each year, there's a fair bit out there if you look. But then you'd be working for a someone else, which has a lot of benefits, but you could also freelance in something. I'd like to have taken my opportunity to freelance when I had the chance but I've been too busy the last 3 years.

Small-business web work is very simple. I'd actually like to establish my own company and manage projects, and delegate work out to remote employees around the world for an hourly rate. That'd be interesting :) I have a lot of ideas in my head for a web company actually, so many ideas... even in a bloated market of web designers.

Well I duno, hard how? I mean you need experience and/or qualifications, evidence of your mad skillz. There's more and more remote work each year, there's a fair bit out there if you look. But then you'd be working for a someone else, which has a lot of benefits, but you could also freelance in something. I'd like to have taken my opportunity to freelance when I had the chance but I've been too busy the last 3 years.

Small-business web work is very simple. I'd actually like to establish my own company and manage projects, and delegate work out to remote employees around the world for an hourly rate. That'd be interesting :) I have a lot of ideas in my head for a web company actually, so many ideas... even in a bloated market of web designers.

Please teach me more, this sounds like it could help me out.